Buying a BBQ on the North Coast

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
BBQ gets my attention. Sitting on the shores of Lake Huron for the summer, missing Cabrera/El Breton.

The Serious BBQ book looks GREAT! I have my esposa buying it tonite in NYC for delivery to Grand Bend ON manana.

Grills - the half drums are very big - good to feed a crowd, but maybe too big for a small dinner. Tons of coals.
You can ship the Weber in its box w/ your luggage - assemble in the DR - shouldn't break in transit. I did it.

Get the charcoal starter chimney ($10-15) because the DR charcoal is really good. ( Roadside Chicken comes to mind )

All of us have given up the propane to gone back to charcoal ( once you go charcoal you'll never go back - or something like that :) )

With the chimney, the painfully slow BBQ starting problems vanish. If you' re lucky enough to get the Weber w/ the propane start feature -- life gets really good. But the chimney is a good alternative.

Thank you all for the good tip on the Adam Lang BBQ book.... looking forward to burning my eyebrows !

Another tip - my friend in Cabrera wears one of those miner's helmet sort of lights on his head while cooking - dumb looking but effective........... pouring drinks, flipping meat, disconcerting conversation.

Bon Appetit

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Follow Up

Following up on this old thread........... see above ..........

I got the Adam Lang book "Serious Barbecue" and it is serious! Both content and price - approx $35US ( Amazon may be cheaper )

I have thanked Lindsey Kaufmann privately but thought I would share the results with everybody.
It's a great cookbook - recipes can be a bit timeconsuming, but worth the effort and fun.

Another good book is "Cooking with Jamie" (again $37 :-(( ) but very good.
The Brits might know Jamie Oliver - kind of famous there I think.

Recipes are simple and good - not heavy on BBQ, but good results.

Just thought I would return the flavor/favor flavour/favour.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman
May 8, 2009
This post is slightly off subject, but I imagine some of the bbq enthusiasts may know the answer. Where to go for a good cut of meat in the Cabrera area?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Good Meat

This post is slightly off subject, but I imagine some of the bbq enthusiasts may know the answer. Where to go for a good cut of meat in the Cabrera area?

Good question....... no such thing in Cabrera.

I am told that there is a good butcher in Rio San Juan. Castellamonte can help you with that.

We buy at Playero (Sosua) or in Santiago. We live in Cabrera.

I always think that if I could bring in a good butcher to teach the locals ... they would improve the yield per animal.
My experience is that the meat is slaughtered, not butchered.
Proper butchering would be good.

like everything else in the DR ... education is needed.

Such is life............