Car financing to non residents?

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Only if you plan on spending a lot of time on the back roads. The roads here are much better now then they were 10 or 20 yrs. ago.

Dawiky502

Aug 10, 2020
Santiago
Yes, the dealers will give you financing with a passport not all of them but a lot do. But like many said here the rates won't be good. Expect 12-15% annual rates from the dealers. The banks were giving out 7-10% rates this month duento covid loans the government was giving, but getting a loan from a bank without a cedula will be very hard if not impossible. My recomendation, save USD8-10K and buy a used a car.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
It will be difficult ( maybe impossible through a big bank) I just experienced this .

We wanted a second car and didn't want to buy another used since we plan to use the vehicle when we go on long trips. We decided on a 2020 CRV (The version built for the latin american market, it has less of the luxury of the American sold one but it's new)

Ban Reservas had a special running at the start of the month of 6% annual on new vehicles. So we applied together.

I have an account with them as does my wife.

No go on the joint application, but yes to her by herself.

We decide to just have her finance it as no way we were getting 6% annuial from other lenders.

So your options will be the private lenders at a 11%-13%% rate . If you use a dealer , it's still going to be sent to one of those larger private lenders, they will be just be the middle man.

Reactions: Castro156

Castro156

Oct 9, 2011
NEW YORK
Yes, the dealers will give you financing with a passport not all of them but a lot do. But like many said here the rates won't be good. Expect 12-15% annual rates from the dealers. The banks were giving out 7-10% rates this month duento covid loans the government was giving, but getting a loan from a bank without a cedula will be very hard if not impossible. My recomendation, save USD8-10K and buy a used a car.
Yea, this seems to be the overall info I've come across in the last few days. Save up, pay cash, get a better deal and I'll save money in the long run... Thanks for your valuable feedback!

Castro156

Oct 9, 2011
NEW YORK
It will be difficult ( maybe impossible through a big bank) I just experienced this .

We wanted a second car and didn't want to buy another used since we plan to use the vehicle when we go on long trips. We decided on a 2020 CRV (The version built for the latin american market, it has less of the luxury of the American sold one but it's new)

Ban Reservas had a special running at the start of the month of 6% annual on new vehicles. So we applied together.

I have an account with them as does my wife.

No go on the joint application, but yes to her by herself.

We decide to just have her finance it as no way we were getting 6% annuial from other lenders.

So your options will be the private lenders at a 11%-13%% rate . If you use a dealer , it's still going to be sent to one of those larger private lenders, they will be just be the middle man.
Great feedback, thanks so much for taking the time... Was the no go on the joint account because you're not a resident? (just a follow up question)

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Hey all, hope everyone is safe out there!

I haven't posted in a while but I'm really happy to see the page still going strong and updated...

Ok so here it goes, I'm looking into getting a small car to move around while in RD next year and was wondering if anyone can tell me if banks or dealers finance cars to NON RESIDENTS... I'm Dominican/ American but still haven't gone the extra mile to do my dual citizenship (I will in 2021).

I have a Bank account in DR with Banco de Reservas, my family has a house in Salcedo, I travel often to the country and am planning to live there in the next few years (God willing).

Any advice, info and or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I financed the purchase of a new car from Vegamovil and didnt even have a bank account. I was working in Guyana did everyone by email. When I arrived, I went to the office signed the papers and drove off. Its very possible.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
I financed the purchase of a new car from Vegamovil and didnt even have a bank account. I was working in Guyana did everyone by email. When I arrived, I went to the office signed the papers and drove off. Its very possible.
Like I mentioned dealers will broker a finance for you , it's just that your rate will not be 6% annual it will be in the double digits.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Depending where you'll use it ---- Sto Dom... no need to be tough

Where I live - Yup, needed
I have an Isuzu MUX and am getting an X-Terra

My friend got a 'deal' on a Jaguar....
can't negotiate the local roads - needs height and strong suspension
You replacing the MUX?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I hear ya. They're last forever trucks and engines.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's a passenger carrying D-MAX..... 3 rows of seats if you want..... BIG car
Very economical gas......

$$$$ car.... hard to get.... never too many around.... 2 on SuperCarros last week...... gone I think now