Buying a car in DR

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks. That is who I remembered. I tried to send him a pm, but it says he does not accept pm's.

Thanks for the links. I will check them out soon. Going to the beach now : )

We are living in La Romana right now. I have been thinking the easiest thing would be to find a car on supercarros. Preferably in Santo Domingo or closer to here. Go with someone who knows cars - do an inspection. Buy, if car is ok.

My biggest question is the prices they list on supercarros - I assume no one will pay that price - what should one subtract to offer on the car, from the listed price. 10 percent, 20 percent? It will depend of course on how long the car has been on the lot. Etc. Those are the kinds of things I would talk about with the gorgon. Or someone else.

All cars are open to negotiaions. Many of the cars listed on Supercarros are through dealers. I would be very careful dealing with them. Many do not fix unseen problems. I would not buy without taking the car to a third party for an inspection. Preferrably look for cars that are being sold privately and have maintenance records. It will be more involved in registering the title but you have a better chance of buying a vehicle that has less problems. Good luck

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
All cars are open to negotiaions. Many of the cars listed on Supercarros are through dealers. I would be very careful dealing with them. Many do not fix unseen problems. I would not buy without taking the car to a third party for an inspection. Preferrably look for cars that are being sold privately and have maintenance records. It will be more involved in registering the title but you have a better chance of buying a vehicle that has less problems. Good luck

Thanks. I do think it would be better to buy from a private person who knows the car he is selling and has maintenance records if possible. But, I don't know how to find a variety of choices. That is the good thing about supercarros, you can see 10 20 or more of the model you think to buy. I don't do facebook much and never use craiglist.

Right now, I see one private person has a car listed on supercarros of the model I might consider. This happens occasionally.

And yes, an inspection has to be done. That is why I am in contact with the gorgon now.

Thanks for the comments. Always more to learn.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

My dealer experience through Supercarros was excellent.....
I sent a Funds transfer wire to them in error after the purchase and they quickly found it and returned it.

The only car I bought had 6 months warranty left on it.... 9800 miles and a full service history from Sto Domingo Motors.

I wouldn't diss every dealer so quickly.

My friends bought there (new car) after me & were very satisfied.

NdeC Motors, as I recall.

As to importing -
for the incoming resident discount you need 1 yr of ownership and are restricted from selling for 3 yrs.

Not that arduous , really.

Good luck with the purchase.

If importing, use Caucedo.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I just bought a Nissan Moreno what a pain in the ass. Domicans don't maintain anything. It is like rebuilding a 57 cheavy. It is a money pit and a
Massive pain in the ass as soon as I get one thing fixed something els breaks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this year for the first time ever we bough a brand new car. in 10 years i've been here we had 8 other cars, all used. never really had a problem with the purchase and the vehicles. we bought one SUV from a fellow dr1er and it was a great ride too. sold it to a fren who drives it to this day and could not be happier.

so yeah, you can get good deals and good cars but it takes patience and a bit of a good luck.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I am in the market for buying for a car for a friend ..8 to $10,000 cash...message me if you have something reliable.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
The Murano was the first joint venture with Renault, Ya tu sabes..... Seems that the automatic is p in the a, one time the wrong oil and esta jodido.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
My dealer experience through Supercarros was excellent.....
I sent a Funds transfer wire to them in error after the purchase and they quickly found it and returned it.

The only car I bought had 6 months warranty left on it.... 9800 miles and a full service history from Sto Domingo Motors.

I wouldn't diss every dealer so quickly.

My friends bought there (new car) after me & were very satisfied.

NdeC Motors, as I recall.

As to importing -
for the incoming resident discount you need 1 yr of ownership and are restricted from selling for 3 yrs.

Not that arduous , really.

Good luck with the purchase.

If importing, use Caucedo.

Well of course if you are buying a new car you should have little problems with a dealer. I am talking about older used vehicles that may have hidden problems that a used car dealer will not make clear to a potential buyer, expecially if you are a gringo. Just sayin'... buyer beware.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well of course if you are buying a new car you should have little problems with a dealer. I am talking about older used vehicles that may have hidden problems that a used car dealer will not make clear to a potential buyer, expecially if you are a gringo. Just sayin'... buyer
beware.

That statement is true anywhere in the world.
You need to be a savvy buyer no matter where you are.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Can someone please explain the required steps to buy a vehicle from a private person? What is required to transfer the matricula to your name etc

Gringopean

May 24, 2017
Hi,

I am the process of purchasing a car here in Puerto Plata and just found out about Mr. 'The Gorgon' services. I tried one of the phone number found on in this forum but no answer. Does anyone have his current contact info (my account doesn't allow viewing members)? Or maybe if you are reading this, please send me a PM.

Thanks in advance

ssarkas

Oct 9, 2007
bought a pick-up from espillat motors in moca and had good luck. truck had a problem week after I got it. they paid for tow and gave me a loaner to use.fixed it. no problem