Breast feeding

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
I will breastfeed all of my children until they want to. If they want the breast, even at 4 years, so be it. I know that it will be good for him/her AND for me. The more you breastfeed, the better...and all world organizations promote it, UN, La Leche League, WHO, etc...the breast was made for that and I don't feel anyone should feel embarrased about having this bond with your children...

Ohh I forgot, this is the DR....

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Yes, it is her choice, but I don't think she should be doing at the school in front of all the kids and parents.

My daughter is 13 months and i am still breastfeeding, granted not all the time as she eats solids of course. I agree with experts that say breastfeeding should be thought of in terms of years not months. I realize some mothers simply cannot produce milk for very long but less than 12 months allthough better than formula does not produce the same medical benefits to the child as being breastfed up to two years and up, such has preventing against obessity in adulthood, tooth decay, cancer, as well as all the emotional benefits to the child. Children who have been breastfed have more self esteem and are happier people, apparently.

Now i'm not saying that breastfeeding a child at school age is correct or not, but maybe it is the attitudes of others that are repulsed by this that add to the problem, associating it with a sexual act!!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
WEll breastfeeding a child at 5 in school its a little inappropriate. I totally support breastfeeding, i breastfed my children for six months each, i knew i had to do it a some time and i felt the longer i waited the more difficult it would be to wean, the emotional attachment is really strong and the longer you wait the more difficult it becomes that's why some moms once they pass that year its very difficult to give it up. My cousin breastfed her child until he was about 4 or 5 also, of course we would comment about it, but later i realized that its a very strong emotion between mother and child that keeps it going.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I know this is an old thread but wanted others to know that at least on the southern border there is a practice of getting the money from the papi for the formula and then saving all the cans and having the baby's photo taken at age one with all the cans of formula behind the baby. This is the way to show that the dad loves him, paid for his support... so the practice of formula feeding is also tied up deeply with economics... often it is the only way to get money out of the dads