BRINGING IN FOOD/ GROCERIES PRODUCTS INTO DR AIRPORTS FROM USA 🇺🇸

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Brought in a frozen turkey, 3-4 years ago. Nobody said a thing..had to bring it as a carry on since it was to big for the suitcase. Short flight from Canada, it stayed frozen.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Don’t know why I submit myself to answering. It is hit or miss. There is a cute little Snoopy type critter at POP airport these days. Sniff
ing out food in luggage. Stay away from it. Meat, cheese, fruit and raw veggies is what the cute little critter wanted. Took my hot dogs and pepperoni stick that were packed on top. Had a sh!tload of other items under all my clothes and gifts but I guess the dude was to lazy to dig. I would guess the pepperoni smelled like Pupperoni dog snacks.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Don’t know why I submit myself to answering. It is hit or miss. There is a cute little Snoopy type critter at POP airport these days. Sniff
ing out food in luggage. Stay away from it. Meat, cheese, fruit and raw veggies is what the cute little critter wanted. Took my hot dogs and pepperoni stick that were packed on top. Had a sh!tload of other items under all my clothes and gifts but I guess the dude was to lazy to dig. I would guess the pepperoni smelled like Pupperoni dog snacks.

None of those are allowed, except meat if it's frozen.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
None of those are allowed, except meat if it's frozen.

I never knew about the cheese. I normally bring in a 2 pound sealed bag of grated Romano cheese and a big chunk of Parmesan. And frozen Jimmy Dean sausage for a dear friend 😊

Reactions: rey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I never knew about the cheese. I normally bring in a 2 pound sealed bag of grated Romano cheese and a big chunk of Parmesan. And frozen Jimmy Dean sausage for a dear friend 😊
I think anything commercially sealed gets a pass too.

I know that dear friend is a deeply grateful one!! :giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: AlterEgo and rey

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
As someone who brings in 50 lb. suitcases of kosher products whenever I return from the First World, here's the deal. I have called the airlines and checked with vendors: All and any meat products must be frozen and in original packaging. Liquids (milk, juice, etc.) should also be frozen. Entire contents must be enclosed in a plastic bag (those air sucker bags are great) inside the suitcase. A few ice packs tucked in and around are also a good idea. You also have to be willing to lose some, in case some random agent decided he wants chicken that week.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As someone who brings in 50 lb. suitcases of kosher products whenever I return from the First World, here's the deal. I have called the airlines and checked with vendors: All and any meat products must be frozen and in original packaging. Liquids (milk, juice, etc.) should also be frozen. Entire contents must be enclosed in a plastic bag (those air sucker bags are great) inside the suitcase. A few ice packs tucked in and around are also a good idea. You also have to be willing to lose some, in case some random agent decided he wants chicken that week.

Agreed. But you just triggered a flashback for me.

Several years ago, 5-6 probably, we were flying down for 4 months. Like you, I filled a suitcase with frozen meat. It was almost all beef. A few roasts and two big packages of Angus beef patties from Sam’s Club, 6 pounds each I think. A small leg of lamb. Everything was in the freezer until we left for the airport, inside large zippered insulated bags. We had 4 suitcases, and you guessed it…..that one didn’t make the plane. We landed on a Sunday. On Monday afternoon they called to say it was at SDQ, but they close that office at 5. It was 4:30 and we were well over an hour away. We got up early Tuesday and got to the airport at 8 am. Picked up the suitcase and drove home, expecting the worst. Maybe it was kept in a cool or outdoor place, (January) , and the cargo area on planes is cool, but we were shocked to find everything still cold and only the outer edges slightly thawed. We dodged a bullet, and never brought meat again, except in our carryons.

• Wow
Reactions: dulce and JD Jones