Buying a home in the D.R tired of the u.s

jai1

Mar 27, 2013
I am an aa male from the us and i lived in bermuda for a few years and fell in love with the island lifestyle. But anyways recently i have been bored in the u.s and decided i want to expand my horizons for a few years. I have been to 32 states and 13 countries so i like to think of myself as well traveled. I have never messed around with any factions of the sex trade nor do i really intend to. I have lurked thru many sites and i liked this one the most a niche mixture of locals and gringos alike. i purchased some software to learn spanish for a few months before venturing to the D.R to see if i would prefer living there compared to colombia, brazil, or coasta rica. In the states i am at a place financially where i can retire so i figure in the D.R I could have a little more fun and expand myself in the mean while. So if any of you have any tips or what not send them this way.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
I like it here but my tip is rent before you buy or just rent. Live here for a few years first. Buying is much easier than selling. Don't get yourself stuck with something you can't get rid of.

jai1

Mar 27, 2013
i understand where you are comming from but i am not to worried about being stuck with property if anything my son's will have a place to vacation one day.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i always speak in favour of buying. but with caution. rent to see where exactly you want to be. what area of the island? what city? apartment or a house?
only then, when you know what you want you can start looking. hook up with your lawyer, they often know about people leaving in a hurry and willing to sell low or people who inherited something they don't really want or need. look for a good opportunity and you should not be disappointed.

jai1

Mar 27, 2013
i have been dealing with a friend in florida that deals in real estate there and i am focusing on buying a condo in santo domingo near the university since i will take a few classes there. are there any special areas more english friendly or anything like that i should check out while there?

jai1

Mar 27, 2013
a little bit more about me so you can understand me. i am a us army veteran 1999-2005. i have 2 son's here in the states that i visit regularly. divorced after 10 years i have no issues with finding and dating women. i made enough money to retire investing in the legal marijuana trade in colorado with a lifelong friend that played for the broncos. and right now i really dont like the way the u.s is changing. i am looking for the simple island life with an occasional relationship, take a few culture and spanish classes enjoy life and so on

May 29, 2006
I think the most under-rated part of the DR is the mountains. The beaches are nice for a few months, but the tourist scene gets very boring after a while. Some really beautiful places are up in the hills, never hotter than 80 and rarely colder than 60. If you are exp with Colorado, then the hills will be quite lush in comparison. If you have some real money, check out Jarabacoa.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I am an aa male from the us and i lived in bermuda for a few years and fell in love with the island lifestyle. But anyways recently i have been bored in the u.s and decided i want to expand my horizons for a few years. I have been to 32 states and 13 countries so i like to think of myself as well traveled. I have never messed around with any factions of the sex trade nor do i really intend to. I have lurked thru many sites and i liked this one the most a niche mixture of locals and gringos alike. i purchased some software to learn spanish for a few months before venturing to the D.R to see if i would prefer living there compared to colombia, brazil, or coasta rica. In the states i am at a place financially where i can retire so i figure in the D.R I could have a little more fun and expand myself in the mean while. So if any of you have any tips or what not send them this way.

Brazil, Costa Rica, Colombia and now Dominican Republic??? Are you sure you don't want to mess with the "sex trade" LOL

If you go back and scan through your entire post it had nothing to do with the "sex trade" ZERO but you felt compelled to tell DR1 you have no intent to have sex for money. Why???

Paying for sex is legal in all of these places don't be ashamed if in fact this is something you enjoy doing.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Brazil, Costa Rica, Colombia and now Dominican Republic??? Are you sure you don't want to mess with the "sex trade" LOL

If you go back and scan through your entire post it had nothing to do with the "sex trade" ZERO but you felt compelled to tell DR1 you have no intent to have sex for money. Why???

Paying for sex is legal in all of these places don't be ashamed if in fact this is something you enjoy doing.

I hardly doubt he never participated in those kinds of activities. hahahahahaha

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
..... i made enough money to retire investing in the legal ----- trade in colorado with a lifelong friend that played for the broncos. .......

... legal in all of these places don't be ashamed if in fact this is something you enjoy doing.

I don't think he will have any problems participating in something that is "legal". :laugh::laugh::laugh:

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
jai1 if you moved to any of these places and for the 1st couple of months you are going to be a bit lonely because you stated you are in the process of learning Spanish and this will limit the pool of people you can converse with.

Dominican, Colombian, Brazilian, and Tica "working girls" are very good at making an AA male feel right at home. You are single with money lets forget the fact that you are AA, single, gringo with money a "working girl" dream.

It will be very hard to not go down this route if you do not have a network of friends to keep your mind of that fine ass 22 yr old Dominican girl you met last week, that wanted to keep you company for the night.

You named so very beautiful women on the planet Ticas, Dominicans, Colombians and Brazilian these women can be very addictive if you do not keep them in prospective. If you have never slept with any of these women do not start because once you get in its very difficult to get out.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I give the same advise to anyone coming to the DR to possiblly relocate. Line up a rental come down for a minimum of 3 months and see if you like it. If you have the monetary means, which it sounds like you do, then you can have a very very nice life in the DR. Security is the number one issue when buying property here. If you buy a free standing house you inherit a number of problems that you will have to deal with. If you are going to live there all year round this will be a plus but if not you are better off buying a townhouse or condo. Good luck.

LTSteve

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
The DR is a very large diverse island with many locations and lifestyles to choose from. The key is to travel around and find your spot. You mentioned your desire to kick back and tune in to a more laid back lifestyle. If that is your reference, Santo Domingo is the absolute last place you should consider. K

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I think the most under-rated part of the DR is the mountains. The beaches are nice for a few months, but the tourist scene gets very boring after a while. Some really beautiful places are up in the hills, never hotter than 80 and rarely colder than 60. If you are exp with Colorado, then the hills will be quite lush in comparison. If you have some real money, check out Jarabacoa.

Colorado Tax Dollars Go Up In Smoke With Weed Oversight Waste | RedState

... If you have never slept with any of these women do not start because once you get in its very difficult to get out.

They're not hard to get they're hard to get rid of.

Jai1, I agree with rent before you buy. I rented for two years and then found a place to buy in a great neighborhood that fit my needs exactly.