Cabarete Scotiabank Service $ucks

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
So my dad and I go into Scotiabank to get a cash advance on his MC. This card is set up so it won't work in an ATM and only work inside a bank or to make purchases.

The cashier says it will work in the ATM, even after numerous attempts to explain to him it won't. So I tell him come and see for himself that it won't work. After using both machines, a lady comes over and says she will help to get a cash advance and takes the card and calls a number. After her call she says the card is blocked.
I tell her that its not and I could go to Janets and buy stuff there, or go to the gas station and purchase gas, beause the cardnet machine and ATM are different. But the typical Dumbinican mentality takes over and she says that the card won't work anywhere......LOL.

Long story short, we walked into Popular 10 minutes after and got a cash advance in less than 3 minutes. No hastle, no stupid questions, just show passport, credit card, and boom you have cash.....

Anyway, if you want anything that represents customer service in a bank in this town, DONT go to Scotiabank, go to Popular, or any other bank in Cabarete

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
No surprise there, Scotia is the worst bank in Canada by a mile, makes sense that they keep it up in DR as well.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Dominican customer service provides jobs for the nicely dressed brain dead. It's not just Scotiabank.

A huge advantage of Scotiabank is the Global ATM Alliance. [link]

I keep money in the Bank of America in the USA. I use my BofA ATM card here in the DR at Scotiabank ATM machines with no fees.

I do get whacked with fees if I use my ATM card at the counter in a Scotiabank here.

charlie&ziggy

Mar 1, 2009
No surprise there, Scotia is the worst bank in Canada by a mile, makes sense that they keep it up in DR as well.

"Hahaha" I have to disagree.... They do have their issues, I run a business account with them and that's my trouble spot, my personal accounts there are great. Royal bank then ATB (Alberta Treasury Bank) are by far the worse.
So far I have good luck with Scotia in Dr. At Pop an SD.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"Hahaha" I have to disagree.... They do have their issues, I run a business account with them and that's my trouble spot, my personal accounts there are great. Royal bank then ATB (Alberta Treasury Bank) are by far the worse.
So far I have good luck with Scotia in Dr. At Pop an SD.

Every seems to have different experiences. I have had bank accounts in every bank in Canada over the past 40 years and my best experience has been with the RBC and TD, and worst with Canadian Bank of Commerce. My wife has had accounts in almost all Dominican Banks and we both have accounts with BHD and one in La Vega Real Credit Union. We have had some issues but the customer Service has been great. Our Rep- Rhina Chen ( La China) is very helpful.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You could have avoided the whole hassle if your father's bank card was a debit/credit card and could have worked with a pin# at most any ATM. Have him get one for the next time he comes to the DR. Much easier than having to deal with "customer service people" inside the bank.

LTSteve