boca chica beach

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
expatsooner said:
Playa Caribe is the beach formerly known as Embassy beach. The name was changed a few years ago because of the business next to it, Caribbean Sun I think is the name of the hotel or restaurant. It is a great beach with good waves for boogie boarding but the undertow is too much for most little kids.
How far is this beach from Boca Chica?

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
helpmann said:
the beach is enclosed by one of largest natural reefs in the Caribbean. The reef minimizes the tide and keeps out the fish and sharks.

-Helpmann :)

I?m not trying to be sarcastic here but this ?fact?is supported only by upsidedown physics and reverse logic, not by hydrodynamics. The ?reef?off the Boca Chica beach might break the waves but it?s doing nothing to the the tide, the real reef is further out and the top is 20 m below surface.

Emily Lemon

Dec 13, 2005
You're in luck! I've stayed in Cabarete (various), Punta Cana (Breezes) and Boca Chica!
The beach at Boca Chica was just like the photos. The Caribbean sea as you imagined it. The sea was flat as a pancake when I was there with hardly a ripple. The water was very, very salty and you'd to go out quite a distance to get any depth. Perfect if you're not a confident swimmer or just like to paddle. The sand was so white it blinded you and it was compacted to to the consistency of concrete! There was a little town next to the hotel and a little strip of bars you could go to in the evening (bizarrely, they set up road blocks every night on the main street to allow people to sit outside the bars in the road!) Nothing like the nightlife of Cabarete though.
Punta Cana had waves more akin to Cabarete but the sea was more Caribbean like in tone. On several days the red flag was flying to advise against swimming - but people still went in to play in the waves. The sea sloped down to depth quite quickly. Absolutely sod all to do in the evening outside the hotel I stayed at. Thankfully, the hotel was fabulous. There was a town a fair taxi ride away if you'd wanted to do something different and felt adventurous but I'm not sure wandering about lost in the dark is a good idea anywhere just for the sake of a drink.

KKH

Apr 24, 2006
Beach info

I will be based in Boca Chica in late May and will be taking trips through the country with a group to visit programs our mission group funds.

I have read the posts about renting chairs, vendors on the beach, etc. Having grown up on open public beaches in Oregon State, I am not accustomed to renting space on a beach. Can you help me to understand how these transactions work? Do they rent by the hour or by the day? What should I get with my rental? What range are reasonable prices for these services?

Can you give a sample dialogue getting to what is a fair and right price?

And for that matter, what are fair prices for tourist stuff? I don't mind paying a fair wage to the worker, but don't care to be ripped off - especially since I will be traveling in different regions.

Thanks,
KKH

Sep 19, 2005
KKH said:
I will be based in Boca Chica in late May and will be taking trips through the country with a group to visit programs our mission group funds.

I have read the posts about renting chairs, vendors on the beach, etc. Having grown up on open public beaches in Oregon State, I am not accustomed to renting space on a beach. Can you help me to understand how these transactions work? Do they rent by the hour or by the day? What should I get with my rental? What range are reasonable prices for these services?

Can you give a sample dialogue getting to what is a fair and right price?

And for that matter, what are fair prices for tourist stuff? I don't mind paying a fair wage to the worker, but don't care to be ripped off - especially since I will be traveling in different regions.

Thanks,
KKH

dont settle for the price they ask... it is almost always four or five times what they will finally accept.

if you are not ready to walk away, you wont get the fair price( I say fair because they dont do it to dominicans)

bob

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
What is this nonsense about paying for lounges.I have been to B.C. approx. 15 times and never paid for a beach chair. If you are going to patronage a specific bar or restaurant on the beach there is no charge. The owners of the restaurants want you to sit so they can meet your needs.If Jerry, carlos, boppo or anybody tries they are just hi jacking you. Of course, it's nice if you allow them to get you drinks, food, girls, etc. and then they will accept thank yous in pesos. And if you do pay what's the problem. $2.00. Come on.

And by the way, the beach is much closer to 2-3 miles long, I believe.
Plenty of senoritas during the day. All over B.C. It's called shopping.

It ain't what it was. But it is what it is. And that ain't bad.

Great Italian food on the beach at Il Gabbianas. The fruit vendors are an institution. No money, no problem. You pay later. And the old ones, who deep fry their foods on the side streets, like a small bazaar in a foreign land. Or El Senor, who pushes his cart on the beach, in the late afternoons crying out MAIZE!!! PAN de FRUITA!!! There is very little better then his fresh, sweet, boiled corn on the cob or those sweet, roasted chestnuts.

Listen to me. I'm home sick! Duh!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
MAMAeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

Johnny you makin me go to the south for a night soon.
Some cards in The Hilton SDQ, and some more cards in Hamaca.

I have never paid for a chair in BC as long as I ordered a 100 Peso water!

What ever happened to Darren's, did it ever become the Gentleman's club or is that Juan Dolio guy still dreaming?

Tambo'

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Cabarete Vs Boca Chica

I have stayed at both resorts so here is my take on it. I love Cabarete its my most favourite place in the world. So Boca Chica had a lot to live up to. I went to BC in Oct '05 and stayed at the Don Juan Beach. I found the beach lovely in front of the hotel - very clean. The water was calm and shallow even for a short a*re like me. But i actually prefered to walk down to the public part - more atmosphere with all the locals. Not as clean i admit but not so dirty you would go in. Mind you im used to British beaches LOL. The sea off Cromer is a site to behold !!!!

Not as much to do in BC in evening as Cabarete. Also i got hassled a lot less in Cabarete than in BC.

So in my humble opinion Boca Chica is a lovely place but not a patch on Cabarete.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Tamborista said:
What ever happened to Darren's, did it ever become the Gentleman's club or is that Juan Dolio guy still dreaming?
As of last month, it was still closed, with no signs of re-opening.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i wonder when rock's last visit there was.

I have been going there for 6 years...and the main part of the beach is always clean. The rake up anything that the tourists might have left there during the day.

Once you get past the main part of the beach...past the parking lot where all the little huts are...yeah..its pretty trashed up. But the swimming is not very good there anyhoo. that section is pretty deserted..cept on the weekends when all the locals fill it up.

i have never paid more than 150 pesos for a chair rental. (about $3.50)...Sure i probably DONT have to pay that...but considering that they guys watch my stuff while i am out snorkeling...i think thats a pretty fair price to ask.

If you are traveling with a few people...you can always bring a blanket and sit just past the last set of rental chairs. I would just make sure one person remains on the blanket while others go swim. Although..if you just buddy up with some other tourists or a dominican family, they will most likely watch your stuff.

no..BC is not the prettiest or greatest beach in the carib. But it sure aint bad...and there is plenty of people watching to do. And if the beach venders get on your nerves...there are other beaches near by

If you like a big party atmosphere...be sure to be there on sunday...when all of santo domingo comes out to play in the day. Its a blast!!! (if you dont like crowds...then go somewhere elst that day...perhaps a shopping trip in SD.

hmmm..and as far as people looking down and not smiling....

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/396/family4gg.jpg

obviously...thats on a sunday :)