bUILDING A HOUSE IN THE DR

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Thanks for the info, that makes more sense for the high cost. Here if you would build your own home and sub out the work it's about $40 a square foot. You're right about the prices down here for selling your home there outrageous. I own my own home and I live at my father's due to his illness so I just go there once a week and check on it I'd be crazy to sell it . prices keep going up but it would be a good way to put $200,000 into the bank for me. I can tell for that kind of money I wouldn't get that much of a house in the dr but like most people I'd probably just end up renting or buying a small condo. ;)

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
easygoin said:
Thanks for the info, that makes more sense for the high cost. Here if you would build your own home and sub out the work it's about $40 a square foot. You're right about the prices down here for selling your home there outrageous. I own my own home and I live at my father's due to his illness so I just go there once a week and check on it I'd be crazy to sell it . prices keep going up but it would be a good way to put $200,000 into the bank for me. I can tell for that kind of money I wouldn't get that much of a house in the dr but like most people I'd probably just end up renting or buying a small condo. ;)

All depends where you are planning to move. 200thou in Santiago gets you a very nice home or condo.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Piper thanks again for your reply, as far as investing in property and homes im pretty set on that. I cannot make any decisions at the time in my life because my father's health. But if I was to move their it would be Santiago for sure. Because the heritage and form what I hear it's a beautiful climate. But I really like Brazil also beautiful people and culture to the country and. The prices that I've been hearing to build in the DR is a lot more than Brazil. Maybe because Brazil is such vast country things are cheaper ? But when I come to the DR I will definitely look into it. I am only 40 years old so I have plenty of time to think about it, but it would be nice to get something started. That's again ;) ;)

bags-to-beaches

Jan 8, 2005
thepiper said:
Hi Drgirl, I have a construction comany and can help if you give me the following information:

1.Which city will you build in.
2.What size will this house be.
3.What quality and type of materiales will you use for a)floors, doors, windows, kitchen cabinets and fixtures.

P.S. please let me know if this will be a one floor or two home.

Message for "the piper"

What areas do you build in? We are thinking of building in the Las Terrenas area. Know anyone in that area that might be able to provide us with some information?

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
bags-to-beaches said:
Message for "the piper"

What areas do you build in? We are thinking of building in the Las Terrenas area. Know anyone in that area that might be able to provide us with some information?

I allmost exclusively construct in Santiago, I don't know anyone who has done work in Las terrenas (one of our most beautiful beaches) but I'll ask around.

Party_Line

Oct 27, 2003
I'm thinking about bulding a six unit townhome/condo complex in Sousa and I'm also won dering about how much it would be to build. I already have plans for them each unit is about 1,500 square feet and three story the walls are 8" concreate block and the floors and roof are concreate plank. I'll probably put aluminum windows in them and a aluminum sliding glass door. that should give you a general Idea there is a courtyard that's out in front of the buildings but I was planing on building the wall and flower beds myself. Also does anyone build using brick? cause the flower bed edges are brown brick and the balcony railing has brick on it.

bags-to-beaches

Jan 8, 2005
thepiper said:
I allmost exclusively construct in Santiago, I don't know anyone who has done work in Las terrenas (one of our most beautiful beaches) but I'll ask around.

Just out of curiosity. If you were building a simple concrete/brick home in the Santiago area with the following specifics, can you give us an idea of what the charge per square meter would be?

1. We are looking at a two story because the property has a grade (we think it has about a 30% grade) and an ocean view that we would like to take full advantage of. We propose to make the main level about 600 sq ft (55.74 sq m) and the upper level about 400 sq ft (37 sq m). The remaining 200 sq ft on the upper level would become a deck with a view. Are there any advantages in building a 2-storey rather than a 1-storey? It would seem realistic that the second storey should cost less per square meter than the first storey based on the fact that there is no foundation, no ground to prepare, etc. etc.

2. We propose to have two (2) bedrooms, 1 bathroom, laundry and some storage on the main floor and the living room, kitchen and 1 bathroom on the upper level.

3. Glass windows/doors in scenic areas (ie living room, kitchen). Wooden slat/screen windows on the main floor area (ie bedrooms, laundry, etc.).

4. On the estimated cost of building per square meter, what would be included? ie flooring, windows, reasonable tile, plumbing/electrical fixtures, cupboards/closets, etc. etc.

5. What types of options are available for roofing, what would you suggest and at what cost does this come in at?

Any other insight or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
bags-to-beaches said:
1. We are looking at a two story because the property has a grade (we think it has about a 30% grade) and an ocean view that we would like to take full advantage of.

Ocean view............ in Santiago?

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
bags-to-beaches said:
Just out of curiosity. If you were building a simple concrete/brick home in the Santiago area with the following specifics, can you give us an idea of what the charge per square meter would be?

1. We are looking at a two story because the property has a grade (we think it has about a 30% grade) and an ocean view that we would like to take full advantage of. We propose to make the main level about 600 sq ft (55.74 sq m) and the upper level about 400 sq ft (37 sq m). The remaining 200 sq ft on the upper level would become a deck with a view. Are there any advantages in building a 2-storey rather than a 1-storey? It would seem realistic that the second storey should cost less per square meter than the first storey based on the fact that there is no foundation, no ground to prepare, etc. etc.

2. We propose to have two (2) bedrooms, 1 bathroom, laundry and some storage on the main floor and the living room, kitchen and 1 bathroom on the upper level.

3. Glass windows/doors in scenic areas (ie living room, kitchen). Wooden slat/screen windows on the main floor area (ie bedrooms, laundry, etc.).

4. On the estimated cost of building per square meter, what would be included? ie flooring, windows, reasonable tile, plumbing/electrical fixtures, cupboards/closets, etc. etc.

5. What types of options are available for roofing, what would you suggest and at what cost does this come in at?

Any other insight or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Let's see if I can help you.

1. On your project the difference will not be a big deal. Go with your preference. It would seem to me, that a second floor would have a better and unobstructed view. The second story is cheaper but you must first invest a bit more on a ground floor strong enough to handle a second floor.

2.From your description sounds like a summer or vacation home.

3.If the home will be used only once in a while I recomend aluminum windows.(let me know how home will be used). For the simple reason that they are much stronger in case of hurricane. But there are many ways to make your home safe. If you like glass windows you can have wooden shutters on the outside etc.

4. Roofing, well I particularly fond of rebar rienforced concrete. This will withstand any hurricane that comes your way at you. But again there's other ways to go. Just make sure they can handle a h-cane.

5. You will be constructing in an area where i understand there is alot of new buildings going up(hotels ,homes etc.). I have not been to Samana in 4 years. I'll give you an estimate and this will include:
a)Imported ceramic floors of about 400 pesos square meter.
b)Prefabricated doors. polyurethane filled aluminum exterior.
c)glass windows

this is a nice, good size home in that you will need little rienforcing for a second floor. So you'll probably just have to invest in 8" blocks for all of the first floor and go with 6" and 4" on top. also try to have roof slope for better weather protection in the longrun. Make sure to have roof weather protected this can be done by Ferreteria Hache the 5mm sheets should be fine for this application. Stay away from a multi.directional slope for roof this is expensive.

Unless you want to go totally first class with this home you can pull it of with about $10500.00 a square meter. This is small so I'm guessing you do not want an arquitec to design.

Now that said let me make a disclaimer here. I know that transport for goods to the terrenas must be a headache. I use from time to time bricks made in Jarabacoa which is a 50min. drive from my home in stgo. and it cost as much as transport to Sto Dgo. Because of the huge inclines. Also I really don't know what materials you would be using. Here in DR we have the cheap(usally something made in china) the not so cheap(something with an unclear origin) the expensive(something sold in the usa) and the very expensive. So thats what you?ll be paying for. This will make a diferrence in the total cost of building yor home. If you have dolars and not pesos, waiting a few months won't hurt, the dolar is expected to gain a few points. Your best bet is to talk with someone that has done a similar home in the terrenas. This way you can find a reputable contracter that work's in that area.

bags-to-beaches

Jan 8, 2005
thepiper said:
Let's see if I can help you.

1. On your project the difference will not be a big deal. Go with your preference. It would seem to me, that a second floor would have a better and unobstructed view. The second story is cheaper but you must first invest a bit more on a ground floor strong enough to handle a second floor.

2.From your description sounds like a summer or vacation home.

3.If the home will be used only once in a while I recomend aluminum windows.(let me know how home will be used). For the simple reason that they are much stronger in case of hurricane. But there are many ways to make your home safe. If you like glass windows you can have wooden shutters on the outside etc.

4. Roofing, well I particularly fond of rebar rienforced concrete. This will withstand any hurricane that comes your way at you. But again there's other ways to go. Just make sure they can handle a h-cane.

5. You will be constructing in an area where i understand there is alot of new buildings going up(hotels ,homes etc.). I have not been to Samana in 4 years. I'll give you an estimate and this will include:
a)Imported ceramic floors of about 400 pesos square meter.
b)Prefabricated doors. polyurethane filled aluminum exterior.
c)glass windows

this is a nice, good size home in that you will need little rienforcing for a second floor. So you'll probably just have to invest in 8" blocks for all of the first floor and go with 6" and 4" on top. also try to have roof slope for better weather protection in the longrun. Make sure to have roof weather protected this can be done by Ferreteria Hache the 5mm sheets should be fine for this application. Stay away from a multi.directional slope for roof this is expensive.

Unless you want to go totally first class with this home you can pull it of with about $10500.00 a square meter. This is small so I'm guessing you do not want an arquitec to design.

Now that said let me make a disclaimer here. I know that transport for goods to the terrenas must be a headache. I use from time to time bricks made in Jarabacoa which is a 50min. drive from my home in stgo. and it cost as much as transport to Sto Dgo. Because of the huge inclines. Also I really don't know what materials you would be using. Here in DR we have the cheap(usally something made in china) the not so cheap(something with an unclear origin) the expensive(something sold in the usa) and the very expensive. So thats what you?ll be paying for. This will make a diferrence in the total cost of building yor home. If you have dolars and not pesos, waiting a few months won't hurt, the dolar is expected to gain a few points. Your best bet is to talk with someone that has done a similar home in the terrenas. This way you can find a reputable contracter that work's in that area.
Thanks much for your insight. I've got a buddy that's overseeing the construction on his own property and hasen't had problems getting building materials locally so far. We plan on building and flipping 4 homes and although I understand that hurricane Jean was the 1st hurricane to hit the island in 50 years, we want to have safe structures. We're buying the property now, but won't move there till the fall of 2005, so I hope you're right and the dollar improves.