buying an unlocked phone from ebay???

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009

Come down, buy a used cell phone from a Tricom store with just your Driving License, throw it away if you want when you leave..... Total cost: Less than $15 U.S.Don

Can you do this using the residency and cedula cards? Or, do you need a driver's license?

Can someone else confirm what DON said is possible?

Bob :glasses:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Simple options:

1) If you want a phone to use in other countries as well as here...buy a mid to high end new or newish UNLOCKED QUADBAND GSM phone on ebay or elsewhere. It will usually state at the beginning of the description GSM QUADBAND... for the record, last I checked Verizon is NOT GSM...they are still CDMA, along with Sprint. At&T and TMobile are GSM. When you get here, take the phone and your passport to a claro or Orange store or sattelite shop and buy a sim card for 300 pesos, this comes with 100 pesos of calltime.

2) if it's just to use here, buy a new "cheapie" phone here at any Claro, Orange, TriCom or Viva store. (Claro and Orange are by far the biggest with the best coverage) Right now you can buy a brand new phone with sim card and phone number directly from Claro main offices (and I assume all the sattelite stores) for 595 pesos which includes 100 pesos of calltime..and you only need a passport.

After you have purchase your sim card or new phone, buy a few 200 or 250 peso phone cards...have them show you how to enter it into your phone...then do one yourself, while you're still there. Keep an extra in your wallet...

Spec Ed Teacher

Apr 21, 2009
Can you do this using the residency and cedula cards? Or, do you need a driver's license?

Can someone else confirm what DON said is possible?

Bob :glasses:

We are in Santiago. We went into a local Claro shop and purchased a cheap cell phone with 100pesos of minutes on it for a total of 350 pesos because we were told that our phone from Canada could not be unlocked (took it in to a couple dealers here and also called Rogers directly - all said it couldn't be done).

Then looked on ebay and for approx $5USD bought an 'unlock code' for the phone and then just switched the SIM card. Then went online and bought another $5US code for our other phone (Motorola V190) and unlocked it - took it to the Claro dealer and bought the SIM card & 100 pesos of minutes again and we now have 2 working DR numbers with our original Canadian phones - for under $30. Probably going to get another SIM card soon for the 'cheapy Claro phone' as an 'extra' for the teens when they are out.

We have neither residency nor cedula yet at this time. Just a photo copy of a passport.

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
Get your phone in the D.R.

I had a Dominican help me purchase a phone in the D.R. This person who helped me spoke English well so he was able to show me and tell me how to operate the phone. I believe the phone costs about 400 pesos.

I got a CLARO phone made by ZTE Corporation which looks to be a Chinese company. They have a web site where I can order instructions in English no doubt which I may do since then I can use the phone better when I go back to the D.R.

It seemed like the minutes I got ran out pretty fast and faster than they were supposed to.

Since I have the phone with me right now and I am no longer in the D.R. what will the message say if someone calls this D.R. phone number of mine? Does anyone remember what the message says to the person who calls an inactive phone?

Thanks, Bob

E

engineerfg

While that option works for DR - great - the solution to the problem of buying one phone and taking it to anywhere in the world - can only be solved by purchasing an unlocked quad band GSM phone.

this can be done here in DR, or on eBay. I've done both in the past. Prices vary depending on the phone you purchase. And as the poster 5 above asked, you can just buy a sim card in each country you visit, pop it in, and you're rockin like mick jagger!