Car engine “broken”

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I was told by 2 mechanics in Puerto Plata that the engine on my Santa Fe 2015 is “deviolada” which translates to “broken”. It clac-clac-clac on acceleration and sometimes dies. I drove it to Santiago And took it to a reputed place (AHK) which has a yard full of Santa Fe with the same issue. he says the engine is finished and needs to be replaced and that is the best option. The Engine could be taken apart and a repair attempted but the mechanic says that it is risky in terms of being able to fix the problem and/or to find the exact part that needs changing and this would take a lot more time.

i am being quoted a price of 140;000 pesos for an imported used motor and 25,000 for the labour. This would come with 1 month garantie and would take less than 1 week. Does the price make sense? any alternative ? Any questions I should ask ? Or just pay and hope for the best ?

comments and advice please?

thank you!

Jan 9, 2004
I was told by 2 mechanics in Puerto Plata that the engine on my Santa Fe 2015 is “deviolada” which translates to “broken”. It clac-clac-clac on acceleration and sometimes dies. I drove it to Santiago And took it to a reputed place (AHK) which has a yard full of Santa Fe with the same issue. he says the engine is finished and needs to be replaced and that is the best option. The Engine could be taken apart and a repair attempted but the mechanic says that it is risky in terms of being able to fix the problem and/or to find the exact part that needs changing and this would take a lot more time.

i am being quoted a price of 140;000 pesos for an imported used motor and 25,000 for the labour. This would come with 1 month garantie and would take less than 1 week. Does the price make sense? any alternative ? Any questions I should ask ? Or just pay and hope for the best ?

thank you!

The numbers being quoted are fair, if and only if, the motor does not have an extraordinary amount of miles. Auto recyclers list the amount of miles on the motor when they offer it for sale……and that is the first question I would ask your mechanic. Hopefully, you get an honest answer.

And know that a replacement engine may have the same internal defect as the one you are replacing. 2013, 2015, 2017 Santa Fe’s are notorious for engine failure at the 90,000 mile mark.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Neargale

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The quote sounds fair to me. In my experience that is the better option. My Prado engine overheated when the water pump failed. I went for an engine rebuild, but it didn't last. The second time I opted for a good imported engine from an engine importer in Santiago called Japon Motors. The engine came with a guarantee. Admittedly there is no way of knowing an imported engine's history, but I seem to have struck it lucky. Compressions are good and doesn't use oil.

Three years down the road and still gong strong.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The quote sounds fair to me. In my experience that is the better option. My Prado engine overheated when the water pump failed. I went for an engine rebuild, but it didn't last. The second time I opted for a good imported engine from an engine importer in Santiago called Japon Motors. The engine came with a guarantee. Admittedly there is no way of knowing an imported engine's history, but I seem to have struck it lucky. Compressions are good and doesn't use oil.

Three years down the road and still gong strong.
What year is your Prado, Beeza? Gas or Diesel?

I have a 2008 4 cylinder non turbo diesel that I took in to the dealer for maintenance.
When the tech asked me what I needed, I told him I wanted to change the timing belt. He looked at me and laughed and asked me "Why?"

I told him because of the milage, and he told me it wasn't necessary yet (with 250 km) but it was smart to do it anyway.

I went to pick it up a couple of days later. He handed me what I thought was a new belt, and he smiled and said "that's the one we took out"

But then he said that the water pump was moist, meaning it had a minimal leak so they changed it since it's in there where the belt lives. I think I dodged a bullet there, but he said it would have lasted another year or two. (No thanks)

I also had them install new heaters for the fuel since it would take a second or so to start.

Last edited:
Reactions: jd426

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
What year is your Prado, Beeza? Gas or Diesel?

I have a 2008 4 cylinder non turbo diesel that I took in to the dealer for maintenance.
When the tech asked me what I needed, I told him I wanted to change the timing belt. He looked at me and laughed and asked me "Why?"

I told him because of the milage, and he told me it wasn't necessary yet (with 250 km) but it was smart to do it anyway.

I went to pick it up a couple of days later. He handed me what I thought was a new belt, and he smiled and said "that's the one we took out"

But then he said that the water pump was moist, meaning it had a minimal leak so they changed it since it's in there where the belt lives. I think I dodged a bullet there, but he said it would have lasted another year or two. (No thanks)

I also had them install new heaters for the fuel since it would take a second or so to start.
It's a '99 turbo diesel. Sounds like you did dodge a bullet. The water pump on mine had a bearing failure and consequently dumped all its coolant. The bad design on this engine is that the coolant temperature sensor is at the top of the engine. When you loose coolant, the sensor no longer reads to warn you of an impending overheat. The engine promptly stopped and seized.

"Se fundio cono"

I hope the 2008 model has a low coolant sensor.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok and JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
It's a '99 turbo diesel. Sounds like you did dodge a bullet. The water pump on mine had a bearing failure and consequently dumped all its coolant. The bad design on this engine is that the coolant temperature sensor is at the top of the engine. When you loose coolant, the sensor no longer reads to warn you of an impending overheat. The engine promptly stopped and seized.

"Se fundio cono"

I hope the 2008 model has a low coolant sensor.
Boy, I love those models. They really are good trucks. I'm watching one on FB now that still looks like brand new.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Boy, I love those models. They really are good trucks. I'm watching one on FB now that still looks like brand new.
We affectionally call it the Tractor. I love it. Has a three inch lift, 35in all terrain tyres, snorkel, winch, etc. It will go anywhere.

ODO currently reading 631,133kms! Now on it's second engine.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Kia and Hyundai had serious engine problems in the range of your vehicle. My advice would be to fix it at the best price and trade it in.
I currently have a 2012 Kia and the corrosion problems are beyond belief.
If we buy another vehicle here it will not be Korean

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Kia and Hyundai had serious engine problems in the range of your vehicle. My advice would be to fix it at the best price and trade it in.
I currently have a 2012 Kia and the corrosion problems are beyond belief.
If we buy another vehicle here it will not be Korean
I have a 2007 Santa Fe with the 3.3 liter six. That engine is bulletproof. Other than having a sparkplug lead fail I haven't had a single engine problem. 134,000 miles on it.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Sorry for going off on a tangent there.. Neargale, what is the overall condition of your vehicle? Do you know the milage of the engine the mechanic found? Did he say where it was imported from?

Jan 9, 2004
I have a 2007 Santa Fe with the 3.3 liter six. That engine is bulletproof. Other than having a sparkplug lead fail I haven't had a single engine problem. 134,000 miles on it.

Other than some ignition coil misfire issues and leaking valve cover gaskets, the 2007 Santa Fe is generally well regarded.

The years I mentioned above, 2013, 2015, 2017 had rod bearing issue defects which could lead to catastrophic engine failure. And there were a number of recalls issued by Hyundai to address those issues/complaints.

It is generally not enough to say a brand is excellent or problematic or a model of that brand is excellent or problematic, as all the manufacturers have had good years……and not so good years.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
A great example? Land Rover. Land Rover vehicles 1994 and earlier are work horses that are well respected (and valuable) desireable vehicles.
Since 1995 they have gotten progressively worse every year.

I've looked for a 94 Range Rover for years to add to my stable. I missed getting one in Santiago because the seller was a jerk. I doubt there are many left.

Jan 9, 2004
A great example? Land Rover. Land Rover vehicles 1994 and earlier are work horses that are well respected (and valuable) desireable vehicles.
Since 1995 they have gotten progressively worse every year.

I've looked for a 94 Range Rover for years to add to my stable. I missed getting one in Santiago because the seller was a jerk. I doubt there are many left.

They have gotten much better in recent years. That’s not to say there are still better choices, but that is a personal decision. The worst years seem to be the decade from 2000-2010.

Personally, I believe you are paying too high a premium for the badge. There are better and more reliable vehicles in their class.

My clients pay for a data base of the worst, most problematic cars and then buy all they can at salvage insurance auctions. Seems counterintuitive until you know that they are a major automotive parts recycler and having used parts available for the most problematic vehicles is sound business.

When I saw the OP and ran the vehicle through that database……it became clear as to what the issue might be.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

DRforme

Oct 23, 2022
USA

thank you!
Sadly you fall into the Hyundai 2011-2015 engine recall range. I own a 2013 sonata here in the U.S. and have received 3 letters from Hyundai that state that I’m covered for engine failure and replacement. You can check your VIN on NHSTA recall but in your situation being in DR Hyundai will most certainly deny any such warranty. If your Hyundai is in good shape you could go for the used engine but with one caveat. Be sure you are not going to replace with an engine from the recall years or you may be back in this situation in short order. I know 165,000 pesos sounds pretty good to get back on the road versus buying another vehicle. But I would hate to see you throwing away money. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Reactions: Neargale

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The problem Kia engines are:
2011 to 2014 Optima
2012 to 2014 Sorento
2011 to 2013 Sportage
According to Kia they used the Theta engine that was prone to premature bearing failure that caused engine seizures

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I would strongly recommend they check with the dealer, and insist on the repairs.

I've had a couple of warranty jobs done at Delta on my Prado and it's 7 years older.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Sorry for going off on a tangent there.. Neargale, what is the overall condition of your vehicle? Do you know the milage of the engine the mechanic found? Did he say where it was imported from?
My Santa Fe is in great shape, everything works Very well. There Is a serial number on the engine the mechanic found. I googled that number and it is from an auction house. The car was a Kia Sorento 2015 LX, salvaged, with 128,329 Km or 80206 miles on it. It was listed as in Trenton, NJ.
Amazing what one finds on the internet.