buying a property in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
However, I do not know what the implications are if you are caught with that amount of cash on you. Perhaps a slap on the wrist and paying the penalties on the spot?

In the old days perhaps, but no longer. As Tambo said, now it gets confiscated. And there's another implication: you become a 'marked' person, suspected of laundering or narcotrafficking. OK so you pay the penalty for breaking the law and bringing in more in cash than you should because you were caught by honest law enforcement officials. Then what? Maybe when they're feeling the pinch financially they remember you and go looking and fabricate something you have done in order to get you to pay. Guys who can officially process an importer of excess sums of money in their day job can moonlight in a less professional fashion. And for a gringo, not knowing the ropes means they open themselves up to potentially never ending hassle.

A lot of long term expats brought in excess sums in the past, like your family has done, but in the last 7 years things have changed. I seriously doubt whether any thinking expat would do it again now.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This is also correct. Some lawyers use US-escrow accounts, where you can send the funds.
At closing they deliver a check to the seller.
True. My lawyers has $$$ wired to his Miami account. Then the vendor was paid from their Dominican account.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I have just the property for you ....lol...I know you really want to live iin sosh?a, I will bring details and bore you at the party

Sep 22, 2009
I have just the property for you ....lol...I know you really want to live iin sosh?a, I will bring details and bore you at the party

Lol

This poor OP -- I feel bad. He has money to buy property, but doesn't know how to move it. Hmmm... Maybe he should rent. This is not shaping up to be good due diligence, btw.

JR, can you send me the party logistics...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Lol

This poor OP -- I feel bad. He has money to buy property, but doesn't know how to move it. Hmmm... Maybe he should rent. This is not shaping up to be good due diligence, btw.

JR, can you send me the party logistics...

Quite the sarcastic little bastard, aren't you? I know how to move money, but it never hurts to ask what to expect in questions, costs and paperwork, and what the cheapest and most reliable way is...

For all the others who replied, thanks a lot for the advice...

Sep 22, 2009
Quite the sarcastic little bastard, aren't you? I know how to move money, but it never hurts to ask what to expect in questions, costs and paperwork, and what the cheapest and most reliable way is...

For all the others who replied, thanks a lot for the advice...

ouch, appears I crossed that line again.

(where is Pedrochem: why do people always think I'm little Pedro?)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Lol

Want to add my 2 cents here. It seems that you get annoyed at people that are asking questions about doing anything in the DR, so I ask you and think it over for a few days, what is it that you are doing here on DR1?

Status
Not open for further replies.