Car & Driver

Winker

Mar 3, 2003
I am interested in renting a car in POP but I would also like a driver. I am from the middle of no where in Ontario and hate driving in cities like Toronto or even smaller ones. I have also read the posts regarding newbies not driving in the DR. Any suggestions?
I have met a few locals while doing the tourist type tours who have offered to be guides but I think they may be in the "sankie" category and I am not sure I could trust them. Would this perhaps be a good option, driving Miss Daisy for cash? Do you think they would respect the fact that all I want is a driver? Should I just stick to a Taxi? Can I hire one for a full day? If I do what would be the approximate cost?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rachael

Feb 8, 2002
e-mail Martin what you are looking to accomplish and he will get back to you with a price. I have used him myself and found him friendly and knowledgable. Also referred a friend to him that had a great time. His e-mail is espinal30@msn.com, not sure if this is his exact cup of tea, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is another one there

His name is Wilson and he has received very high marks from those that have used him.

HB

CANUCK2

May 24, 2002
I have lived in the DR (POP area) for months each year since 1987 and have a number of very good friends and responsible taxi drivers we've come to know in this area. We often use one particular driver for exactly the type of arrangement you're looking for. You're welcome to contact me directly if you'd like me to contact him for rates, arrangements, etc.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
We have used Wilson, who may be the same one Hillbilly referred to. He's from the Sosua taxi place.

He spoke good english, was clean cut, and drove carefully. I paid him $70 US for one full day of shopping in Santiago. That price seemed a bit high to me but gas has gone up and it was 3 hour round trip, plus putting up with me all day dragging him in and out of stores to translate and haul out packages.

GREATZKY

Sep 5, 2003
Try a guy named RAMBO he is great. Very safe, no unsafe passing or speeding. You can reach him through Chris Coats the owner of Chris & mady's in Cofresi: chrismadys@codetel.net.do .
Have a drink for me at C&M's

Winker

Mar 3, 2003
You Are Wonderful People

Thanks so much for the info, I will email the contacts provided closer to my departure date.
I have read about some waterfalls and out of the way places and that is where I am hoping to visit, having this information just makes the anticipation even greater, I can't wait.
Thanks again :cool:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OIC!!

For those day trips you do not want to use a car and driver. You book them at the hotel and they pick you up at your hotel..

Look at the posts by sliverghost in the Trip Reports section. I think there are four of them and they tell all about his trips..A must read

HB

Edited to add: Sliverghost also posted under the name of Gray Ghost