Bringing the Computer

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Now that we have established that Mainer is neither good-looking, sexy, nor single........

Actually Ken, having Steven along sometimes does get us through lines quickly. He doesn't wait well as I think you saw...

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
Parking hard drive

I've been reading this board forever, and since I hope to be moving there shortly, I figured it's time to make a contribution. Unless your computer is really old, don't worry about parking the hard drive. This was necessary on computers built 5 or more years ago, but not today. I will hopefully become the local computer geek for you guys when I move there. Many thanks to Grahame for all the advice.
Bob

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Thanks,
The computer is only a year or two old. When you say "old" computers, I think of the ones from High School with the punch cards. Anyone remember them?

I found the book to the scanner. Nothing that I can find about transporting it. It only says to use it on a level surface.

I guess that I will try it. Maybe as a carry-on.

See you guys soon.
Mainer

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I wouldn't worry about "parking" the hard drive, mainer. We bought our desktop in Puerto Rico, unpacked it so we could fit the parts in available spaces in our sailboat, and brought it to Samana. When we got to Samana and were preparing to move off the boat into our condo in Sosua, we got a couple of guys to help us. We put the computer components in plastic bags to protect them from the salt spray, but all were carried ashore in a dinghy, then carried up a hill (on the head of person carrying the CPU and the monitor) to the road where we had transportation. When we got to Sosua, we connected everything and have been using the computer since then without trouble. What you plan is a piece of cake in comparison.

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
Mainer

I've been in the computer business a long time, and I'm sorry to say that yes I do remember the punch cards. I also remember when "pong" came out as the first video game and we thought that it was amazing. Showing my age, huh?

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Another question

How much will it cost (approx) to buy an average monitor down there? And where would we get one.

Also, if we leave the printer and the scanner here, can we replace them for a reasonable price?

What are the recommendations??

Thanks,
Mainer

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Thanks, Pib

If I am on the North Shore, where would I go to get this stuff??
Are there PC's available there, Santiago, Santo Domingo??

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Thanks Pib,
We need to think this one out and decide whether or not we want to lug the whole thing.

Either choice is cheaper than a laptop.
Mainer