Book store/ children's books

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
So far that has been my experience too, but I thought I just wasn't looking in the right place, since I can only check online and I don't know any titles or authors! I was hoping that would change in dr when I could fine a real book store.

I think its unbelievable for a language with so many speakers!
Alma Ada flor is an author I think is good (although not Dominican.

I don't mind translations, we have lots of translations (dr seus for example). But some translations are just horrendous. We have 'buenas noches camiones de construcci?n and it's just full of English words; sand, gravel etc.:eek:gre:

If there are any good children's books in Spanish that were actually written in Spanish, they are far and few between.
When asked what they remember reading as kids, all the literate Spanish speakers I know mention translations of English/US and French authors (Jules Verne, St. Exupery, Louisa May Alcott, etc.).
A couple of authors who wrote for children are Jos? Mart? and Horacio Quiroga but that is a bit like saying Dickens and Kipling to English speakers.
There is no Dahl, CS Lewis or JK Rowling and certainly little of note for younger readers.
On the other hand, Isabel Allende and Carlos Ruiz Zafon have written some good books for older children/young adults.

Aug 21, 2007
Do a Google search of the best children's books. Then open Amazon and search for the books you want in Spanish. That is how we do it. With the best sellers and award winners, I don't find the translations all that bad.

Lindsey

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i was a kid my favourite books were folk tales. mainly polish but also we had lots of books with tales from soviet republics (of course). think brothers grim but with local legends and traditions. are there such books in spanish? kinda, anthologies of local folklore?

Aug 21, 2007
when i was a kid my favourite books were folk tales. mainly polish but also we had lots of books with tales from soviet republics (of course). think brothers grim but with local legends and traditions. are there such books in spanish? kinda, anthologies of local folklore?

Yes, those books exist here.

Lindsey