Cardiologist and other hostages

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Because Haiti would never would let a Dominican military to be in their territories, thats why Im pretty sure was in Dominican side.
This reminds me what happen when Port-au-Prince got hit with the 2010 earthquake. Somehow Haitian politicians, including the then prime minister Rene Preval, got news that the DR was going to send Dominican military personnel to help with the search and rescue of Haitians, and also to offer protection to Dominican truckers transporting Dominican aid to Haiti. Rene Preval made it very clear that Dominican military personnel were not welcomed in Haiti and a sort of panic took place among many high ranking Haitians. The Dominican president Leonel Fernandez had to publicly clarify that Dominican military personnel was not going to be sent into Haiti for humanitarian purposes. At one point several Dominican truckers were attacked in Haiti and lost the help they were transporting due to no security offered to them once they crossed into Haiti.

At that same time Brazil said they will be sending Brazilian military personnel to help with the search and rescue in Haiti. Haitian politicians remained quiet and the Haitian media presented Brazil´s offer as a nice gesture of much needed help.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
What the military needs to do is set a trap for these types of folks,
then once caught, make an example out of a few of them. Once word
gets around the border communities they'll be properly punished for
fikungc with people....
Its highly unlikely we'll be hearing about anyone else being kidnapped
around the border again anytime soon :cheeky:

Yacine

Oct 23, 2005
exactly, it is on Haitian side f the river. and that is why you need a special permit from DR military to transit that segment of the road and re enter the other side,. i still have not heard that they went true the proper checkpoint to get that authorization (Just in case, i'm not justifying nor approving the act of that group of Haitian). Again i suspect military would not have given the authorizing paper as there were protests since Friday.

There is a section of that road that is in Haiti, which is where the situation took place. The river is the border. And if there was military presence, this may also be why they took no protective action: they were in a foreign country.

This also is why there is military presence and checkpoints: they are there to prevent Haitians from coming across the border. That area is desolate so an immigration and customs office is not there.

EBJ8QL.jpg

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Personally if i am driving along a road, and up ahead there is an angry crowd blocking the way, burning stuff, etc......i'd give it a quick u-turn and fukc off back the way i came.......just saying.

It hardly seemed to be an organised ambush ( per the video ), like the articles makes it seem....... more like a bunch of dominicans and haitians mulling about. " sequestrado" lol, i had pictures of hostages lying on the ground, held at gun point by masked para-military, when, in effect, its a bunch of guys in flip-flops with sticks and stones, and a couple of machetes....... and the guy is filming it with his cellphone lol, and i guess he is dominican ( he sounds it at least ).

Not to say it was not a traumatic experience for the doctor and his friends, as i am sure it was.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
exactly, it is on Haitian side f the river. and that is why you need a special permit from DR military to transit that segment of the road and re enter the other side,. i still have not heard that they went true the proper checkpoint to get that authorization (Just in case, i'm not justifying nor approving the act of that group of Haitian). Again i suspect military would not have given the authorizing paper as there were protests since Friday.
In the interview given to Marisela (I posted the two parts videos) one of the guys clearly says that a military guard told them they can pass.

The entire event took place in La Palmita. I highly doubt that area is on the Haitian side, considering the name is in Spanish.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Personally if i am driving along a road, and up ahead there is an angry crowd blocking the way, burning stuff, etc......i'd give it a quick u-turn and fukc off back the way i came.......just saying.

It hardly seemed to be an organised ambush ( per the video ), like the articles makes it seem....... more like a bunch of dominicans and haitians mulling about. " sequestrado" lol, i had pictures of hostages lying on the ground, held at gun point by masked para-military, when, in effect, its a bunch of guys in flip-flops with sticks and stones, and a couple of machetes....... and the guy is filming it with his cellphone lol, and i guess he is dominican ( he sounds it at least ).

Not to say it was not a traumatic experience for the doctor and his friends, as i am sure it was.
In one of the interviews I posted the guys said that right when they were making the u-turn they were ambushed by the Haitians. If you are riding a motorcycle and right when you start to make the u-turn you are surrounded by machete wielding men screaming at you in a language you don´t understand and literally dragging you off the motorcycles, there´s no way to “fukc off back the way i came.” Instead you will think what the guys thought, you´re living your final moments with all your basic rights in full violation.

By the time they were kidnapped there was another group of Dominicans that had been kidnapped two hours before.

What truly made the guys uncomfortable of the whole experience is the apathy of the Dominican military guards. Notice that Juan Anico was able to approach one of the Dominican guards and instead of the guard grabbing him and taking him to a safe spot with shotgun on hand, all the guard said was that he could do absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

Asan

Apr 4, 2018
The way the soldiers see it is they dont get paid enough to risk their lives, so they play dumb and live to get paid another day. There needs to be a reform on how much they get paid and proper training, to break this cycle of buscandomelo (hustle).

Asan

Apr 4, 2018
The way the soldiers see it is they dont get paid enough to risk their lives, so they play dumb and live to get paid another day. There needs to be a reform on how much they get paid and proper training, to break this cycle of buscandomelo (hustle). Problem is all the money is stolen by the funcionarios

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We heard a radio interview where the Defense Minister said the soldiers did their job well because nobody got hurt.

Right.

Kinda a reverse "no es mi culpa."

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
We heard a radio interview where the Defense Minister said the soldiers did their job well because nobody got hurt.

Right.

And da.mn right he is.

If any " hostages" had been hurt, dr1ers, amongst others, would have been all over him and the soldiers.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Right.

That make a lot Dominicans disappointed about it, not very good signal. That make me think that we are already sold to who knows and they dont tell us.

Yacine

Oct 23, 2005
Anyone heard or confirmed they had the formal permit to take that road that is sometimes in Haiti sometimes DR?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Right.

Dr Ureña responded very sarcastically in his Twitter account by saying that if the guards did their job, they should be given a medal of honor for their bravery. lol

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here it is, straight for the source.

[video=youtube;hD02UFEzzsY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD02UFEzzsY[/video]

The US Ambassador was also asked something and she responded about the cross-border travel restrictions that she put in place for U.S. government employees in the DR due to the border incident.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Im wondering what would happend if Dominican do that to Haitians, just right now would be a very big coverage of international media telling we are Nazis
True! It would be EVERYWHERE, and this thread would have double the posts. lol

Yacine

Oct 23, 2005
AFAK the travel restriction was posted previous to this incident, and due to tomorrow demonstrations. sorry but 50 people demonstrating because a motorbike seized by Dominican military in a hill lost in the central border is not the reason for that, but one million people expect to protest PetroKaribe corruption scandal tomorrow sunday 18th, and a very tense and armed gangs messing all around port au prince is.

Here it is, straight for the source.

The US Ambassador was also asked something and she responded about the cross-border travel restrictions that she put in place for U.S. government employees in the DR due to the border incident.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
pay good money and get good security ,,,,, earth to Dr members... pay poco dinero and you get juan valez from the retirement home in Villa mella

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I was watching a report that said the problem in that part is the road is half Haiti and half Dominican, if you go to the west side of the road you are in Haiti and if you are in the east side of the road you are in Dominican, so soldiers can act if they see a Dominican being hurt in the road as they was not in the east side out of the road they couldnt do nothing. So the best thing that Dominican can do is DO NOT GO THERE.

Also there is not Haitian Police in the Haitian side, and if something happend to Haitians then will be fault of the racsit Dominicans for sure. so DO NOT GO THERE if you are Dominican, if you are from USA you can go because that why they could get out easy beacause they though they was Americans from USA.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This ordeal reminds me of Mr Chazotte´s eyewitness account of the massacres in Jeremie in March 1804. His life was saved because he had an American passport, which despite his non-English last name saved his life. Dessalines himself ordered his life spared due to his American citizenship. One French guy was saved due to his last name (Sauve or something like that). Dessalines decided that based on his last name, which means the saved, he must be saved. Then a handful of doctors were saved due to the use the Haitian army could get from their medical knowledge. The rest of the white men of the town and surrounding countryside were all massacred during a period of a few nights, most in the main plaza of the town which today is the park across from the main Catholic church.

Time passes and some things never change. Haitians have been respecting American lives for over 200 years.

Mr Chazotte was able to move to the USA and became a close friend of Thomas Jefferson. He is buried in a cemetery I think in Elizabeth or in Hoboken, New Jersey; can´t remember. When I first became aware of who he was, I made a little research and discovered many people in the NY metro area with Chazotte´s last name. Perhaps most, if not all, are descendants of him. People alive today because 200-something years ago Dessalines decided to not kill him due to his American citizenship.