BUSINESS IDEA FOR SANTO DOMINGO!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We might be the only gringos without domestic help.

Oh , I have them.... husband & wife team ...gardens and house

Works out well... 
as to Alida.... my two insist on vetting every other employee lest there be ‘problems ‘

I never have to think.... just happens
Whew!

Like the old ad.....

Oh what a relief it is.......

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I've been living here now for almost 6 years. I've never seen an
electronics store selling space heaters. I bought mine on Amazon
and had to have it shipped down using EPS. Depending on where
you live on island, they are an absolute necessity. Just a thought.....
My Honeywell UberHeat™ Ceramic Heater was worth every penny!

What would one do with a space heater in the DR? Like an air conditioner in Yellow Knife Canada. I know that when the temp gets below 75 degrees F the Dominicans are shivering, but it never stays that cold for more than an hour or so.
Der Fish

Last edited:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Another business idea for free. Here in a local mall a couple has a kiosk with en engraving machine. They call it Brando. They brand your tablet or smart phone. $12.50 for 12 characters and $.25 for each additional letter. Have no idea how it works, but they print out on a key board what one wants on their device and then sllde the device into their machine and it comes out with the words engraved on the back, or where ever one may want. on'tknow how many thousand bucks one would have in the machine doing the engraving or branding as the owners call it.
Der Fish

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Another business idea for free. Here in a local mall a couple has a kiosk with en engraving machine. They call it Brando. They brand your tablet or smart phone. $12.50 for 12 characters and $.25 for each additional letter. Have no idea how it works, but they print out on a key board what one wants on their device and then sllde the device into their machine and it comes out with the words engraved on the back, or where ever one may want. on'tknow how many thousand bucks one would have in the machine doing the engraving or branding as the owners call it.
Der Fish

Very smart....thank you.....I will look into it.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If you have room and some money and the connections to import - Camper Shells. There are enough Isuzu D-Max, Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi L200, and Nissan Frontiers, not to mention a number of Ford Pickups and in a rainy environment transporting things in the back get soaked. I think many people would want one.

Maybe there is already a camper shell store - but I haven't seen one, sell & install - good profit ?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
POTUS, if i were you i would take that cash-o-la and hide it somewhere until you get your domestic problems solved.......

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Sure would be tough running a business if you end up back in the slammer.......... just sayin'

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Der Fish

The last time I was at Ferreteria Americana on Kennedy, there was a booth/counter to the right as you enter.  Engraving whatever you need. Even saw pet ID tags 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The last time I was at Ferreteria Americana on Kennedy, there was a booth/counter to the right as you enter.  Engraving whatever you need. Even saw pet ID tags 

I thought they did mostly dog tags...

The other suggestion seemed a more sophisticated machine... I thought

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
What would one do with a space heater in the DR? Like an air conditioner in Yellow Knife Canada. I know that when the temp gets below 75 degrees F the Dominicans are shivering, but it never stays that cold for more than an hour or so.
Der Fish

You haven't been here this winter have you?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
We might be the only gringos without domestic help.

Alida doesn't trust them with our stuff.

Same here, well, I'm a gringo... The only other person than herself who my wife lets mop or do the dishes in the house is her mother when she visits occasionally... Cooking/washing etc. off limits for everyone except herself other than when I help a bit... I've heard from her that her sister used to have domestic help for a while, but she wouldn't let her wash nor cook anything either, so all that was left was mopping and taking care of the patio, so they got rid of that help too...

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
My last electricity bill was RD$ 428.67 for the month of January.
Cheap date. Would have been slightly more back home.

When I am off Solar and under maintenance mode my monthly electricity is around $4000.DOP