business mail us$8 per pound!! another reliable service?

lagatita0617

Jul 23, 2006
i dont know if this has anything to do with this topic but i need help i live in pa and i want to send packages to bonao what can i do

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
After 4 years of delaing with Business Mail I finally switched to EPS.

There is no comparison...in my humble opinion.

BM has no system to speak of.

EPS has great service and a website that spells everything out for you in advance.

I would not recommend BM to anyone.

Scandall

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
BM was once very good but they got to greedy. With me they got to where they would raise the price almost every time I went to pick up. After being disappointed several times I stopped using them. They probably do enough biz now to not need to focus on small accounts. Anyway, I am another one that would not recommend Business Mail to small accounts.

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
Lower Cost Mail Service

BM was once very good but they got to greedy. With me they got to where they would raise the price almost every time I went to pick up. After being disappointed several times I stopped using them. They probably do enough biz now to not need to focus on small accounts. Anyway, I am another one that would not recommend Business Mail to small accounts.

I must echo your sentiments on Business Mail. It seems they have a habit of "losing" packages, especially when the contents are of high value. This happened to me on several occassions last year. However, thank goodness I had tracking numbers in each case. Eventually, each parcel was "found" but not until after I complained loudly.

Now I use Banker Trust and could not be happier. They have superior service and mail delivery rates less the Business Mail (and EPS). Also, there is no membership fee (versus $34 annually at EPS) when you rent a safe deposit box from them. If interested, their website is Home

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Xmai?? Santiago? POP?

There is a seperate thread on DR1 where Xmail is being discussed.
* But, in the context of EPS vs. Business Mail vs. Bankers' Trust, has anybody dealt with Xmail in the past 3 months?
* Experiences? Comments? Costs? Personnel? Thank you.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Bankers Trust...your service looks interesting. I wish you luck with it. Your website needs to be fine tuned.

C

Chip00

I used Priority International service from the USPS and it worked well.

Can I ask what service actually delivers the mail to your DR address and how long did it take for you to receive the package from the US?

Guachupita

Dec 28, 2006
Can I ask what service actually delivers the mail to your DR address and how long did it take for you to receive the package from the US?

Sorry, the service is called "Global Priority" from the US post office. It took about ten days to receive in the DR.

C

Chip00

Sorry, the service is called "Global Priority" from the US post office. It took about ten days to receive in the DR.

Gotcha on the Global Priority - but how did you actually receive the package down here in the DR - from a private courier or the almost non existent(according to most) government service?

Thanks

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Last week we had shipments to clear with Business Mail. They've given us personally good service. We've had the under US$200 thing applied successfully over the past few months.

Just lately there has been a problem in Aduana. Aduana is revaluing items at will. Last week we walked through a specific shipment that was assessed at 3 times the value on the commercial invoice. Yes, a US$200 shipment (2 of those) and one other bigger shipment. The duties from aduana doubled and in some cases tripled on these items. We import these items frequently, so we now what they cost and what the rates are.

During the process, we pushed our clearning agent unmercifully .. telling him to go back to aduana at least six times. He kept saying he cannot get anywhere. We all ended up with an attorney in Santo Domingo in aduana. I'm not sure which tax it is that disappeared as preparation for DRCafta, but an ad valorum tax disappeared. Aduana's response was to revalue goods for unbelievable customs values. Our clearing agent showed us a stack of computers that he was trying to clear, valued between US$600 and US$800. Aduana valued each computer at US$1,500. Computers are free of duties Yes? No! not lately.

The outcome of our own protest was that aduana said we could resubmit all the paperwork, it will take 3 weeks, we will be paying demurrage while the paperwork is resubmitted and the customs officer just about made it clear that we will be paying a higher duty rate and not a lower one, should we resubmit.

Aduana rewrote their book, they are not accepting proper and legal commercial invoices, they are revaluing everying to mas o menos double what the commercial invoice states. There reason is, hear this ... people undervalue commercial invoices, they say. I wonder what Dell would say if we told them Dominican Republic Aduana does not accept the values on their commercial invoices?

Anyone that is an investigative journalist? This will make a story. All of us dependent on imported goods, we have a problem. The DR is rewriting the values of the good and proper commercial invoices, and revaluing at will, breaking the DRCafta regulations and probably breaking some international treaties as well.

Somebody at Customs agrees with you. See DR1 Daily News 9 January story:

Harmonizing legislation to international rules
The technical director of the Customs Department, Eduardo Rodriguez is warning that a nation?s sovereign rights to impose tariffs as established in the Constitution are in today?s supranational world subject to global conventions that the country has signed. In a contribution to today?s Hoy newspaper, he points out that these international agreements supersede internal laws and have a supranational character. He calls for the government to be vigilant to harmonize the international law with domestic legislation and application of laws.
Rodriguez points out that country imports are subject to:
1) The goods to be imported and taxed need to be declared according to nomenclature established by the Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System (HS), based on an international convention of which the DR is part since September 2006.
2) Custom valuation needs to be determined as per methods established in Article VII of GATT 1994 of which the country is a signatory, established in Resolution No. 2-95 of the National Congress.
3) The tariffs are limited by World Trade Organization consolidated tariffs.
Rodriguez also pointed out that the country joined the World Customs Organization (OMA) in 2005 and thus all customs legislation needs to adhere to this entity?s regulations and principles, as well as international best practices recommended by the organization. WCO - World Customs Organization -
Rodriguez recommends that to avoid issuing legal dispositions that breach the international agreements the DR has signed, these accords need to be studied. If not, ?we will be creating legal conflicts,? he says. He also recommends studying the experience of other countries with agreements similar to ours, and learning from decisions already adopted by the World Trade Organization?s dispute settlements division.
?For this one does not have to be an expert on tax or international matters,? he concludes. ?Only basic knowledge is needed, because today all this information is a click away.?
Rodriguez warns: ?All the bodies involved in creating taxes or any legislation need to do their homework before devising regulations, because if we fail to do this, we risk harming the country?s international image, and what?s worse, we could be subject to trade penalties.?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I saw that today Dolores, and wanted to 'fly off the handle', but contained myself. :rolleyes: I still say a good investigative journalist needs to investigate and publish a few damaging articles. Subsequent to the experience that I detailed in this thread, we had a consolidated shipment lying in a ship off of Puerto Plata. The agents kept the ship lying there for near 3 weeks. Aduana tried to get 400,000 pesos more than the previous comparable shipment. It was cheaper for the agents to let the ship lie and to wait out aduana, than to pay the higher rates. After a few weeks of threats that we will let the ship go back rather than be held to ransom, aduana moderated their 'fees'.

I think Sr Eduardo Rodriguez has it correct. But, I don't know who will listen.

As an afterthought, I wish I had the resources, the time and the drive to take each shipment that we've imported over the years, work out the cost according to internal laws, and then external treaties and find the dollar value difference. And then go to some court. But alas, usually it is much quicker and more expedient to pay up and let business continue.

Last edited:

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
There is a seperate thread on DR1 where Xmail is being discussed.
* But, in the context of EPS vs. Business Mail vs. Bankers' Trust, has anybody dealt with Xmail in the past 3 months?
* Experiences? Comments? Costs? Personnel? Thank you.

Xmail is alive and well and located in Puerta Plata. Their rates are more competitive than either EPS or Business Mail and their service is good. They are an affliate of Banker Trust in Sosua. I've found their personnel friendly and helpful. You can see a range of services both companies offer this website: Home However, note that only Banker Trust provides safe deposit boxes.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I saw that today Dolores, and wanted to 'fly off the handle', but contained myself. :rolleyes: I still say a good investigative journalist needs to investigate and publish a few damaging articles. Subsequent to the experience that I detailed in this thread, we had a consolidated shipment lying in a ship off of Puerto Plata. The agents kept the ship lying there for near 3 weeks. Aduana tried to get 400,000 pesos more than the previous comparable shipment. It was cheaper for the agents to let the ship lie and to wait out aduana, than to pay the higher rates. After a few weeks of threats that we will let the ship go back rather than be held to ransom, aduana moderated their 'fees'.

I think Sr Eduardo Rodriguez has it correct. But, I don't know who will listen.

As an afterthought, I wish I had the resources, the time and the drive to take each shipment that we've imported over the years, work out the cost according to internal laws, and then external treaties and find the dollar value difference. And then go to some court. But alas, usually it is much quicker and more expedient to pay up and let business continue.

Apparently, once DR-CAFTA is in place, there will be mechanisms that can be used against arbitrary application of tariffs on behalf of Customs, and from what I understand, that is what Eduardo Rodriguez himself is alerting to.