BroadbAnd Internet and Vonage

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Internet and Vonage

Vonage is excellent, you must use the small linksys router, which is 3" square, the larger routers use too much bandwith and then there are delays

Vanage USA is less expensive than Vonage Canada, if you can still order Vonage...they apparently cannot take on new customers

Existing customers like myself can add more lines, I have several routers

I think you should read this as Vonage successfully won their appeal:-

Vonage Wins Stay in Verizon Dispute - washingtonpost.com

I, personally use an Irish provider that works perfectly in Puerta Plata.

John

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Vonage & Routers

We brought, from Canada, the "combination" Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router With 2 Phone Ports (model WRT54GP2). We had used this in Canada on a DSL connection, for months, and the phone quality was very good. Vonage recommended this unit, when we were first shopping around, as it's "all in one" i.e. one less thing to go wrong. I know, I know, it's also a "single point of failure". The Vonage phone quality here is not near as good as in Canada. I haven't run any speed tests yet, to see actual speeds (and I suspect High Speed is not High Speed) but I'm wondering if the 2 router scenario is part of the problem/equation.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Vonage & Speed

I just Googled "Vonage Speed Test" and ran their test. Here's the results - download speed 277 Kbps, upload speed 399 Kbps. Their chart says this is somewhere between ISDN 128 Kbps and DSL/T1 1500 Kbps, about the level of Satellite - 400 Kbps. I've run the test a few minutes later, and while the numbers are not exactly the same, they are in the same general range.

I'm not a techie - is this a reliable test, and are these realistic numbers ? Is this good, for the DR North Coast ?