Car Rental

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Just going by my own experiences here I would agree that renting a car here for most tourists would these days involve too much risks for scams.

Traffic is actually manageable most of the time, but in reality the consequences of contact with the Policia National or Baddies are such that although the incidence might be low, the consequences can be very disturbing.

This wasn't the case in the past to the same extent and illustrates the sliding slope on which Dominican Society has been moving.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
Wtf

I'm reconsidering the notion of simply hiring a driver. For the same $2000-3000 RD/night, the vehicle and accidents are someone else's problem for the evening. I can get my grocery shopping and such done during the day on my quad when it's less crazy (save for the excursion drivers).

I have rented cars over 30 times here. I know the roads in SD and I have never had a problem. But, after reading this, I will pay a guy 1500 pesos for the day plus gas. Really, who wants to go to jail because of a fender bender. Who wants to get extorted by the PN for at least double what the daily rental fee is. I guess I have been lucky, and after reading this, I'm not pressing it!!!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I do mostly agree with everything said......... but.

Although it is not Kansas ( not that I would know how peole drive or live there :laugh: ), it is not Bagdad either........

Car rental agencies rip people off on insurance and pseudo-damage all over the world, it is not specific to the dr.
Also if u do manage to get ure hands on a car for a fair price ( for tourists on holiday ), u would mainly be using outside of the "major prone location and times " for accidents ie big towns, holiday weekends, late night after disco........
I have often had people round to visit ( of my parents age, late 60's/70's ) and lots have wanted a week to tour some of the island in a rental ( more often than not, la isabala to las terranas ). None have ever had a problem, neither with a rental, neither with accidents.

As for thugs, dont drive at night ( again this is only for my tourist visitors ), dont stop in isolated places....... common sense whatever country u are visiting.
As for the biggest organised gang of thugs ( ie PN ), they always seem to be very nice and helpful towards tourists, especially elders........ I always explain the handout system ( so they dont pay to much :laugh: ), but none have had to use it, so.........

Lets face it, the chance of a tourist getting in to an accident, carjacked, shaken down by PN...... are very slim.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Rented a car last week, Europacar on indepencia, $100 a day mid sized vehicle, absolute coverage, all good.

Yes, you guys are all absolute pussies who can't adapt slightly. Just drive as normal, drink lots and most will avoid you. Living proof speaking!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I do mostly agree with everything said......... but.

Although it is not Kansas ( not that I would know how peole drive or live there :laugh: ), it is not Bagdad either........

Car rental agencies rip people off on insurance and pseudo-damage all over the world, it is not specific to the dr.
Also if u do manage to get ure hands on a car for a fair price ( for tourists on holiday ), u would mainly be using outside of the "major prone location and times " for accidents ie big towns, holiday weekends, late night after disco........
I have often had people round to visit ( of my parents age, late 60's/70's ) and lots have wanted a week to tour some of the island in a rental ( more often than not, la isabala to las terranas ). None have ever had a problem, neither with a rental, neither with accidents.

As for thugs, dont drive at night ( again this is only for my tourist visitors ), dont stop in isolated places....... common sense whatever country u are visiting.
As for the biggest organised gang of thugs ( ie PN ), they always seem to be very nice and helpful towards tourists, especially elders........ I always explain the handout system ( so they dont pay to much :laugh: ), but none have had to use it, so.........

Lets face it, the chance of a tourist getting in to an accident, carjacked, shaken down by PN...... are very slim.

Yes, the chances are very slim, but the outcome for some visitors can be serious.

Personally I will continue driving here, but I have been pulled over in the last visits at several places and been asked for handouts. So far I've been able to avoid paying out.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Yes, the chances are very slim, but the outcome for some visitors can be serious.

Personally I will continue driving here, but I have been pulled over in the last visits at several places and been asked for handouts. So far I've been able to avoid paying out.

I try to be all in order, ie marbete, securacion, revista, legal firearm with permit........ and then I will not pay anything.
Locally it is diffrent....... a beer or a small bottle of brugal once a year at the local small PN post, goes a long way........ and I do not consider it a handout but more as a "neighbourly" gesture of goodwill.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I try to be all in order, ie marbete, securacion, revista, legal firearm with permit........ and then I will not pay anything.
Locally it is diffrent....... a beer or a small bottle of brugal once a year at the local small PN post, goes a long way........ and I do not consider it a handout but more as a "neighbourly" gesture of goodwill.

Of course it is different for us. I was thinking about the more casual visitor being stopped by the PN at a road block and being asked 'what you have for me 'eh, what give me' whilst his breath smelled of rum. This is a true story of a catch-and-release coming down the mountain after visiting Cobra in Jarabacoa at the turn off at La Vega underpass towards Santiago. In the end I was released with my dignity and pesos intact but I wasn't comfortable when he kept asking me in a menacing way for his present.

Imagine that for a casual visitor who speaks no Spanish.

Last edited:

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Of course it is different for us. I was thinking about the more casual visitor being stopped by the PN at a road block and being asked 'what you have for me 'eh, what give me' whilst his breath smelled of rum. This is a true story of a catch-and-release coming down the mountain after visiting Cobra in Jarabacoa at the turn off at La Vega underpass towards Santiago. In the end I was released with my dignity and pesos intact but I wasn't comfortable when he kept asking me in a menacing way for his present.

Imagine that for a casual visitor who speaks no Spanish.

For sure that doesnt pass well on the country's touristy image..........