Canadian Kills Dominican in Drinking and Driving Accident

beasley

Oct 6, 2006
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Although I do not know anyone personally who has been a victim of a tragedy like this; it is a sad story we hear too often in this world

canadiangirl858

Oct 17, 2006
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, this is very tragic. My thoughts are with you and your family. The Canadian person should know better, drinking and driving is not acceptable here, why would they think it is acceptable anywhere else.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
My sincerest condolences to the OP and her family.

Unfortunately, drinking and driving accidents are the norm and not the exception and I fully agree that things need to change in the DR. It took a great many years to change people's mindsets regarding drinking and driving in Canada, and it will take many years to change midsets in the DR. Hopefully, it will at least start to change soon.

I'm curious to know how the police were able to say with certainty that the driver was drunk. I'm assuming they picked him up, but given the forensic capabilities of the police in Sosua/POP and the lack of breathalizer equipment, they couldn't have an accurate BAC without taking a blood sample and sending it to a lab. Those of us who are residents here know how likely that is to happen.

Had I just been in a fatal accident, I'd be disoriented, confused and scared as well. I would hope that, in the unfortunate event that I got in an accident on the way home, those factors along with the smell of the one or two beers I had had that afternoon wouldn't lead police to conclude with certainty that I was drunk.

I don't know the principals in this story, but it's worth remembering in this case as in all others, that the police don't necessarily have the inside track on the truth and yet are never shy to give their opinions stated as fact.

Drive safely -- as this story so clearly indicates, most people don't.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If I hadn't said anything, this thread would have died after 8 posts.
AZB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Fiesta Mama, the print version of today's El Faro has a piece which says that the mother of your dead friend has corrected the info that they were on a pasola and says her daughter never had one. It also says the driver of camioneta was a Margarita Estevez...........so now the driver has changed gender from the earlier report.