Cable theft continues.....

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Whirleybird., this is NOTHING new.....This "trick" have been done forever!!.

I am almost sure those guys where indeed Edenorte workers, with "free" time AFTER finishing a real job....You didn't expect someone at Edenorte to say they were, did you?...."Covering their axxes" comes to mind.

I lost count of the times a person has asked one of those workers (electricity, cable.....etc.ect): "hey listen, when you are finished with my neighbor, can you fix mine, there's a propita for you"....Only to have the guy say "ok, I'll be back after work".

Pretty simple: WHOMEVER shows up at your house to fix ANYTHING, call the company they say they belong to, to verify.....ANNNND ask them to show you some type of identification.

Definitely see your point... a bit like the guy in UK who used to have some tarmac over after fixing the road and did a cheap job late afternoon on your driveway!!! Despite the identification, the answer has to be verify, verify, verify and with the telephone number YOU have and not the one they give you or dial for you, eh?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Maybe also use the 'law of inversely proportional credulity'? :laugh::laugh: I mean, knowing how long you have to wait for a meter here when you're expecting one should alert all of us to ask questions when we're not........
But as Rocky says, it's easily done, being convinced situations like this are for real. We let a guy in from the DGII once. He was real enough. But after he started telling us that our land was due for 're-evaluation' we asked him to leave & when he looked reluctant we insisted. I sensed a 'pull a little bonus routine on the only gringos living there'. What struck me as strange was why he wasn't also calling on our neighbours opposite, since 're-evaluations' are of whole areas, not one house. We wouldn't sign or accept the paper he brought, which really ticked him off. The guy was perfectly legit. I just didn't know whether his actions were, so if in doubt............don't.

The upshot was, he never came back. There was no 're-evaluation' but he is still in charge of that section of the DGII & gives me a funny look whenever I go in there..............;)