Cameras and photography help please.

terrierist

Mar 20, 2009
If you want to really learn about the different cameras, and photographic techniques, then look at Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ and fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras, Forum, Photoshop Plugins, Actions, Reviews, Hosting and Digital Darkroom respectively. They are the defacto experts on the web for photography equipment (dpreview) and technique (fredmiranda).

I have a Canon 50d, purchased from B&H. I agree with the previous posts...B&H are top notch.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
B&H are a top-notch outfit. I get most of my camera stuff from them. Their return/exchange policy is also extremely hassle-free.

Laurajane, the type of camera you would need is one that can take good action shots and one that can shoot well in low-light conditions.

Get yourself a separate flash, the best one recommended for the particular camera you are thinking of purchasing and you will be all set.

Even though traditional point and shoot cameras have evolved tremendously over the years(Panasonic Lumix with a Leica lens is an example), nothing beats a digital SLR. The ability to change lenses to suit your shooting requirements makes all the difference in the world.

As for having it shipped to the DR, this may be a problem. This is where it will get expensive not only in shipping costs but whatever taxes you may have to pay in the DR.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
laurajane,

So did you reach a decision? High end point and shoot or a DSLR?

From your two posts I am guessing DSLR.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Just to add my 2 pesos worth; you don't have to live in the Big Apple (or even know someone who does) to buy from B&H Photo, Cameta Camera (Long Island) or any number of other fine "bricks and morter" camera stores. Most of them now do more business on line than they do in the store.

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders

A good place to comparison shop is Amazon, which not only sells some cameras themselves, but markets them for these vendors.

I can confirm what has been said about the Panasonic cameras with Lieca lenses being great bang for the buck. I own one which has served me well, and have just dipped my foot in the waters of SLR photography by purchasing an Olympus e520 as an entry level DSLR. So far, I could not be more pleased. Got a package deal from Cameta Camera through Amazon. $600 for the camera, 14-42mm and 40-150mm Zuico zoom lenses, 8gb compact flash card and card reader, SLR bag and spare battery.

As far as getting it to the DR, the best way is if you have someone you trust who is coming down, have it delivered to them. As long as it is not packed up in the original box, they will have no issues with Aduanas.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Very luckily i have a friend that lives in NYC and maybe making a trip over very soon.

I would be stupid to ignore everyones suggestions of getting it from BH, I think i will speak to them via telephone and maybe my friend will be good enough to investigate it a bit for me also as to what they might recommend.

I will also go for a DSLR model with changable lenses and a seperate flash. Just have to spend a little more time deciding exactly which one.

When i have made a decision i will let you know.

I really appreciate all the help, Thank you all for you advice.

You guys rock!!