Canadian Dies in Fatal ATV Accident

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I was unaware that these vehicles even had licences or matriculas for road use ..But in relation to manholes how many years will it take the Dominican government toput in covers of heavy rubber or of strong plastic or some material with no resale value

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
it's truly a travesty that these sewer lines have few manhole covers on the road leaving Las Terreansa to the Grand Bahia Princepal El Portillo and beyond. The local government and the corrupt politicians should be blamed.

If you look at the photo of the distressed husband you can see his wife's blood on his T-shirt and then beyond the familiar road along the beach.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
What's YOUR Excuse??????????????????????

Sorry, but a good "Straight Man" is hard to find!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Indeed.. guys are a dime a dozen, but a man?? Not many of us left In this politically correct world..

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
it's truly a travesty that these sewer lines have few manhole covers on the road leaving Las Terreansa to the Grand Bahia Princepal El Portillo and beyond. The local government and the corrupt politicians should be blamed.
They weren't responsible for the operation of that ATV.

I ride that road all the time on two wheels. But I pay attention to road conditions...

Certainly it's a sad situation, but wanna bet those folks have never had any kind of non-cage training? Wanna bet they were typical "let's rent an ATV for the first time" tourists? Wanna bet she had never been on one much before?

Moto & ATV accidents are the #1 cause of non-natural-cause death & maiming in the DR, according to the Ministry of Health.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
And it keeps repeating! People think of them as "toys" that will not harm them!

Former Olympic Swimmer Amy Van Dyken-Rouen Severs Spine in ATV Accident | Bleacher Report

Former Olympic swimming champion Amy Van Dyken-Rouen is recovering following surgery to stabilize her spine after it was severed during an all-terrain vehicle accident in Scottsdale, Arizona, on Friday, according to Jeff Metcalfe of azcentral.com.

The 41-year-old six-time Olympic gold medalist told emergency personnel she had no feeling in her legs or toes, per The Associated Press, which reported that she severed her spine (via ESPN.com). Fortunately, she is said to be in good condition despite the seriousness of her injury and the circumstances of the accident.

According to a letter from the Van Dyken-Rouen families, she severed her spine at the T11 vertebrae, which came just a few millimeters from potentially rupturing her aorta.

The injury occurred when Van Dyken-Rouen struck a curb while riding the ATV in a parking lot outside of a restaurant. The impact sent her over a five- to seven-foot drop-off, according to a police report, and she was not wearing a helmet at the time.

Van Dyken-Rouen, who was found unresponsive, had to be airlifted to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center.

Her husband, Tom Rouen, a former punter for the Denver Broncos, described the hectic scene, per The Denver Post's Kieran Nicholson: "She wasn't breathing. I raised up the back of her neck with my hand, she started gasping for air."

According to Nicholson, Van Dyken-Rouen is expected to remain in the intensive care unit for the next several days.

A native of Denver, Van Dyken-Rouen first burst onto the scene at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, becoming the first U.S. female athlete to win four gold medals at a single Olympics. She would add two more gold medals at the 2000 Summer Games in Sydney, Australia.

Follow Bleacher Report Featured Columnist Patrick Clarke on Twitter.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They weren't responsible for the operation of that ATV.

I ride that road all the time on two wheels. But I pay attention to road conditions...

Certainly it's a sad situation, but wanna bet those folks have never had any kind of non-cage training? Wanna bet they were typical "let's rent an ATV for the first time" tourists? Wanna bet she had never been on one much before?

Moto & ATV accidents are the #1 cause of non-natural-cause death & maiming in the DR, according to the Ministry of Health.

Exactly. Personal responsibility is often overlooked in such accidents. It is the world wide equivalent of its not my fault.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
On Sunday American 4 time Olympic gold medal winner crashed her ATV.
Severed her spinal cord, paralyzed for life.
Yet another sad case.
It doesn't matter WHERE you ride them,...Just DON'T!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC