Cabarete Visitors Beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
AK, the only place with no direct flights is the good ol US due to the president at the time in the early 60's putting the crazy embargo/trade act in effect. Direct flights from Montego Bay, Cancun, and used to be able to travel from Canada, unless something has recently changed??
Great country, supposedly Obama is lifting the travel restriction part for US citizens, but not the more important trade issue which has cost the country millions every year....

That is what AK said if you want to travel USA - Cuba you have to do it VIA Canada, ...... Nothing has changed there are still direct flights Montreal - Cuba

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Pedro....The bucket of water is just used here as in "if you had a choice" would you not take the better water.....forget the prices, assuming it's all free! Just a figure of speech. Good post. More tolerable? hummm, I think either Dominica, Vieques, or Grenada. Take a look at their posts on LP, you won't see anything near what we're talking about here.
CFA....I think most of what you say makes sence, although I have to disagree on the tourist as probable targets. Come on, the tourist is the stupid one with no suntan and all the money in his pocket, rolex on, and the new camera around his neck. Ha..I surely would start there opposed to another local Dominican that knows you and lives near by if I were to rob or assult someone. Expats as well are targets as I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm sure you all know the story, no need to bring up a bad thing. NO ONE is exempt from crime that is on the island, everyone is a potential target.
Oh, I also forgot to mention, in all my years of travel, close to 35 I'd say, and around 22 islands, I have never had a problem ANYWHERE, DR included.
Been to Panama, Honduras, Costa Rica, MX, Chile, Peru...you get the picture. All of those mentioned are on the most dangerous list....which we also know is a little overdone as far as the US State Dept advisories. I guess part of the reason I don't like what I see is I at one time planned to retire, per say to my little casa. Hummmmmm
Mariposa.....OK thanks for the correction, I just reread it. Thought he was saying you couldn't fly from Canada, didn't understand his reasoning....gotcha
Lambada....the links you posted are all junk, Forbes? come on.....go look at some government websites and you will see the real story. And you're right, DR is NOT on the list, never was, nor was it implied here by anyone. Maybe you are confuseing it with Haiti, your neighbor who IS on the list. Peace.
Keith, great post and so true. Stupid tourists AGAIN! I realize that some ask for exactly what they get, and some have no clue to the dangers involved here. I was at a bar one night run by a German girl, and had her brothel full of nice chicas. A tour type van pulled in with about 5 guys from Bulgaria or Romania. They spent the better part of the night there behind closed doors, and my bet is none of them had any $$ when the left!
Makes me laugh....dummies.
Peace to all....

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
This is actually for all visitors. We have had the last two renters in our condo (one last week and one last night) run into the "chica pickpocket patrol" on Cabarete beach. Both were accosted by the women and lo and behold minutes later noticed their back pockets were empty.
The guests from last week actually filled out a police report and the cop interviewing them actually discribed the women to our renters. They knew them, but nothing was obviously done about it.

So a word of caution:
Do not carry your wallet if you can avoid it (if not carry it in your front pocket)
Carry only the cash you will need for that night
Do not carry credit cards, drivers lic, passport, social securtiy cards etc. You really dont need them (carry a copy of your passport or lic if you want).
Beware of the roaming hands of the chicas especially if you are still dressed.

Bob K

You can be robbed anyplace in the world. I have been warned of pickpockets on the north coast for years. I make it a point to tell anyone I know whos going on their first few trips to be careful of it and be prepared.

Still some people don't pay attention and get robbed.

Being drunk and letting some strange woman in the street touch you is the typical scenario. Some of the more braver cases involve the female grabbing a drunk males privates HARD while going through their pockets.

The best advise on avoiding these problems is not having anything of value on you if it all possible. If you do have anything (your phone or some money) be aware of those around you, keep it as well concealed and protected as possible, and don't let people touch you.

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Very true, buttt

Greay post....ahhh, but come on, were on vacation! You mean we can't get drunk, go out at night alone or walk the beach? not to mention what to do with all those valuables, passport, credit card. cash $$, your phone, camera. jewelery, etc. Most cheaper and middle road hotels have no safes(which I would question anyway in some places) like the A/I's do... Humm, the safest places have the best security? seems it should be the other way around. So the lobby doesn't want responsibility of holding it, you dare not hide the stuff in your room, not knowing the maids, can't carry it on you or leave it on the beach when swimming, unless you leave it with the other party with you hopeing they won't get mugged (as mentioned exactly what happened in another thread) sooooo, what to do? I guess you could hire a bodyguard for the trip....but a little pricey, and who knows, not knowing him, maybe he will f you over instead.
Not my idea of a fun filled vacation.
The old "anywhere you go in the citys world wide has the same problems" has run out of stream, and is not necessarily true.
Peace.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
CJ, if you go back & look at my posts... you'll find I've been pretty aggressive in reporting on any crime issues around the Cabarete area.

With that said, I think you're off base regarding major security concerns for travellers if you're referring to those who visit the town of Cabarete (and that is the heading for this thread).

If you are right... you're doing a lot of potential visitors a favor by posting what you have to say. But, if you're wrong (which I think you are) you're doing no one any favors.

I live in Cabarete full time, by the way. How much time have you spent here recently?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
ok everyone stay at home its not safe anywhere- is everyone happy now...........drat I just remembered most accidents happen in the home

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
im suprised the returning flights have any people in them at all since everyone is chopped up into pieces and fed to the sharks

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
CJ, if you go back & look at my posts... you'll find I've been pretty aggressive in reporting on any crime issues around the Cabarete area.

With that said, I think you're off base regarding major security concerns for travellers if you're referring to those who visit the town of Cabarete (and that is the heading for this thread).

If you are right... you're doing a lot of potential visitors a favor by posting what you have to say. But, if you're wrong (which I think you are) you're doing no one any favors.

I live in Cabarete full time, by the way. How much time have you spent here recently?

Yes you have reported crime issues around Cabarete, CFA123, & we can both remember a time when it was far worse than now. Same with Puerto Plata, go back a couple of years & it was far worse than now. I think that's it, isn't it? Trends change here quite quickly & for all sorts of reasons. You have to be here as a fulltime permanent resident to know that.

BobK started this thread as a sensible & timely reminder, not a scare tactic. He's a permanent resident, too. Funny how some people want to pursue the scare tactics.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Yes you have reported crime issues around Cabarete, CFA123, & we can both remember a time when it was far worse than now. Same with Puerto Plata, go back a couple of years & it was far worse than now. I think that's it, isn't it? Trends change here quite quickly & for all sorts of reasons. You have to be here as a fulltime permanent resident to know that.

BobK started this thread as a sensible & timely reminder, not a scare tactic. He's a permanent resident, too. Funny how some people want to pursue the scare tactics.

Too true! How did a courteous "heads up" get misconstrued and turn into a debate about the safety of various destinations?

This event and its resultant warnings could've occured anywhere.

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
Spot on

Too true! How did a courteous "heads up" get misconstrued and turn into a debate about the safety of various destinations? This event and its resultant warnings could've occured anywhere.
It is strange how threads get side tracked. Bob's post is very good and considerate. The message is so clear that even a child could understand it. Then you have some people who may be on something and they come up with absurdities like this.
There is no direct flights yet!!!!!!!! Via Canada or Mexico or Bahamas - it takes in total up to twelve hours travel easy! Longer than to Rio or to Margarita.
Not only is he completely sidetracked but he posts wrong information saying there are no direct flights to Cuba. It is irrelevant and incorrect and unwanted.

M

MirianAmor

It is strange how threads get side tracked. Bob's post is very good and considerate. The message is so clear that even a child could understand it. Then you have some people who may be on something and they come up with absurdities like this.
Not only is he completely sidetracked but he posts wrong information saying there are no direct flights to Cuba. It is irrelevant and incorrect and unwanted.

I agree. This thread changed so quickly into a Cuba / Mexico destination option. Where are the Moderators when you need them? 50+ posts on this subject but very few if any relating to Bob's original warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.