Buying a house in Sosua-?

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
A dear friend of mine who lives full-time in Florida (retired person) is considering a purchase of a second dwelling in this country too. And naturally I am trying to sell him on settling down close to me. He is a solid middle class, so not in position to spend alot you know. But his expectations are reasonable as well.

So, what price is realistically to expect in the current market condition for a small house (they are three in the family) with a minimum 700-800 s.m. lot, in a well protected/guarded/safe community, within a ten minute driving to the beach?

A privacy of the property is strongly desired for some intimate sun bathing or else... A pool is not necessary (even not desired at all), but there must be potential to build one later on (20mx6 m, rectangular, above the ground).

It is not a solicitation. Just a request to share insight, price ideas and prospects. They kinda like Sosua 50-50 (thanks to my promotion), and their eventual decision will be mightly influenced by the factor of affordability.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
There are many great deals in Sosua at the moment and the common charges vary widely. A real estate agent would be the best person to talk with.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
About $500 - $800 U.S

looks like Sosua is not for him. With the current market at least. Maybe for short rents only.

It is sad. ` cause intelligent, educated and family oriented persons like this one def are a big asset for an expat community.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If health concerns are not a #1 priority, go further afield...like Gaspar Hernandez? or the other way? Maimon, Luperon...I have seen some drop dead beautiful properties over that way.
Or up in Guananico, cool, mountains, and not really that far from city life.

A lot depends on what they need. I always thing Santiago, Moca, La Vega and environs since you have just about everything at 30 minutes...

Regards, and good luck..

HB

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Security?

You will pay a high monthly price for the "appearance" of security and it will keep going up. The security and maintenance fees are a gold mine for the developer.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
If health concerns are not a #1 priority, go further afield...like Gaspar Hernandez? or the other way? Maimon, Luperon...I have seen some drop dead beautiful properties over that way.
Or up in Guananico, cool, mountains, and not really that far from city life.

A lot depends on what they need. I always thing Santiago, Moca, La Vega and environs since you have just about everything at 30 minutes...

Regards, and good luck..

HB

I Live in Gaspar Hernandez and 180K here will buy you a Mansion ! And then some !
I have been here for 5 years and lovin' it ! (Canadian Expat)
We are in the throws of a new university under construction.
Pros,
GREAT people,
Low crime rate
Low Cost of labour and Day to day goods are about 10-15% less than the tourist centers.

Cons

Not right on the beach but about 15 minutes from Cabarete by car.
25 Minutes to Playa Grande.
And lots of secret hideaways to discover in between.
Basic grocery stores.
Dominican Manana mentality ! (But you DO Adjust)
Not a great hospital here but ther is a big one and renovations HAVE been done. And supposedly more to come but My Doc makes house calls anyway !

Personally I wouldn't live in Sosua or Cabarete. And have NEVER been a city person. I enjoy the real Dominican people in this town. The Ladrones and prostitutes tend not to be here, as very few gringos ! It is safe.

This is the real Dominican Experience. But its not for everyone

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
A dear friend of mine who lives full-time in Florida (retired person) is considering a purchase of a second dwelling in this country too. And naturally I am trying to sell him on settling down close to me. He is a solid middle class, so not in position to spend alot you know. But his expectations are reasonable as well.

So, what price is realistically to expect in the current market condition for a small house (they are three in the family) with a minimum 700-800 s.m. lot, in a well protected/guarded/safe community, within a ten minute driving to the beach?

A privacy of the property is strongly desired for some intimate sun bathing or else... A pool is not necessary (even not desired at all), but there must be potential to build one later on (20mx6 m, rectangular, above the ground).

It is not a solicitation. Just a request to share insight, price ideas and prospects. They kinda like Sosua 50-50 (thanks to my promotion), and their eventual decision will be mightly influenced by the factor of affordability.

A friend of mine is selling his house, they have just put it on the market.

He is a neigbour and lives on the outskirts of Sosua in a safe area. His house was constructed by a German builder, as was mine, they are huge houses and have pools and beautiful gardens.

He is only asking around $170,000 and the value of these houses is about $300,000. Due to family circumstances they need a quick sale.

I can give you his details if your friends are interested. You can pm me. I do not pay rates.

ray718

May 28, 2010
hb and jojo2130 bring out very good points about the bargains and quality of life found outside tourist neighborhoods.your friends have to decide if being close to the beach is that important. a little drive to the beach is not that bad, in comparison to the $ u save. the extra cash and go towards other things, which can make their stay pleasurable- imo

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I would not get discouraged very fast. Take time to look around and get educated. And then when you find a good bargain, be prepared to move fast to tie it up. There are other coniderations ofcouse...that is if the proeprty has a dislinde or can get one, working with a good attorney and having the house inspected... Also, prices vary considerably around here and the market is not very efficient. Also, properties often sit on the market for a relatively long time, so don't be shy about negotiating...you never know...

T

Tom S.

first rent, than buy?

I'm renting a house, which is located in a nice calm quarter 1 mile from the Sosua beach. Details here: www.DomRepDream.com

One shall first rent it and in case everything is as expected, we can negotiate the sell.

It fits requirements, just the guard is kept by the constant presence of the German owner of the lot in a neighbour house - for free and considerably more efficient than underpaid guards. 3rd and last house on the parcel is owned by an italian artist. She's living there alone with her 10 years old son. Plus, there is also a pool.

Upon request, there might be a guard installed in a service room for the nights for additional 150 USD per month. The guard I will personally guarantee.