Bought New Refrigerator fr Plaza Llama - Santiago

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Well golly gee..............When it comes right down to it, I guess that crazy IS the new normal.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Haha, me too. So, now that the stores know we do this, they'll start putting the old stuff at the back. :ermm:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have heard "men" talking about the new Porsche Carrera 991, pool tables, football season tickets, basketball season tickets, even had a friend tell me about a new bar he has installed in his basement AKA "man cave", but I have NEVER heard any man talk about a new refrigerator LOL!!!!

BTW My grandmother has a sewing machine she is not using if any of you guys want it? Just throwing it out there LOL:)

I didn't post this to brag, sherlock, I posted this because I was surprised at the price being similar to US price (if you figure in ITBIS), and wanted info about the rumors of PL selling 'refurbished' or damaged items. I am here to do something productive, share info and vice versa, not to throw cheap shots at other posters.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
If anyone is interested I'm currently developing solar powered fridges. They are small and won't freeze but will keep butter/cheese/yesterdays leftovers cool. They use NO power and cost almost nothing to make

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I didn't post this to brag, sherlock, I posted this because I was surprised at the price being similar to US price (if you figure in ITBIS), and wanted info about the rumors of PL selling 'refurbished' or damaged items. I am here to do something productive, share info and vice versa, not to throw cheap shots at other posters.

I did not or was not trying to insinuate that you were "bragging" I was joking about all the guys that replied about an "ice box"

BTW Maybe in Santiago a 2,500USD refrigerator is very expensive, but I have been in some kitchens with 8,000USD ,12,000USD refrigerator. Have you every heard of Wolf and Sub Zero? You have a Whirlpool so does 96% of the USA, how would I think you are bragging?

OH I know why because 96% of Dominicans own a "Mabe" I understand now, because I was not the one that said "WOW" you paid 2500USD for a nevera.

Last edited:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
but I have NEVER heard any man talk about a new refrigerator LOL!!!!

You should see my new boots!!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8JsbSolUF5c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
but I have been in some kitchens with 8,000USD ,12,000USD refrigerator. .

The mother of all exaggerations. Yes, JMB, you ARE Dominican.

You'll probably come back and say, "Well, yes, maybe I exaggerated a little bit. It was more like 2,500 USD."

Last edited:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
If anyone is interested I'm currently developing solar powered fridges. They are small and won't freeze but will keep butter/cheese/yesterdays leftovers cool. They use NO power and cost almost nothing to make
Give us some more infos... Website? Blog? Photos?

Dec 26, 2011
The mother of all exaggerations. Yes, JMB, you ARE Dominican.

You'll probably come back and say, "Well, yes, maybe I exaggerated a little bit. It was more like 2,500 USD."

JMB is right. Some list at 13,000USD. I've worked for homeowners with them.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When/If, I ever get a "Stainless Steel".ANYTHING, that is "Hard to Clean", my maid will just have to work a little harder!
She does a great job on the water cooler, stove, hood/extractor,and "micro"!!!!
"You Go Girl!!!!!!"
Christmas bonus, "Manana"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I'm going to tell "Obama" about "Bonos Navidenos", and "Doble Sueldos" I want EVEN MORE of "Other People's Money"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"WW", I bought a "Majic Chef" Micro at "Home Depot" in Boston last month.
It was only $70 "Bucks"!
It has a "SS" front and door, but the rest is in that "Gun Metal Grey" finish that looks like "Grey SS".
It should arrive before Christmas.
I'll let you know how it lasts.
"Mi Suegra" should be "Muy Feliz"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
She liked the big "Toaster Oven" I sent last year!!!
Until the maid polished all the numbers off the control settings, that is! :eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre:

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I did not or was not trying to insinuate that you were "bragging" I was joking about all the guys that replied about an "ice box"

BTW Maybe in Santiago a 2,500USD refrigerator is very expensive, but I have been in some kitchens with 8,000USD ,12,000USD refrigerator. Have you every heard of Wolf and Sub Zero? You have a Whirlpool so does 96% of the USA, how would I think you are bragging?

OH I know why because 96% of Dominicans own a "Mabe" I understand now, because I was not the one that said "WOW" you paid 2500USD for a nevera.

True, they can get way up there in price.
Stoves too can hit $8-9,000

Stupid Dumb, if you ask me

Ever see two Sub-Zeros, side by side ?? new meaning to French Doors

les1

Feb 1, 2007
The solar fridge works with evaporation. Just in the same way as after shave makes you feel cold when it evaporates. You take a small tubular metal container, I'd say no more than 15cm diameter, aluminium works well. Surround it with something which absorbs water and insulate the top. I've been using layers of foam dish washing sponge cloths at a total thickness of around 2cm. Soak the foam and stand the whole thing in a bowl. When the skin is heated and the water evaporates the inside container cools. With experimenting with the container and surrounds it should cool down to about 5 centigrade, enough to keep things fresh. I'm going to make one with a soil outside layer and grow flowers/herbs around my fridge and use the root system to draw up the water. It's small but I have no fridge really only need one if I buy butter or want to be sure last nights prawns are still OK to eat. I'm planning of making a few in Rio San Juan and hope it will catch on.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sound like a "Swamp Cooler" used in car windows out "West" in the "Olde US of A".
The wind rushing through the water filled unit and into the vehicle, evaporated with the wind, and the air tempcoming out was a lot cooler than the outside air.
There are "Gas/Propane powered fridges that use almost no "Gas".
Saw one advertised in Diario Libre" today.
They are very expensive, but last forever, (Not Sure about the DR! :ermm::ermm::ermm::ermm:)"No Moving Parts",and pay for the initial investment in a few years.
CCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Silent" as well!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
True, they can get way up there in price.
Stoves too can hit $8-9,000

Stupid Dumb, if you ask me

Ever see two Sub-Zeros, side by side ?? new meaning to French Doors

I think this is the new thing now everybody wants in updated kitchen. I agree a total waste of money, some people if have spent close to 40,000USD on a new kitchen not including the high end stoves and dish washers etc. I would never spend extra money to have a beautiful kitchen because I am not into things like that. If I had a white fridge, a stainless steel dishwasher ,and a black stove it would be okay to me, but to the masses it would look stupid because it does match.

A kitchen to me is a place where I go and grab a snack or cook dinner, but to some people it is a converstion piece or a place to show their neighbors how great life is.

BTW Their are two type of kitchens in the world to me, the ones with a "gas stove" and the ones with an "electric stove" my eyes are unable to see a beautiful kitchen, because they don't exist to me.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
"Gas" is for the "Range Top", "Electric" for the oven!!!!!!!!!
Only real "Cooks" know that!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I am "real" cook last night I made hotdogs with mustard, relish, and onions with a bag of Doritos and a Coke Zero and tonight it well be fish sticks and fries, better known as "fish and chips" can't wait:)

Let me if you want to drop by no problem adding a couple of extra fish sticks in my electric oven.