Can they do that ?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
No, its not done in the US.

Not done in the US?

"Firefighters and lifeguards yesterday kept surfers and swimmers from entering O'ahu's North Shore waters as big surf roared."
Hawaii's North Shore hit by monster swells - The Honolulu Advertiser

New York surfers appeal fine
IN BRIEF; Surfers, Appealing Fines, Argue Right to Ride Big Waves - New York Times

North Carolina "Not only is the ocean too dangerous for swimming or wading, it is also against the law to swim during a red-flag warning. You will be fined for going into the water."
Beach Information and Safety | Insiders' Guide? North Carolina's Outer Banks, 26th Edition

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007
Yes sir, it is done in US

No, its not done in the US. You enter the water at your own risk in dangerous conditions with the knowledge that others will not be there to save you. How you gonna stop a surfer, shoot him off his board? Once they are in the water they are on their own. To get back on shore they can simply paddle away from the cops. Those guys in those uniforms carrying guns are not going to walk far in the sand on a hot day. More Dominican craziness

Not sure where you are getting your information form. Yes it IS done in the US including HI. I have seen it first hand in several states (CA, FL, NC, NJ and HI). But, yes you can sneak around a bit (and I bet some of the boys on the North Side DR did just that, seeking out a protected cove, Encuentro certainly would not be the place to go in that size). In states where the water patrol isn't on duty yearround, the you are correct, enter at your own risk. There is no one going to stop me going into the ocean in the winter. Which is kind of ironic since we get strong winter storms and the water conditions, given the water temp (40F or lower) and thick wetsuits, is considerably more danagerous than the occasion Tropical Storm skirting by.

So is it me they are concerned for or themselves if they have to go in. Not that I blame them for protecting themselves but YES IT IS DONE IN US and YES THEY DO WALK TO ARREST, seen it.

and the expression I hear "Only in the DR" is very narrow in focus, there is CRAZINESS ALL OVER THE WORLD if you travel. And some of the CRAZIEST is in USA.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
It IS done in the US too. As a former beach lifeguard I can say that we even had the authority to detain until the cops arrived.

MY question is that WHY do they choose THIS TO START PREVENTION? I mean seriously...how about helmets or enforcing traffic laws or drunk driving laws? Certainly the bang for the buck would be bigger.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Confiscated equipment??

I was kiting today at kite beach and it was a beautiful day,,, Yesterday it was rougher, today basically a normal day with better winds.

When I came back to town I heard an english guy saying that the monkeys, sry police force, confiscated some kite equipment?? True?

Other vise it feels safe to have 100 Amet standing at the main road in Cabarete, watching people going by in their cars with rum and beer bottles in their hands...doing nada. U got to love DR :)