Car/jeep recommendations

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Supercarros says 0 cars 2010-2011 in that price range!

I looked at one in Moca at around the same price point. Flew to Atlanta instead and bought similar for $30k. With exoneracion + shipping should end up costing me ~$35k.

please report back on the details of the shipping adventure.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I know a 4x4 is definitely best, and in that category I would love nothing more than a Jeep Wrangler. OMG these things with a few upgrades could go into a battlezone and take bullets!

I am contemplating what little car I should bring over from the U.S. and I had an idea..what do you guys think about a Smart?They are dirt cheap...starting at $10,900 brand new. Check out the link:

Smart Car Link

I would definitely think to upgrade the suspension and/or tires for just getting around town. I am a tall guy and always have legroom issues. Unless I had actually sat down in one, I would have never known how spacious it really is. It was more spacious than my old Toyota Camry! Damn little car is a rolling optical illusion lol

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Who is going to fix this Smart car?

You re better off bringing a Yaris or something like that. If size is an issue. Or you can always get one of the Chevrolet Hi-Jet golf cart pickup trucks that run on propane.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011

You re better off bringing a Yaris or something like that. If size is an issue. Or you can always get one of the Chevrolet Hi-Jet golf cart pickup trucks that run on propane.

Racer, damn good question. One that needs further inquiry to answer...
Smart is made by Daimler AG (Mercedes Benz), so are there any Benz dealers? That is if I were to keep it stock ;)

Another interesting possibility with this car is that engine can be swapped with a motorcycle engine. Suzuki GSXR anyone? You can read about it here Smart Car with Suzuki Motorcycle Engine

This car has been sold worldwide for quite some time....Here is the Wikipedia article. Just wanting opinions on what you guys think. I can't imagine how funny this car would look with a snorkel LMAO

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I know who makes the Smart car. But WHO is going to FIX the smart car? Mercedes also makes the Sprinter but most Dodge dealers hate the thing..in America. In DR? Haha! I guarantee you cannot find anyone to fix that car right. And even if you found a Benz importer I bet you dollars to dingbats they wouldnt stock any parts for a Smart Car.

I m still an advocate of the Chevy Hi Jet. As least you can fill that up cheaply AND you can order it flex fuel capable not some after market cob job you'd have done here.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Ok, I see your point and will keep that in mind.

I can't find any info on a Chevy Hi Jet, got a link you could throw my way? I only find a daihatsu hi-jet....

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

In Canada repairing a Smart costs a fortune. Here it will cost you 3 fortunes or more. Too bad, I kinda like the little beast.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Ok, I see your point and will keep that in mind.

I can't find any info on a Chevy Hi Jet, got a link you could throw my way? I only find a daihatsu hi-jet....

Kei truck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They all look the same, regardless of maker. I m American so I advocate for the Chevys. I worked at a Chrysler dealer who sold a version of these but they were all-electric. These things may not be the best on the highway but to get around the city it is not bad.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Dude, that vehicle looks as ugly as a possum's rear end! WTF lolol

And how exactly do you figure this is a Chevy?!?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
GM makes a batch of these little micro-crappers. And they all have a Chevy badge on them. It s not called a Hi-Jet but then again every SUV isnt a Jeep but that is what we call these types of cars.

Besides man, a Lambo Diablo it isnt, but then again a Diablo dont come with a functional 6 foot bed, much less ANY cargo space.

Nov 10, 2010
Thanks all for your input,

Im still trying to work out how to get a strong/reliable vehicle for the DR without the fuel price tag that comes with it.
I mean a wranger will guzzle the $$$ in fuel .... true??

A friend of mine has LPG in his ford explorer.... hmmmm.

I have seen some patriots made by jeep in supercarros for $18000....... maybe ill put LPG in one fo those.
hey im just thinking out loud....... if you have any thougths please share them

cheers

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i like terrios, our neighbours have one and tehy totally love it. decent size, decent height, good looks. fairly cheap too.
mother in law has a wrangler sahara, not only drinks petrol like hell but has sky high insurance rate.

Nov 10, 2010
i like terrios, our neighbours have one and tehy totally love it. decent size, decent height, good looks. fairly cheap too.
mother in law has a wrangler sahara, not only drinks petrol like hell but has sky high insurance rate.

how much is cheap????? i like the terios ... nice looking car

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I just checked out the Terios...not a bad looking little guy! Co-developed by Toyota w/ a Toyota engine (for the 2nd gen model), short(ish) wheel base, nice approach and exit angles, I really like it! Some big tires on this and it might be just what I need for the streets that have big burial plots, er... i mean pot holes~!

Anyone have experience with reliability or parts availablity for this car? How much can you get these for?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Im still trying to work out how to get a strong/reliable vehicle for the DR without the fuel price tag that comes with it.
I mean a wranger will guzzle the $$$ in fuel .... true??
I can't understand why theses Jeeps engine are so bad on gas miles, I got rid of my Dakota truck two weeks ago.
Now I'm getting same gas miles in my Toyota Camry with $ 25. bucks / week instead of 60. it used to be before using the Dodge truck.

JJ

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I would NOT recommend that you get any kind of Jeep, Wrangler or others. Some dear friends had one and it is a nightmare brand to own in the DR. Parts are VERY expensive and often have to be special ordered and shipped into the country (assuming you want Jeep brand not knockoff replacement parts) and there is no one that is properly trained to do repairs. Quite often the mechanics would mess something up while trying to fix the original problem. I can't tell you how many different mechanics they tried in the Santo Domingo area before giving up and getting a Toyota. And this was a Dominican/American couple by the way, not two expats getting fleeced by mechanics.

They loved Jeeps in the States but came to realize that they should have a Jeep in the States for when visiting their home there - but not a Jeep in the DR. An expensive lesson but now they only own Toyotas in DR, parts and decent mechanics are more readily available and reasonably priced.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I did help my friend who owns a nice shop here in Raleigh to do a heater core replacement on a 2008 Jeep Cherokee, ridiculous we had to disassemble half car to perform this work.
The owner was charged 8 hours labor plus parts, US $$$ 1,000.

I have pictures some where in HD, in DR you can go around with this if the core heater start leaking in your car by cutting the coolant hoses and have then clogged, you don't the heater over there.

Even here in US is challenging to work in some vehicles.

JJ

Last edited:

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Speaking of Jeeps...

There is a new diesel Jeep available this year....mileage would be excellent and much more reliable than gas engine.

But don't know if imported to the DR....anyone live near a Jeep dealer? Would be worth checking out. If someone does, please post if available and cost in DR.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I would NOT recommend that you get any kind of Jeep, Wrangler or others. Some dear friends had one and it is a nightmare brand to own in the DR. Parts are VERY expensive and often have to be special ordered and shipped into the country (assuming you want Jeep brand not knockoff replacement parts) and there is no one that is properly trained to do repairs. Quite often the mechanics would mess something up while trying to fix the original problem. I can't tell you how many different mechanics they tried in the Santo Domingo area before giving up and getting a Toyota. And this was a Dominican/American couple by the way, not two expats getting fleeced by mechanics.

They loved Jeeps in the States but came to realize that they should have a Jeep in the States for when visiting their home there - but not a Jeep in the DR. An expensive lesson but now they only own Toyotas in DR, parts and decent mechanics are more readily available and reasonably priced.

I m sorry man, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the Jeep. That has everything to do with the incompetence of the people fixing the car. If you can have a shop in the US or Canada or Austria and you can get your Jeep and Toyota fixed without fail but in the DR only a Toyota can get fixed but a Jeep will get screwed. That is not the car's fault. That is the service team's fault for being useless. Apart from small differences these cars are very similar. I worked for a Toyota dealer in Fort Lauderdale and there was nothing on a 4Runner or Tacoma or Tundra/Sequoia that I couldnt see that they didnt copy from General Motors. And if you cant fix a Chevy you cant fix nothing. I suspect that anyone could screw up electrical work in the DR, but air conditioning and suspensions are pretty much the same across the board. There is nothing intricate with replacing water pumps and radiators. So as I see it is basically the thought process isnt too flexible and innovative allowing someone to fix more than a Toyota. Which leads me to conclude they are not good at fixing Toyotas either, only that they are familiar with the brand.

icey

Aug 2, 2004
Car shopping

I feel for you if it's your first time shopping for a car in the DR.... I looked for months and was shocked at the scams and nonsense that dealers and non dealers get away with... I too took the time and spent the money to run Carfax's on anything I looked at and liked. So getting a car that came from US is first priority otherwise can't check the Carfax. You'll be bummed out to know ? I think I ran about 20 cars.... I'd say about 15 were tampered with odometers. Turn backs.... A lot were as stated before on this thread. Accidents, repos, former rental cars, and some even totals.... Wow !! I'd heard some things but this was a wake up call...

With dilligence I did finally locate a Ford Escape Limited V6 2005. Clean fax, no problems... I've done some preventive maintenance, brakes, oil (religiously), and some new rubber. Been trouble free and a big relief. No problem with Ford parts here.

So you can find something good. Just hang in there and be patient. You've had some good advice from other posters. Toyotos, Honda, Nissan.... all good choices...

I almost took the plunge on a Nissan Murano after a lot of research. Those have excellent service history. I think you could land a 2007 or 2008 if you're lucky for 18k....Negotiate hard...and don't be afraid to walk away...You'll find something ..

Good luck !!!