Canada Sponsorship - Unmarried, Baby on the way

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Alright - I've looked at the different sponsorship classes etc. But was wondering if anyone has any relevant experiance, or advice they can give on my particular situation.

I have been with my gf for over 2 years. Of those 2 years we lived continuously for over a year. This should qualify me for common law status, however I am lacking in the "proof" area as the lease, electrical bills were not in both of our names, and were in her's only as she set up the apartment before I arrive. In fact the whole proof thing is a bit of a problem, in that we don't have very many photos (my digital camera's mem card stopped working), not many emails, what i do have is a few hundred used phone cards - and a number of western union receipts (most as of late - for a good while she was the one supporting me in the DR;) should this be ok? Should we just get married first?

Other question is that I have a baby on the way, due in August, can i start the process before hand, or do I have to wait until the baby arrives?

The next thing I would like to know is with regards to income, As I was living in the DR, I was not making substantial income, and the income I did receive was off the books - I am now back in Canada and working for the govt. and have been for a month or so, and have a consistant work record while living in Canada - should this be proof enough that I can support her? regardless of the lack of income in the last year? Will the previous few months + previous years be enough proof??

This might be a little out of the regular scope, but the other thing I would like to know is if anyone has succesfully taken parental leave with a foreign birth certificate(provided my name is stated as the father). Within a couple of months I should qualify for parental leave in Ontario, which should allow me some time off, at partial pay, to spend time with my "wife" and child until the sponsorship comes through. Has anyone been able to do this(men)? Does anyone know if I would be granted any type of job retention during this time?

One more thing is regarding DNA testing, have many people been required to do this? Does it hold up the application much? Does the fact that the baby is proven to be yours help with the process? How much does it cost?

One last thing, If I worked for CIC for a while, and know a few people there, will this help my cause, would working at CIC when I make the the sponsorship help? (I am currently in competition for a position)

That's about it, any and all observations help. Thanks in advance.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
One last thing, is there anything prevent me as acting as the "interpretor" for her portion of the questions?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Wow, lots of questions that we haven't run into. Wouldn't your friends at CIC be your best course for info?

As for proof of living together for a year, did you take a leave of absence from your job? Stamped passport out and returning home? Apparently phone cards mean nothing. Did you ever call home while you were gone? Any correspondence with family in that year? Anything to show that you were out of the country?

You should know from working with the government that you'll need piles of paper work, the more the better. ;)

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I'll try to answer a few of the questions that I can...

1) I would really hope that you would NOT get special treatment from CIC seeing as that would probably be against the law. Also unfair if the rest of have to wait in sequence, why would you think you could get special treatment because you have a baby. As a Canadian who just went through the process of sponsoring my husband while pregnant and being forced by the Canadian govt to have my baby alone because TR visas are impossible to get and PR visa application was in process....I can say that the govt does not care that your wife is pregnant and it will not speed up your file.

2) Unless you have already done the medical you wont be able to apply until after your child is born because of the xrays.

3) If you dont have sufficient proof to apply as common law you should get married. talk to EMJ on this board as she is in the middle of her process and having a bit of hard time with Haiti requesting ALOT of information and she has her bills in both names, rent receipts, never left the country during the required time etc.

4) You can be the interpretor. When we applied my husband answered the questions in his best english...I edited for grammar and spelling and included a note that we had done them together. I also kept email proof of his answering the questions himself incase it ever came up. Also make sure you sign the Use of Representative form that gives you permission to make inquiries on her behalf.

5) You dont need an income to be a sponsor. You just need to meet the requirements listed on the form.

6) AS far as DNA goes, 1 member of this forum was forced to go through DNA testing for his wifes application. Dont know the circumstances behind that or why but it is a possibility. Make sure your childs birth certificate lists both of you when you register your child and hope for the best.

Good Luck.
Sangria

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
i should also add...

it really doesnt matter what your personal situation or story is. this is where a lot of people get stuck because your story is personal to you and emotions get involved.

all you are to the govt is how you present yourself in your application. you are a pile of paperwork and they are deciding your future based on that.

when sending your application the most important things are:
- that you have answered each question perfectly and clearly.
- that you have proof to back up everything you have included
- that you have ample proof of your relationship
- dont leave anything to assumption....OVER EXPLAIN yourself.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Thing is with my CIC contacts is that many have left, the ADM I worked for is now an ambassador to Africa - but somewhere on the application I will have put down previously places worked, and supervisors, so thats good. I do have a stamped passport, my credit card statements should show a few purchases in the DR, plus payments to Edesur. As for other records, I used an orange on a card, so I wouldnt have record of calls out, but I might have a few emails and such from friends.

As far as the phone cards go, if they are worth anything, I will send them anyway, I have a big bag of them.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks for the info Sangria. And btw I wasnt thinking of asking for any help from the dept, just checking if they might see that as a plus.

Ok, about the physical, that's what I thought, no way to get that done until the baby is born. The way I see it, the baby will not be sponsored, as "she" will be entitled to Cdn. citizenship correct? Whats the process there?

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
omg let's talk. I know all there is to know about common-law applications and what is enough and what isn't. I sponsored my husband (I call him this without having a marriage lisence) for PR in Canada. So far I have been able to prove the relationship beyond a doubt, but they are picky about proof that I was in the country non-stop for over one year. They want every little document they can get their hands on to prove I was there. This is the basis of common-law, so it's important. I have lots of ideas for supporting documents you can provide. Send me a PM!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Thanks for the info Sangria. And btw I wasnt thinking of asking for any help from the dept, just checking if they might see that as a plus.

Ok, about the physical, that's what I thought, no way to get that done until the baby is born. The way I see it, the baby will not be sponsored, as "she" will be entitled to Cdn. citizenship correct? Whats the process there?

i doubt they would see it is a plus because you will be approved as a sponsor as long as you arent a criminal, bankrupt or on social assistance.

its haiti that you have to worry about and they will be looking at your time together in the DR, communication, joint finances, pics, phone bills etc. they wont care who you know or where you worked.

i would suggest that if you are in canada now that you start using a regular phone to make at least some of your calls. there are some good deals out there and you will have proof of your communication.

if you were to get married soon, you would have between now & after the baby is born to gather more proof of your continued relationship since you left the DR. This will be just as important as your phone bills, rent receipts etc in the DR. if you dont get married you can take the time to gather more of the joint documents that they are looking for. letters from the landlord to prove you lived there...add your name to the lease asap, bank accounts, insurance beneficiary etc.

i would also recommend ordering a copy of both applications to go through all the requirements and see what is the best way to go. you are lucky that you can spend time there while all this is happening.

good luck
sangria

Johana

May 24, 2006
The poster that had to do the DNA test for his child was Marxsis. He profile showed last activity as March 09 - so not sure that he is checking this forum too often.

I'm sure there must be a process to have your child born in a foreign country receive Canadian citizenship. Would that be a longer process than having your child listed as a dependant that is accompanying your common-law/spouse on the application?

Maybe the DNA request came from that situation - the child is listed as a dependant that will accompany the spouse but is also listed as your child.

This is where I would call the CIC to help :)

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
1-888-242-2100

Thought I'd add that. Keep in mind they can't tell you very specific information, but generalized things, yes.