Bringing pets when moving to the DR

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
Your experience pretty much matches my own, especially the 5am Chicago drop-off (could they have put better signs directing you there?). One thing they didn't tell me until I got there is that the pet needs to be able to stand up completely while in the kennel, and there are different tolerances for international vs domestic flight. So while the carrier my cat was in met the US standard, it was too small by international guidelines. Fortunately someone had donated a kennel that was big enough, so that was the only hiccup to the process.

Thanks, I forgot that part. At ORD my dogs ears did touch the top of the kennel. I explained that I had just driven her 12 hours to get to ORD, so I was hoping she would be fine (she was able to sit with no problems), she has big ears (she does, I almost named her "Radar"). When the manager came out, the check in rep explained what I had told her, and that the next largest kennel wouldn't fit on the airplane. He looked at her, grumbled a bit, and said "Ok."

Yes, the signs to get there, half asleep, in the dark, left a lot to be desired (I drove past it the first time).

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
AA, DL, UA all accept checked pets, with varying conditions.

MIA is the closest US point of departure, which would put you on AA, if you're interested in the shortest possible trip for your dog.

AA only flies pets into Santo Domingo. When I flew with my cat March 2014, UAL PetSafe would fly internationally on direct-flights only. So check the airline and their flight paths, as it is an issue to manage.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Thanks, I forgot that part. At ORD my dogs ears did touch the top of the kennel. I explained that I had just driven her 12 hours to get to ORD, so I was hoping she would be fine (she was able to sit with no problems), she has big ears (she does, I almost named her "Radar"). When the manager came out, the check in rep explained what I had told her, and that the next largest kennel wouldn't fit on the airplane. He looked at her, grumbled a bit, and said "Ok."

Yes, the signs to get there, half asleep, in the dark, left a lot to be desired (I drove past it the first time).

We drove around, mainly using The Force, to find it literally just before sunup.

What they told me was the standard is x inches clearance while standing, so they can stretch and turn around completely. If I'd known that, I could have bought the right sized carrier before packing up my life, instead of relying on the previous stranger to save my ass.

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
We drove around, mainly using The Force, to find it literally just before sunup.

Too funny! Mostly because I can relate.

My dog came with my last massive load of stuff from the States and I was more than stressed over the dog experience (to the point that my girlfriend told me I was starting to develop crazy cat lady behaviors) and getting all my crap from a rental car return to the check in counter at ORD (a mountain bike, two huge suitcases, my roller bag and briefcase) by myself. It was quite a sight, but the Force was with me and I got it done.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
We want to bring our 2 small dogs on WestJet with us next time we come.
We have a 3 hour layover in Toronto. Can we let them out there somewhere? That's a long time to be in that little carrier.
We are coming from Vancouver Canada to Punta Cana. My vet didn't have specifics on what shots they need.
He said I need to find out and he will make sure they are done with paperwork. What shots do they need and
where exactly do I find this out?
Anybody have experience with carry on pets and connecting flights with layovers?

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
We have a 3 hour layover in Toronto. Can we let them out there somewhere? That's a long time to be in that little carrier.
We are coming from Vancouver Canada to Punta Cana. My vet didn't have specifics on what shots they need.
He said I need to find out and he will make sure they are done with paperwork. What shots do they need and
Anybody have experience with carry on pets and connecting flights with layovers?

FYI:
TORONTO PEARSON - Accessibility

http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webisapi.dll?New,Kb=askBlue,case=obj(391949)#s12

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Good to know. We will just have to clear security again but at least there is a place to let them out :cool:
Thanks RandyLRM

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Too funny! Mostly because I can relate.

My dog came with my last massive load of stuff from the States and I was more than stressed over the dog experience (to the point that my girlfriend told me I was starting to develop crazy cat lady behaviors) and getting all my crap from a rental car return to the check in counter at ORD (a mountain bike, two huge suitcases, my roller bag and briefcase) by myself. It was quite a sight, but the Force was with me and I got it done.

The similarities keep on coming! Me and my 9 boxes (including my own hybrid bike) + my cat, and I get searched on exit. They opened literally every box. Fortunately, the cab that was sent was big enough for me, my cat, and all my stuff.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
In June 2006, I flew from the UK to the DR with our 5 dogs and 2 cats to start our new life here. It was an expensive exercise but well worth it as we had to have our pets with us. Since that time, we have rescued and re-homed many dogs and acquired more for our own pack and have also sadly lost a few along the way.

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
In June 2006, I flew from the UK to the DR with our 5 dogs and 2 cats to start our new life here. It was an expensive exercise but well worth it as we had to have our pets with us. Since that time, we have rescued and re-homed many dogs and acquired more for our own pack and have also sadly lost a few along the way.

I think that's great.

It is true about how many people here see dogs, more as property than as a member of the family. Too bad more didn't get to watch this:

The smartest dog in the world - CBS News

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

You need an international travel form filled out and signed by the vet. You have to have proof the dogs have had their rabies shots. I believe other than that you are good to go. When you get to Punta Cana and after you go through customs and immigration a DR official will spot you and you have to accompany them with the dogs. They will check your paper work. You need to pay somethings like 400 pesos per dog or around $10usd. They will stamp your document and you are good to go. Make sure you keep the copy of the receipt they give you when entering the country with your pets. You will need this when you leave. Depending how long you are staying in the DR, you may have to go to a Dominican vet to get a new international form signed for the return trip. Make sure you bring proof of RABIES vaccine so that the vet has no problems filling out the form. I don't recall but the international form is only good so many days before you fly so as I said if your stay in the DR is more than a couple of weeks than you probably will have to contact a DR vet to get a form for the return flight. This is not cheap. They may charge you $50usd per dog. Remember to when flying home that you need to locate the animal office at the airport and get your paperwork approved before you check in at the counter for your flight. As far as your layover in Toronto, since you have three hours you will have to exit the airport to take your dogs outside and then go back through security to get back to the gate. I am sure you know this, also, but make sure you have a soft sided dog carrier that can be pushed under the seat in front of you. If you can get seats with extended leg room it is worth the price for your pet. I brought a mini schnauzer to the DR for six months at a time and she loved the beach but remember there are a lot of fleas and mosquitoes at night. I don't know if you give your dogs monthly heart worm pills but you need to do that in the DR but of the disease mosquitoes can transmit. Good luck on your trip.

buenviaje

Feb 10, 2015
Wow! Thanks for all the excellent info everyone! This has been incredibly helpful! Now on to the next thought: who knows good apartments to rent that allow dogs?!

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Wow! Thanks for all the excellent info everyone! This has been incredibly helpful! Now on to the next thought: who knows good apartments to rent that allow dogs?!

The records are time-sensitive. One set must be older than 30 days (I think the shots) and the checkup must be within 2 weeks of travel. Yes, it basically mandates 2 trips to the vet. Mine had dealt with such things, so they knew where to go for information. But it did require some calendar-shuffling.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
You need an international travel form filled out and signed by the vet. You have to have proof the dogs have had their rabies shots. I believe other than that you are good to go. When you get to Punta Cana and after you go through customs and immigration a DR official will spot you and you have to accompany them with the dogs. They will check your paper work. You need to pay somethings like 400 pesos per dog or around $10usd. They will stamp your document and you are good to go. Make sure you keep the copy of the receipt they give you when entering the country with your pets. You will need this when you leave. Depending how long you are staying in the DR, you may have to go to a Dominican vet to get a new international form signed for the return trip. Make sure you bring proof of RABIES vaccine so that the vet has no problems filling out the form. I don't recall but the international form is only good so many days before you fly so as I said if your stay in the DR is more than a couple of weeks than you probably will have to contact a DR vet to get a form for the return flight. This is not cheap. They may charge you $50usd per dog. Remember to when flying home that you need to locate the animal office at the airport and get your paperwork approved before you check in at the counter for your flight. As far as your layover in Toronto, since you have three hours you will have to exit the airport to take your dogs outside and then go back through security to get back to the gate. I am sure you know this, also, but make sure you have a soft sided dog carrier that can be pushed under the seat in front of you. If you can get seats with extended leg room it is worth the price for your pet. I brought a mini schnauzer to the DR for six months at a time and she loved the beach but remember there are a lot of fleas and mosquitoes at night. I don't know if you give your dogs monthly heart worm pills but you need to do that in the DR but of the disease mosquitoes can transmit. Good luck on your trip.

Great info ,thanks. We will def giving them flea/parasite treatments. Good reminder.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Don't know what your budget is. Try this web site: vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner) you may find something here.

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014

Also try AirBnb.

One of the things I noticed in looking for long term places was that it was much easier to find a place that was ok with dogs than it was in the States. There are also no "breed restrictions" here, which was good for my bog dog.