Buying a small boat in DR

faer

Jan 6, 2005
mike, not sure about your statement on de 4stroke outboards.
this new generation engines derive from the 4 strokes developed for motorcycle racing. in my personal experience this engines are very sturdy and lonlasting, but require a lot more maintenance than 2 strokes. basically they need more frequent engine oil changes and valve check/regulation. Also, as they have more mobile parts than a 2 stroke, they propability of a failure is inherently higher. on the fuel consumption side, they do get better mileage but nothing great.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
2 strokes are dirty, smelly and noisy - perfect for the D.R. ;)

They develop more torque, though?

Buy a good 4 stroke - a much better experience all round - a much more chilled out vibe.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the Fact of much less and by far less complicating working Parts.Pieces in a 2-stroke engine make 'em great for a private Boat owner who repairs his engine Himself.
I could still completely Disarm a 60HP yamaha 2 stroke outboard with very few tools(the extractor is the only special tool needed), clean everything up, pass some sandpaper on Hurt Cylinders, put the pieces together and it will run again.
yes, some pos's on the 2 strokes.
but Today's I would prefer the 4 S's.
I am actually planning on a 28-30ft'er for next Year, flexibel equipped for Flyfishing, Trolling and Shark watches, small Cabin with Bathroom and basic Kittchen utensiles like Microwave, Meetfreezer, Beerfridge(of course, lol), and I plan on 2x 250HP 4 Stroke Outboards as the minimum Power.
High Powered 2 Strokes would make the far Rides to the Outer Banks too cost intensive.
but I am always open to any advice/shared Experience etc,
that Boat is not decided in all details, yet.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Do it the Dominican way, and put 3 235's on the back, and get rid of that puddle jumper engine.

naaah,
overhorsepowering is not a typical Dominican thingy,
exactly the opposite, most local owned Boats down here are way Underpowered, while many Boats of friends I used in the US been IMHO heaviliest powered, ha ha.
of course it also depends on the planned use for a vehicle.
for Daily Work, a commercial Use, the first point is reliable engines which work as long and economical as possible, power and speed is not a mainfactor here.
for private Use as a pleasure Boat some Extra Horses are exactly what makes the Fun on the sunday afternoon Ride with friends or alone.

but some Minimum Horses are also a Matter of Security, private or commercial.
a 30HP engine for a even small boat but loaded with for example 4 Adults and a filled Beercooler plus some snorkel equipment for the Fun Ride is very small, it would not hold many working hours because it would always work on it's own limits.
and IMHO it should by Law not been allowed to operate a Boat outside of the Reefs with just one engine on, a 15HP ""backup" on anyything heavier than a few hundred Kilos does in my opinion not count as any save solution.
Mike

joannadee

Oct 2, 2007
hello .ty for the message. If the boat would have an 50 hp or more (yamaha) then i would be interested.Let me know .ty

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
from the small outboard engines the Yamaha 60HP 2 Strokes are the most common/used ones, easy to fix, no prob to find a mechanic for any needed reparation, all spare parts available around the Island.
the Yamaha 60HP Saltwater Series Engine is a reliable working Horse.
Mike

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I looked into re-engineing the boat up to at least 60hp

To put a Yamaha Enduro 60 on you are looking at $4,650 plus the remote controls which would add another $1,000 on top.

You will NOT find a Dominican registered boat with a decent engine to go beyond a reef for $6,000!

Here's a price list from the authorized Yamaha dealer in POP

a>

Good luck!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I looked into re-engineing the boat up to at least 60hp

To put a Yamaha Enduro 60 on you are looking at $4,650 plus the remote controls which would add another $1,000 on top.

You will NOT find a Dominican registered boat with a decent engine to go beyond a reef for $6,000!

Here's a price list from the authorized Yamaha dealer in POP

5014479557_bcf9e660f5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Good luck!

exactly My speech.
6K is more or less the Prize EACH Engine to equip a Twin Engine Boat for simple Offshore activities.
a realiable offshore ready Boat Dominican Flagged ranges 25-30KUS at least, no limits upwards of course.
Mike