Bringing cash into the country

Status
Not open for further replies.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Even if the OP makes it through customs OK, another problem is how to keep that much cash secure during the stay (and live to tell about it)....

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I have a few questions about bringing a large amount of cash - over 10k U.S. - into the country. I will be in the country for 45 days and simply do not want to try my luck with the ATM's.

I?d say that with some minor preparation and planning, you are not "trying your luck" by using ATMs or electronic transfers, but you definitely are even playing with your life by bringing that amount in cash, first declaring that in a public forum and then declaring to the Dominican authorities...

It could be that I?m just paranoid, but I having lived in the DR for 5+ years, I would never do something like this...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
FloridaMike,

Make sure all your affairs are in order prior to arrival.​

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Unnecessary and provocative comment duly noted.

You are the one who claims you already know what city he lives in, do you have his flight number yet? And you are the one who hacked into my Facebook account and posted pics here of me and even my brother, Yes Original Poster I would be very careful of this guy!
Der Fish

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
OP,

Search news reports (in Spanish) and the thread here on DR1 about the Lady who brought in a really large sum of cash, and was promptly relieved of it by customs officials at the airport for personal gain. Some of whom were later charged. Also not long ago agents of the police intercepted a driver known to be carrying cash and took it.

The origins of said cash notwithstanding.

An important and often talked about theme in this country just like at home, is reducing your exposure to risk by making informed, smart decisions on how you go about your daily activities. In the DR, the amount needed to precipitate misfortune is but a fraction of the amount usually needed at home.

There is a reason people people choose not to swim with sharks while bleeding...

You can decide to do whatever you want. It has been said here, that large sums of money can become an issue I am sure you would prefer to avoid. Is the convenience of having all your cash in one place worth the risk of doing so? That you have to answer that question for yourself just as you do when you choose to cross the street against a red light.

I suspect because you had to ask, you're spidey sense is already tingling...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You are the one who claims you already know what city he lives in, do you have his flight number yet? And you are the one who hacked into my Facebook account and posted pics here of me and even my brother, Yes Original Poster I would be very careful of this guy!
Der Fish

Be careful how you choose your words Deryl, nobody HACKED into your public Facebook profile.
I would post the public link, but that is a TOS violation of this board.
You are treading on thin ice my freng.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Bickering stops now.

To Florida Mike - I'd be more worried about keeping that cash safe after arrival than getting through customs with it. We often bring $9,000+ in cash on the plane with us, but the next day it's deposited in our dollar bank account. It's simply not safe to keep that kind of cash ANYWHERE but in a bank in DR.

Jan 7, 2016
Bickering stops now.

To Florida Mike - I'd be more worried about keeping that cash safe after arrival than getting through customs with it. We often bring $9,000+ in cash on the plane with us, but the next day it's deposited in our dollar bank account. It's simply not safe to keep that kind of cash ANYWHERE but in a bank in DR.

On POINT, AE...Unless I was buying property or a car or a very expensive Moto, spending over 10,000 US here in 45 days sounds a little excessive...you could stay at the finest resort, travel extensively and never spend that amount.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Whether you declare or not, these are perfect for large cash carry. It keeps the cash close at hand, you always know it's there and safe.

Different colored belt loops so it even blends in with any belt color, you then drape the bag inside our pants.
You can put in quite a wad of 100's before it's noticeable. As long as nobody looks inside your pants.

RFID_Loop_Wallet_1237.jpg

http://www.1ststoptravelstore.com/LNC Security/RFID/RFID_passport_travel_loop_wallet.htm

Jan 7, 2016
Whether you declare or not, these are perfect for large cash carry. It keeps the cash close at hand, you always know it's there and safe.

Different colored belt loops so it even blends in with any belt color, you then drape the bag inside our pants.
You can put in quite a wad of 100's before it's noticeable. As long as nobody looks inside your pants.

RFID_Loop_Wallet_1237.jpg

http://www.1ststoptravelstore.com/LNC Security/RFID/RFID_passport_travel_loop_wallet.htm

Except the TSA...pat-downs are a reality and happen with an increased frequency at TSA Security Check Points at all U.S. airports.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
haha i bought a wad of cash with me of course i had my secret safe place in my rooms....but this once i had a small stack of hundreds and i stashed them in the light fixture.....as i never use it ...ha the maids came in turned on bathroom light....was called downstairs for an hour and all my hundreds ended up with a hole thru them......useless in d.r. of course when i returned to states i exchanged them at the bank......big cash .....brin:disappoing all you can and divide it into smaller piles so if anything happens u got some somewhere else...

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Bring some cash, but just use your credit card inside the bank (not at the ATM outside) and get a cash advance. All you need is your passport and there are no fees.

Super simple. What Seamonkey said.
Sorry for floggin the bejeezus out of a dead horse.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have a few questions about bringing a large amount of cash - over 10k U.S. - into the country. I will be in the country for 45 days and simply do not want to try my luck with the ATM's. Anybody know if Customs sends this info when I make the declaration in the United States? When I arrive in the DR what can I expect from authorities here? Should I expect a hassle or should I be concerned that they may try to take the cash for any reason? I plan to honestly fill out the Customs form on the flight in so I am not going to give them a reason to take it.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME! You would not need even half that amount for 45 days. Do you have a specific reason to bring in that amount? Are you giving someone a bunch of cash? I would not bring that amount of cash into the country. First if you declare it that will send up a red flag to customs. Secondly, someone in the DR who sees this might make a cal and you could be robbed. You are not only crazy but irresponsible to consider doing this. Bring some cash if you must but also use the ATMs. DO NOT under any circumstance bring in 10,000usd or more where you feel you need to declare this. The less people know this fact the better. You may think I am over the top but I have seen it happen.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
And not a single response from the OP?
Quack quack... qua quack quack quack!

Status
Not open for further replies.