Bring in Frozen Meat

Gordonpsl

Aug 2, 2022
New Jersey
Question, has anyone brought in frozen meat with them? I have an acquaintance who tells me he brings in frozen meats of various types all the time without issue.
I’m a little skeptical

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Question, has anyone brought in frozen meat with them? I have an acquaintance who tells me he brings in frozen meats of various types all the time without issue.
I’m a little skeptical
I brought frozen Lamm several times in this cheap Foam boxes. Never had any issue and it was still frozen when i came Home. As fuller you make the container, as longer the temperature holds. I got asked twice about the content and never had any issue. I told them that it is kosher meat for a jewish friend and he can't get it here in the DR. I do not know the regulations about this, but it might be ilegal and the worst thing could be loosing the meat should they insist on takeing it away.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Thanks, I might try a sample size and see how it goes.
What can this "trial" be good for ? If you manage the first time, this want be any guarantee for the next time. Use a Foam Box and 10 Hours of Transport are no problem. The issue are Costoms and nothing else, and about them you never know.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I just did it 2 weeks ago. Frozen meat wrapped in towels in my checked luggage. It was checked by customs leaving canada. I know this because they left a form in the bag, so no issue there. Arriving here I was not asked nor was the bag checked by customs. Still frozen when I got home. Total travel time from packing to unpacking was about 9 hours.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
Yes you can, NOT an Issue ... just focus on how to pack it to keep it frozen solid . IMO Keep it on Dry ice all the way to the departing airport, then wrap in Styrofoam, or a Styro Box is best , thats how Omaha Steaks ships their stuff, but they put dry ice into the box which the FAA allows but Some Airlines dont ,
you re also allowed to use ICE PACKS but they must be ROCK SOLID, so also keep those in a Styro cooler with the Dry ice, until you are ready to go into the Airport .
But if your Steaks are frozen from Dry ice Cold, you really dont need any ice Packs . and Ice packs are unnecessary weight .

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I've brought frozen meats into Puerto Plata, and Santo Domingo many times without problems. I always wrap the frozen meat with multiple layers of newspaper, it's not bulky and keeps everything frozen for more than 8 hours.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
Just curious if you guys think that Deep freezing with Dry ice is overkill ?
That is how I do it .. as it becomes so hard that if you dropped the steak , i think it could actually shatter .
Dry ice has many many fine uses .

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Just curious if you guys think that Deep freezing with Dry ice is overkill ?
That is how I do it .. as it becomes so hard that if you dropped the steak , i think it could actually shatter .
Dry ice has many many fine uses .
Over kill… I freeze two prime ribs still solid frozen after 10 hrs

Reactions: jd426

clff4u

Sep 6, 2006
Just make sure the prime ribs are boneless or the custom agents will have a great night,,,,no bones allowed..15 years of experience

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Never boneless :p haven’t lost one yet ..my ridgeback would disown me..
I have brought in Frenched ribeye steaks with no issues. That is the smaller version of a tomahawk steak, so bone-in.