Bus from Santo Domingo to Las Galleras?

Mr_Traveler

Dec 2, 2010
I'm heading to Las Galleras, and I'm just wondering if there's bus or guagua from near the Zona Colonial to LG.

I took a bus (guagua? can't remember) from SD to Las Terrenas once. The depot was at some obscure location that I forget now. I think it was near a shopping mall. Would that bus take me to LG? And where exactly is the depot to take the bus?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
the depot is behind plaza lama in the zona

it is call la parada de samana

there are buses to Samana and LT... check with them .. someone can post the phone number..

they may have added buses to las galeras

otherwise you used to have to change at Samana. and i have never done it. always drove out to LG good pick, it is a lovely place

stevegigs

Oct 24, 2007
I took Caribe Tours to Samana, then a guagua to LG.
The bus was about $8.00 US and the guagua 100 pesos

Mr_Traveler

Dec 2, 2010
I took Caribe Tours to Samana, then a guagua to LG.
The bus was about $8.00 US and the guagua 100 pesos

Someone from LG recommended that I do that, i.e., take Caribe Tours. Where do you find a guagua to LG, when you get off at Samana?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
When you enter the town (coming from Sanchez), its on the right side of the main-road, a big market place, everyone knows it there.

Or just ask the clerk at the Caribe Tours station in Samana. I'm sure that you can stop the guagua nearby. It probably uses the route along the Malecon right out front.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Or just ask the clerk at the Caribe Tours station in Samana. I'm sure that you can stop the guagua nearby. It probably uses the route along the Malecon right out front.

That is correct, stand anywhere on the Malecon on the water side and flag the guagua down when it passes. It will most likely be a pickup or a van.

Mr_Traveler

Dec 2, 2010
If you were going to Las Galeras from the Colonial Zone, would you take Caribe Tours or the bus leaving from depot behind Plaza Lama? Which would get you there faster and cheaper?

Plus, isn't the taxi ride from the Zona to the Caribe Bus depot going to cost a lot? I have that to consider as well...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you were going to Las Galeras from the Colonial Zone, would you take Caribe Tours or the bus leaving from depot behind Plaza Lama? Which would get you there faster and cheaper?

Plus, isn't the taxi ride from the Zona to the Caribe Bus depot going to cost a lot? I have that to consider as well...

Myself, I would take Caribe Tours. Taxi not that expensive. Taxi rates lower in SD than in places like Sosua and Samana.

But it sounds like you have already made up your mind. Why are you asking?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
The guagua would probably be a little faster and definitely cheaper and you may not be required to change guaguas in Samana, but the Caribe Tour is more comfortable, albeit, much colder.

Mr_Traveler

Dec 2, 2010
Myself, I would take Caribe Tours. Taxi not that expensive. Taxi rates lower in SD than in places like Sosua and Samana.

But it sounds like you have already made up your mind. Why are you asking?

Well, I'm still keeping my options open. ;) I took Transporte Las Terrenas from SD to LT once, and it went directly to the town center, exactly where I needed to get off. I didn't have to transfer to another bus or guagua.

OTOH, when we were going back to SD, the guagua broke down in the middle of the highway, so we had to pull over and wait until another guagua came by to pick us all up. That took close to an hour. So I guess there's a tradeoff for faster, direct, cheaper service to LT...

Now that I remember the guagua breaking down, I think I'm taking Caribe Tours after all -- unless it has a history of breaking down too!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

the taxi ride from the Zona to Caribe should cost one hundred eighty pesos

Mr_Traveler

Dec 2, 2010

I ended up paying 150.

Las Galeras is ok... quieter, less developed than LT. I think the beaches in LT looked nicer. It's also harder getting around. I'm staying in a clean, cozy villa, which is fantastic, but quite far from the main road, so I have to take a motoconcho or bum a ride off the house owners, who are nice people. Lots of wild horses nearby, and mounds of horse poop everywhere on your path to the beach. It's like walking through a minefield. It's relaxing, but not easy staying here.