Cancer treatment and Hospice in the D.R.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
So you are telling me in DR thy send people home after surgery with no pain meds. I have had hurniea sugery and with out meds i would have been in bad shape that is for shour.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No Ship Shape
The morphine is for 'end of life' pain...

A bit more than your hernia...

They have p;ain pills here... tough on the old liver - acetaminophen is the favorite - but it works

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
WW only tylional that i got more then that as a kid to have a tooth pulled. I would not like to have sugery in DR then. No way.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Oxygen? Any ideas?

I found a cheap one concetrator on craigslist that might fit in my XL luggage.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My father used one--- worked very well...

had a large , plug-in one for the house
and
an over the shoulder carry pack for outside.
Even had his car equipped with a 120 plug system.
When he died my phone rang alot for that car thing....

made his life better

COPD was him - emphysema ... don't get it

you die as if being crucified - suffocation

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So you are telling me in DR thy send people home after surgery with no pain meds. I have had hurniea sugery and with out meds i would have been in bad shape that is for shour.

Our maid’s nephew was in a moto accident. Yesterday he underwent surgery at a hospital in a San Cristobal, had several screws put in his ankle area. Sent him home same day, no pain meds just a paper telling him to take something for pain. She bought something at the colmado, 20 pesos a pill, does little to nothing. I’ll send some Tramadol with her tonight, I can’t imagine the pain he’s in. 

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Our maid’s nephew was in a moto accident. Yesterday he underwent surgery at a hospital in a San Cristobal, had several screws put in his ankle area. Sent him home same day, no pain meds just a paper telling him to take something for pain. She bought something at the colmado, 20 pesos a pill, does little to nothing. I’ll send some Tramadol with her tonight, I can’t imagine the pain he’s in. 

better off with Clairin and a bag of ice.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Was it this thread?
where if you can't afford the cancer treatment/pills etc at 'the end'...
they offer you one 'final' solution... affordable too

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's rough. Sorry. My plan is to hallow out of tooth with some rockin fentynal or similar. I've seen some $hitty deaths and don't trust the docs.

He was a voluntary breather by the end... 'forcing the diaphragm as a bellows to breath.

Ultimately , a blood clot (too much prednisone ) hit his lung
not a good thing for a non-breather.....

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Had a horse fall on me as a young man (22) - crushed my left arm. Two surgeries - plate held the bone together - I have a 14" scar - went home & took meds for one day - made me crazy so I went without - The pain was not as bad as the Vicodin

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Does anybody know anything hospice-like in PP? Or, a home care nurse (ish type person)?

The GF's mother is back from Haiti. There were just no pain killers at any price in Haiti and the pills that we were shipping her were not doing the job. She's much relieved after a morphine shot.

I have no experience of this service but they maybe able to help you:-
www.medihogar.com.do

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Was it this thread?
where if you can't afford the cancer treatment/pills etc at 'the end'...
they offer you one 'final' solution... affordable too

Yes, it runs you about 250 pesos.

I've seen it in action as a neighbor tried suicide. It locks your diaphragm and the person goes completely rigid. The heart continues, so eventually, you lose consciousness and suffocate. It was impossible to blow air into her lungs, so I did old-school respiration by expanding and collapsing her chest. She started to breath after a half hour, so we could get her to the hospital, but she was pretty much recovering by that point.

She said it was a horrible experience and hasn't tried it again.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Had that - and back pain that you think will cut you in half

I just had the headaches... and 104+F temperature that dropped to 101.5 for 9-10 more days.
Hit me on the plane ride POP to Newark..... not much fun

But I do think the 'final' offering given here can be a good solution sometimes.
As I understand it here -
it's considered a merciful way to finish if you can't afford the necessary medications needed for your comfort.

Not free but affordable to many

My pal that had the adrenal cancer...
even my oncologist winced when I said 'adrenal'...
Oh no - there are ways to go --- he said
that's not one of them

So pain can literally be a killer....

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
But I do think the 'final' offering given here can be a good solution sometimes.
As I understand it here -
it's considered a merciful way to finish if you can't afford the necessary medications needed for your comfort.

I agree. To quote my step mother "we treat dogs better than we do people". Of course, it needs some rules as you don't want people offing each other to get at the inheritance or an easy divorce.

As for the RD, my girlfriend claims everybody knows about it. When you're tired of living, you just go to the farmacia and ask for it. Everybody knows what it is for.