Buying telephone minutes

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
He can easily purchase the required chip for an iPhone 5 at any of the service providers Orange/Claro/Viva/Tricom. This will be a simple phone card and he will use the phones internet capabilities in wi-fi areas. You only have to show him how to join protected wi-fi providers ie password. Orange also sell data plans with out a contract but using wi-fi only is much cheaper.

The iPhone is intuitive and will be no problem. There's also a Mac store near him if he needs help after my umpteen hour tutorial.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Callingmart does not have a surcharge.

BigBird, that rate of 156 pesos you got for $5 was "sin impuestos." The full amount including impuestos is 204 pesos. Callingmart gives a 41:1 rate with no surcharge, very fair IMO.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

BigBird, that rate of 156 pesos you got for $5 was "sin impuestos." The full amount including impuestos is 204 pesos. Callingmart gives a 41:1 rate with no surcharge, very fair IMO.

Official exchange rate is 42.20 so that is why they says no surcharge, are giving you a lower exchange rate.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Official exchange rate is 42.20 so that is why they says no surcharge, are giving you a lower exchange rate.

There is no official exchange rate.

It varies from place to place, banco de cambio to banco de cambio, and it fluctuates from day to day and even during a day.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
There is no official exchange rate.

It varies from place to place, banco de cambio to banco de cambio, and it fluctuates from day to day and even during a day.

Yes, there is oficial xchange rate, I dont know if you read in news paper that Bank authorities make the Casa de Cambio at the airport to work with the oficial rates, they always had very low rates,

Banco Central de la Repblica Dominicana

http://www.bancentral.gov.do/tasas_cambio/SONDEO_VENTANILLA_DOLAR.pdf

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Thanks for the clarification shorts. In that case Callingmart is one of the better top up companies to use. I have been using etopuponline for years but they have this silly rule of only three transactions per week.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012

So you expect Callingmart to update their rate daily to ensure they're aligned with the constantly fluctuating exchange rate? Compound that with the 50-100 countries they sell phone minutes for, and tell me how that's possible. Callingmart is in the cellphone business, not FX business. They buy the minutes from Claro/Orange at a wholesale rate just like your local colmado, and thats where they make their money.