BPD Bank fees

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I just received an email from BPD that their service charges will be "updated" as of 11 jan 2023.

I decided to go to their website and save their fee schedule so I could compare it with the new rates just for fun.

You probably don't want to print it - it's 33 pages long.

The absolute worst bank in the DR for most anything...........And almost as crowded as BReservas.....

Reactions: cavok and Manuel01

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Also, worst exchange rate and highest ATM fees for foreign credit/debit cards - 300 pesos. Ouch! Hardest bank for an expat to open an account.

Reactions: Manuel01

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
It would be interesting to compare some basic fees. I have a pesos account at BPD, and maintain the minimum balance to avoid the higher monthly fee, Having said that, I pay 65 pesos a month for having a debit card, and any online transactions (paying rent, Claro, transferring to other people) incurs a .15% fee on the amount (i.e. paying 10,000 rent incurs a 15 peso fee). Wire transfers into my USD account incur a $7 fee. I admit their exchange rate isn't good (Caribe Express is better and convenient for me), and I haven't needed to use foreign cards at the ATM, Anyone else care to share similar basic info?

Reactions: XTraveller

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It would be interesting to compare some basic fees. I have a pesos account at BPD, and maintain the minimum balance to avoid the higher monthly fee, Having said that, I pay 65 pesos a month for having a debit card, and any online transactions (paying rent, Claro, transferring to other people) incurs a .15% fee on the amount (i.e. paying 10,000 rent incurs a 15 peso fee). Wire transfers into my USD account incur a $7 fee. I admit their exchange rate isn't good (Caribe Express is better and convenient for me), and I haven't needed to use foreign cards at the ATM, Anyone else care to share similar basic info?
Just so you know. You are getting ROBBED......................BHD is the best of a poor lot................

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
This is why I don't want to deal with Dominican banks. My Fidelity Cash Account waives all debit card fees. My bank/credit union, in addition to paying a pittance of interest on checking with no fees whatsoever, charges a basic 1% on debit card cash withdraws because I'm an old fart. I've been here over 5 years and have yet to find a reason to have a Dominican bank.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
The .15% is a government tax(DGII), so all banks should charge this. It would be interesting to know what other bank charge.

Reactions: Kricke87

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The .15% is a government tax(DGII), so all banks should charge this. It would be interesting to know what other bank charge.
I have transferred money with BHD to someone else and there was no fee............Just to add several times.............

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
Just so you know. You are getting ROBBED......................BHD is the best of a poor lot................
I assume you bank with BHD, so you should be able to share information and not just a comment

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I assume you bank with BHD, so you should be able to share information and not just a comment
What do you want ? a list of every single fee !? You make 150 transactions a Day so it does really matter ?. Popular is just a Bad Bank with a lousy attitude. BHD is far better and that's it.

Reactions: SKY

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
A correction...paying services such as Claro online with the BPD app or their website do not incur the .15%

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
What do you want ? a list of every single fee !? You make 150 transactions a Day so it does really matter ?. Popular is just a Bad Bank with a lousy attitude. BHD is far better and that's it.
People are entitled to their opinion. But, a little information to go along with it helps. It's not just a matter of who talks the loudest or comments the most.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I just received an email from BPD that their service charges will be "updated" as of 11 jan 2023.

I decided to go to their website and save their fee schedule so I could compare it with the new rates just for fun.

You probably don't want to print it - it's 33 pages long.

"Banco Popular of the Dominican Republic of the island of Hispaniola, also known as Santo Domingo, based in the city of Santo Domingo on the Avenida John Fitzgerald Kennedy (ex-president of the United States of America), in the Greater Antilles of the West Indies near the coast of North America close to South America in the Western Hemisphere of planet Earth in one of the solar systems of the Milky Way; has decided after thinking about this for several days, that (excuse me for coughing) the fees that you have been paying since X years will increase starting on January eleventh of the year twenty thousand twenty-four (January 11, 2024 or 11 de enero de 2023), after the New Year's and Three Kings Day but before Juan Pablo Duarte's birthday and the Day of Our Virgin of the Highest Grace as known as Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia..." (To be continued in another letter.)