Bourbon

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I bet that'll grow hair on your chest.

I sometimes wonder why Crown Royal isn't popular here in the DR?
Crown Royal is a Canadian Rye Whisky, not a bourbon.
I am sipping on a Crown Royal Salted Carmel as I type.
It is a very enjoyable sipping Whisky

Reactions: JD Jones

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
Crown Royal is a Canadian Rye Whisky, not a bourbon.
I am sipping on a Crown Royal Salted Carmel as I type.
It is a very enjoyable sipping Whisky
@JD Jones ... The palate of dominicans goes more into dry/bitter whiskies:
- JB, Johnnie, Chivas, Something, OldParr, Buchanan's...
- There once upon a time that Dewars was the king in sales nationwide.
Another factor: CR doesn't have a wide distribution nationwide compared to the brands above.
Another factor: Dominicans consider the brands above as premium whiskies. The "fronteo effect".

The hype for JB Blue Label into mainstream is higher than a Glenlivet, Macallan or a CR.

Sloan

Banned
May 4, 2023
Miami
Dominican have no palate. In general (not all) they do not pay any attention to the juice in the bottle. It is the bottle itself that gives status.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Dominican have no palate. In general (not all) they do not pay any attention to the juice in the bottle. It is the bottle itself that gives status.
Strange comment about the Dominican having no palate. Reading all the posts you posted in this thread you started, seems your opinion has changed on the Dominican palate.

Sloan

Banned
May 4, 2023
Miami
Dominicans that I have shared my JD BIB with and they are rare as it is part of my "private reserve". Have all enjoyed it. Looked for it. Have not been able to find it. Have asked me to bring them a bottle. I always say no. You can only buy 2 liters when you enter through SDQ. My JD BIB is only for me. I don't even 🤬 with old No. 7 anymore. That is a universal opinion that everyone who tastes my JD BIB develops along with me.

Bourbon in the Dominican Republic is rare. It is also expensive. Makes no sense to since it major in the United States of America. The United States is so close. But it also makes no sense to me that you cannot get good Tequila in the Dominican Republic as it is even closer to Mexico. They speak Spanish there too.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Strange comment about the Dominican having no palate. Reading all the posts you posted in this thread you started, seems your opinion has changed on the Dominican palate.
Took the thought right out of my head.

• Love
Reactions: keepcoming

Sloan

Banned
May 4, 2023
Miami
... The palate of dominicans goes more into dry/bitter whiskies:
All of those are about status except for Something.
Something is for those that cannot afford something better.:ROFLMAO:
I think the tag line is: At least it is something!
Another factor: Dominicans consider the brands above as premium whiskies. The "fronteo effect".
Does not matter what the juice in the bottle is like.
The hype for JB Blue Label into mainstream is higher than a Glenlivet, Macallan or a CR.
Exactly, because of the cost of the bottle. That makes it rare thus implies status.
Never even tasted the JW Blue Label. Is it any good?
Not really a Scotch man myself.

Reactions: M4kintosh

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Dominicans that I have shared my JD BIB with and they are rare as it is part of my "private reserve". Have all enjoyed it. Looked for it. Have not been able to find it. Have asked me to bring them a bottle. I always say no. You can only buy 2 liters when you enter through SDQ. My JD BIB is only for me. I don't even 🤬 with old No. 7 anymore. That is a universal opinion that everyone who tastes my JD BIB develops along with me.

Bourbon in the Dominican Republic is rare. It is also expensive. Makes no sense to since it major in the United States of America. The United States is so close. But it also makes no sense to me that you cannot get good Tequila in the Dominican Republic as it is even closer to Mexico. They speak Spanish there too.
Bourbon in the Dominican Republic is rare. It is also expensive. Makes no sense to since it major in the United States of America.”

Why would you drink Bourbon when real whiskey is available.
Come over to Europe. The only Bourbon you will find is Jack Daniels, new old stock mostly.
I prefer the cheapest Islay over a Bourbon.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
@JD Jones ... The palate of dominicans goes more into dry/bitter whiskies:
- There once upon a time that Dewars was the king in sales nationwide.
Another factor: CR doesn't have a wide distribution nationwide compared to the brands above.

I'll never understand that one. Glenlivet and Macallan are up there with some of the best.

Reactions: M4kintosh

Sloan

Banned
May 4, 2023
Miami
Bourbon in the Dominican Republic is rare. It is also expensive. Makes no sense to since it major in the United States of America.”

Why would you drink Bourbon when real whiskey is available.
Come over to Europe. The only Bourbon you will find is Jack Daniels, new old stock mostly.
I prefer the cheapest Islay over a Bourbon.
I can ask you the same thing.
Why would you not have real whisky (Bourbon) it it was available to you?
I prefer the cheapest young Bourbon (3 years) 610 DOP to an Islay.
I keep Scotch in my shelf for those who don't know any better.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I'm not the biggest bourbon drinker but when I do sip it my preference is 1792. Woodford and Maker's Mark are worth a thumbs up too.

• Love
Reactions: Sloan

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
But it also makes no sense to me that you cannot get good Tequila in the Dominican Republic as it is even closer to Mexico. They speak Spanish there too.
It really would help if you lived in DR since you wanna be an expert on everything DR related. Where have you been looking for tequila? A butcher shop? Go to any larger liquor store and you'll find wide variety of tequilas, unless you're looking for something very limited that can only be found withing a 100 miles radius of the brewery that makes it 😒

Reactions: keepcoming

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It really would help if you lived in DR since you wanna be an expert on everything DR related. Where have you been looking for tequila? A butcher shop? Go to any larger liquor store and you'll find wide variety of tequilas, unless you're looking for something very limited that can only be found withing a 100 miles radius of the brewery that makes it 😒
This thread was started by Sloan under his previous name on DR1, he is an expert on every subject...lol

Sloan

Banned
May 4, 2023
Miami
I did not say I could not buy Tequila.
I said I cannot get what is in my opinion good Tequila in the Dominican Republic.

Please find the link above.
80 plus rating only.
Talk to me @FF1
Do you even drink Tequila?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I did not say I could not buy Tequila.
I said I cannot get what is in my opinion good Tequila in the Dominican Republic.

Please find the link above.
80 plus rating only.
Talk to me @FF1
Do you even drink Tequila?
so in your opinion what is a good tequila. I am not a to-kill-ya drinker, but I noticed that they sell Patron...etc.

Sloan

Banned
May 4, 2023
Miami
so in your opinion what is a good tequila. I am not a to-kill-ya drinker, but I noticed that they sell Patron...etc.
Those who seek status drink Patron.
If you care about the juice in the bottle, you sip on:
Now, if anyone has seen it being sold in the Dominican Republic give me a heads up. During my visits I have never seen it on the shelf.
It is available all over USA and in Mexico.
Last time I checked the Dominican Republic was right next to both.

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
It is available all over USA and in Mexico.
Last time I checked the Dominican Republic was right next to both.
Last time I checked Dominican Republic was right next to Haiti, and USA and Mexico are right next to each other, and there's 10s of millions of Mexicans residing in USA so maybe that's one of the reasons you can find wide varieties of tequilas all over the USA? Geez I wonder why can't I find as many brands of Russian vodka in Japan as I can in Belarus, they're right next to each other? :unsure:

Maybe you should start over with a fresh username again, you've become the ridicule of DR1. Maybe try "TheExpertOnEverythingDR"?

Sloan

Banned
May 4, 2023
Miami
More thoughts on Tequila in the Dominican Republic

Lack of supply, even taking into account container logistics, is due more to drinking habits, preferences and the types and brands distributors decide to stock. It has NOTHING do with my user name. Using the logic proffered here by some individuals if it was a simple matter of distance then Scotch would not be so popular in the Dominican Republic given the distance that the juice in the bottle must travel in order to reach the shelves of the stores in the Dominican Republic.

Given the popularity of things "USA" in the Dominican Republic I am surprised Bourbon (which is a whisky) is not more popular here. I have found it is more of a lack of exposure. As the Dominicans I have shared my JD BIB with have all enjoyed it. Even told me they looked for it afterwards and could not find it.

When my friends are over and shown the bar, no one has ever picked Tequila as the sipper for the night. It is looked upon more as a party drink. In that case dredge sold in the stores are technically Tequila. But I wouldn't even use most of the brands in a cocktail. I would be embarrassed to serve it to anyone.