brake lights

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If they don't blow the horn they will pass all cars at the light and obstruct traffic in the oncoming lane everyone is in a hurry here !

Of course they do, they have to get in front of you to stop and let someone in or out of their vehicle.

Green Left Turn Arrow Logic:

I think I figured out their reverse logic.

If there is just a normal green light, no Green arrow light, you can go in any direction the associated streets permit.

If there is a Green Arrow also at the intersection, then you can only go in that direction if the arrow is illuminated.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
It's OK to drive like a voladora as long as you don't mind accidents and damage to your car. I offered a few tactics that I've found effective in avoiding accidents. I admit it isn't as cathartic as responding in kind to thoughtless and unskilled drivers but my priority is safety.

I admit I don't and can't drive like that. Since everybody drives like an idiot I do feel obliged to force my way through traffic as well.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I understand what you mean. When I mention maintaining distance, I am referring to reducing speed to maintain distance as cars cut in front of you. The cutting in front from every angle is guaranteed. If I react to it by very gradually reducing my speed so there is more than enough room for car after car to do that, it reduces the risk of collision. I notice when other drivers realize I am making no attempt to get ahead of them, they often back off or blast ahead of me. I prefer it that way. I have no interest in the pointless and dangerous competition to pass all other cars on the road. It's especially pointless in the capital because you are generally going to end up in a tie at a red light or a traffic jam. He who arrives first loses because he will have used more fuel and put more wear and tear on his vehicle to arrive first. Another poster said it well, there is little thought about future points in time. It's all about passing that car with no regard to the next visit to the filling station or the mechanic.

MANY years ago I dreamed of buying a used Sherman tank and driving to Santo Domingo back and forth for a week or two. With washing station at each end to clean off the blood.

Daydreaming like that eases the stress of watching the idiots here driving. I laughed at the idea of "leaving an extra car length" ...Heysus! That just lets someone cut in front of you...In the states we are taught to leave two seconds of space between you and the next vehicle on the highway. Yeah, right!!

Koreano is right on about those d@amned sunbeams and those led bars...d@mn they are nasty...remind me of the old cartoon from the states that showed a guy mounting a WWII era searchlight on the roof of his car..."For when the on-coming cars don't lower their headlights"

Driving here used to be fun...not too many cars, you knew just about everyone that had one. I could go to Sto Dgo on my old Honda and back before lunchtime...

Oh well....we do live in paradise....

HB, ranting just a bit, feeling just as frustrated as all of you guys and gals.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Never had an accident here and my car has only a few marks from people in supermarkets .. seems that most people here understand how people drive here so just forget how you drive elsewhere and adopt here ..the most important thing is just to do as is done . I have said it again and again...so may gringos put themselves under tension by simply not accepting that life here is different ..and a million times more interesting

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Never had an accident here and my car has only a few marks from people in supermarkets .. seems that most people here understand how people drive here so just forget how you drive elsewhere and adopt here ..the most important thing is just to do as is done . I have said it again and again...so may gringos put themselves under tension by simply not accepting that life here is different ..and a million times more interesting

i agree with you, though in a peculiar way. there was a point in time when i owned two cars, contemporaneously. then there came a time i sold them both , and refused to ever drive in this country again. getting around on public transportation has its negatives, insofar as being driven by people who should not be allowed on the back of a mule. the upside is that if i get into an accident while in a public vehicle, i cannot be deemed to be at fault.

at least i don?t think so, but nothing here surprises me any more.

Daniel Arsenault

Oct 9, 2014
d4cee90f78ce0184741994c48dc9a7b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk