Buying land

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
If I buy land from a Dominican guy who is the sole owner and only his name is on the Deed, does his new wife have to sign the new Deed even if her name is not on the Deed? He was single upon his purchase but married upon selling. Any advise would be appreciated. Cheers.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
CAN YOU SPELL L A W Y E R ? YO, DUDE! Do not do anything without a lawyer by your side, and I mean YOUR lawyer, not some friend!!

Here is a little factoid: There are land titles at the Central Registry for TWICE the land area of the Dominican Republic. No sh!t.

So figure that your "Dominican" may or may not really own that land...

HB

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
CAN YOU SPELL L A W Y E R ? YO, DUDE! Do not do anything without a lawyer by your side, and I mean YOUR lawyer, not some friend!!

Here is a little factoid: There are land titles at the Central Registry for TWICE the land area of the Dominican Republic. No sh!t.

So figure that your "Dominican" may or may not really own that land...

HB

Yep. What I said. Get legal help. And HB is right on with just about twice the amount of land in the D.R. is on the books that the D.R. does not have.

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
I'm just worried my lawyer says No Problema and in the end there is. I figured if I ask here I might get someone telling me the truth.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
No one here knows what land you are buying, who you are buying from, no access to the survey or deslinde. No idea who your lawyer is. Even with all that, no one can give you any promise at all. If you already have a problem with your attorney then you already have a problem.

My advice? Hire a survey/land attorney to check all the Land Court files and if they look good have the property surveryed and checked again with a request of legal ownership and status concerningf the land court before buying. You can also look at buying land/title insurance.

It does take some time, research, work and money. Not that difficult and same in just about every Country... just a little bit more in the D.R.

So what is it that you want?

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
If you do buy, make sure the property has been measured by a reputable surveyor, under the new guidelines, i.e. satellite topograhpy.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
No one here knows what land you are buying, who you are buying from, no access to the survey or deslinde. No idea who your lawyer is. Even with all that, no one can give you any promise at all. If you already have a problem with your attorney then you already have a problem.

My advice? Hire a survey/land attorney to check all the Land Court files and if they look good have the property surveryed and checked again with a request of legal ownership and status concerningf the land court before buying. You can also look at buying land/title insurance.

It does take some time, research, work and money. Not that difficult and same in just about every Country... just a little bit more in the D.R.

So what is it that you want?

We said the same thing, Sorry about that, you beat me to it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We all agree on that Pelaut!!! D@mn straight!! This is one case where money spent on good lawyers is so much in your favor.

I think real estate purchases, especially land purchases, are the most dangerous possible investment in the DR--without due diligence, that is.

Please oh please pay attention to what was posted here, There is close to 200 years experience for free, and I am 25% of that!!

HB

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
The first thing that you have to do is go to the title register and make sure that the land does not has any oposision to be sold, You also need to make sure that he doesn't owe any back taxes because if he does the title name cannot be transfer it to your name and that would be a big problem for you until he pays does taxes. and also if the guy bought the land before he was maried then his wife does not has to sign unless it says on his Dominican voting ID (Cedula) that he is maried. If his Cedula says that he is single then his wife does not has to sign.

Jul 4, 2010
According to my experience, at least here in Azua, when there's no clear title, possession is nine-tenths of the law. But don't take my word for it, get a GOOD lawyer!

Nurys-Miami

Oct 8, 2011
As a professional real estate agent licensed in Florida and former Architect, I can tell you that you should consult an attorney in DR. This will be the best money you would have invested!
Nurys

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
it must be really cheap if you are not going through the proper channels, therefore ther is probably a risk to it