Car won't shut down!

Jan 9, 2004
Not sure if it's related to the Hyundai, but I had a similar issue with my Toyota Highlander. When I switched the car off and walked away, the radio came on all by itself. The reason I found out, is that my phone automatically connected its bluetooth when I was sat in a restaurant nearby.

It took me a while to find the problem, but it was related to a blocked sunroof drain. The passenger footwell had filled with water and some electrical connectors got wet causing the fault.

After clearing the blocked drain and drying it out, the problem was fixed. Modern sunroofs aren't water tight. They usually leak into a ledge beneath the opening and water is drained out through the pillars. If the drains are blocked, the car fills with water which can cause electrical gremlins.

I hate sunroofs. Stupid idea. Don't think I've ever opened mine. My car has AC after all, as do most these days. What's the point of a sunroof?

Kudos to you for figuring that one out.

Simple answer to the point of a sunroof…….or to a whole host of other add ons…..…….more profit.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Not sure if it's related to the Hyundai, but I had a similar issue with my Toyota Highlander. When I switched the car off and walked away, the radio came on all by itself. The reason I found out, is that my phone automatically connected its bluetooth when I was sat in a restaurant nearby.

It took me a while to find the problem, but it was related to a blocked sunroof drain. The passenger footwell had filled with water and some electrical connectors got wet causing the fault.

After clearing the blocked drain and drying it out, the problem was fixed. Modern sunroofs aren't water tight. They usually leak into a ledge beneath the opening and water is drained out through the pillars. If the drains are blocked, the car fills with water which can cause electrical gremlins.

I hate sunroofs. Stupid idea. Don't think I've ever opened mine. My car has AC after all, as do most these days. What's the point of a sunroof?
I had a similar problem with a Caddie STS. Stereo would stop start, sunroof opened by itself. Rear floormats soaked. By a plugged drain. Oh, the battery was passanger side under the rear seat. Don't ask why.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I have a Hyunda Sonata...As it also has the electric key fob...If I buy my next car soon it will have a real KEY....if you lose that fob you will have a nightmare in this country... cost to replace up to and over $200 dollars, and then some mechanic has to reprogram the new fob....in the USA most cars come with 2 fobs not one... but here only one. I wonder why ?.........

Reactions: cavok

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Problem solved!

Here is the solution found on the Hyundai forum...scroll down to user id Kameleau:
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/2015-santa-fe-sport-won’t-power-down.679093/#post-6088078

Most mechanics wanted to change the ignition button. It took a few tries to get a Dominican believing a "wife"! Most would not even want to look at the photo until a bright one said... ok, lets see what she thinks! I thereby propose a National Holiday to celebrate "she is right" said by 2 Dominicans! LOL

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Reactions: Ed Gein and melphis
Jan 9, 2004
Problem solved!

Here is the solution found on the Hyundai forum...scroll down to user id Kameleau:
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/2015-santa-fe-sport-won’t-power-down.679093/#post-6088078

Most mechanics wanted to change the ignition button. It took a few tries to get a Dominican believing a "wife"! Most would not even want to look at the photo until a bright one said... ok, lets see what she thinks! I thereby propose a National Holiday to celebrate "she is right" said by 2 Dominicans! LOL

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Congrats.

Often times those electrical related gremlins can become time consuming and expensive.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Ed Gein

Banned
Aug 24, 2021
Plainfield, Wisconsin
Problem solved!
Well done! Sometimes all it takes is persevering in your search.

Over the last 10 years, or however long YouTube has been useful for these things, I've learned to fix and replace all kinds of things. I would never have bothered or been able to if we're being honest to figure it out without all the guidance offered online.