Carnival Cruise Lines - Port in Maimon

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
the port area will be the revenue capture zone. the money stays in that area. start with the fact that Carnival's partner gets the duty free concessions, which rake in nearly 50% of the spend, to start with. Carnival will build the restaurants and gift shops, and lease them to locals. they will get a substantial kickback from this. they will instruct the visitors where to shop, and which tours to take. of course, they will get their cut from those operators. this is the Carnival show, people.

I love the smell of Capitalism in the morning...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I guess carnival doesn't really know what they are doing , they probably got lucky with their other ports ! they should have contacted you people before getting in over their heads.

note that everyone is saying the only one making money out of this will be carnival (as opposed to POP profiting from this). if there is any cream the carnival will lap it all up and locals will be stiffed.

however, since we are on the subject... cruise ships were coming to POP many years ago and this arrangement was f**ked by sindicalistas de transporte. hmmmm... past experiences are not great here, are they?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
They are building 16 acres for transportation out of the port, I kind of doubt this would be done and then try to keep everybody in the port. They know the destination needs to succeed, this is not only the port area but the town and the excursions too. Since the Dominican Republic and especially the North coast will be the first visit for many of these passengers, they expect a really high excursion rate, compared to other destinations. I can tell you from meetings with the executives, they are excited about the destination and their plan is not to keep the people in the port. Of course they want them shopping there before and after people take an excursion, but they are not building 6 lane carriage ways and parking for dozens of busses, hundreds of taxis and rentals cars, just so they will not be used. If you don't think this will be boost for the local economy, via hundreds of direct and indirect jobs, just ask the people of Grand Turk what the port has done for them there. They didn't realize the benefits until Carnival had to shut down the port for four weeks recently, when taxi drivers stopped getting hair cuts, boat captains stopped frequenting bars, etc.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
for all the naggers (negative people) out there do you have any idea of the amount of money that has already been invested by this company just to plant the huge pilars for the docks, land purchases, permits, bribes etc. ?

how can anyone with a little bit of brain still doubt about this development happening.
the best comment so far was to call the obvious aerial pictue an artist impression, that one really made me laugh loool, spend the 500 peso on gas from sosua and go look at it by yourself if you dont belive it, you can also take a carro publico if you dont have the 500.

the last thing i heard was that they where removing some rocks with explosives to deepen the channel, do you really think building first and then play around with explosives improves the quality of the buildings ?
i would assume that all the channels and docks will be finished first, then the actual construction will be made.

from what i have seen from the plans there will be a huge pool with some facilities, office buildings, mall etc, no high tech 7 floor skyscrapers. if they start now, withing 6 months everything can be done.

im sure these people know EXACTLY what they are doing, and they are not waiting for you beachbums to tell them how its done lol

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
They are finishing the marina construction first, before starting the land side buildings and facilities.

The port facilities will have a pool/bar/restaurant, a "village walk" type area for shopping, a restaurant on top of the hill, and extensive parking/loading areas for busses and taxis.

May 5, 2007
I know little about economics of cruise industry (Other than cost as a passenger and tours from that perspective) but what Is the alternative? A lot of negative comments but what has this project cost the DR and people? Isn?t something better than nothing I do realize Carnival Is not doing this for benefit of North Coast but possibly a little money will dribble into local economy

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know little about economics of cruise industry (Other than cost as a passenger and tours from that perspective) but what Is the alternative? A lot of negative comments but what has this project cost the DR and people? Isn’t something better than nothing I do realize Carnival Is not doing this for benefit of North Coast but possibly a little money will dribble into local economy

the good thing about Maimon is that the DR government has no financial stake in the thing, unlike the port of Falmouth in Jamaica, which cost the government there somewhere around 167 million. the bad thing is the Golden Rule; the money talks. so, Carnival can just about run the show as it feels like, in terms of who gets what, and how much.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Who or what is being exploited?

do you have any idea how much environmental damage is done to the coastline of a country where cruise ships dock? any idea how many tons of coral have to be uprooted to provide sufficient draught for the ships to enter the harbor? what about all the pollutants that the ships disgorge in the vicinity of the harbors? if there is a toxic spill from the ships, the host countries usually end up paying to clean it up. some of the paints have toxicity levels which are harmful to marine life. i will not go into the exhaustive list of the externalities, but i can link you to seminal works on the harm cruise ships do to shorelines. unless you are getting a hefty return from such activities, you are being exploited.

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
I guess carnival doesn't really know what they are doing , they probably got lucky with their other ports ! they should have contacted you people before getting in over their heads.

Well well said Mofongo. I have noticed there is a certain type of posters on this site that has a self hate relationship with the D.R. The best comparison is when you have a guy dating and loving a real fat woman and torturing himself for being in that position. These posters are probably bitter as they did not have enough money to settle down on a premium island so they spew their ignorance and rhetoric. Don't take it out on the rest of us because you are poor.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
do you have any idea how much environmental damage is done to the coastline of a country where cruise ships dock? any idea how many tons of coral have to be uprooted to provide sufficient draught for the ships to enter the harbor? what about all the pollutants that the ships disgorge in the vicinity of the harbors? if there is a toxic spill from the ships, the host countries usually end up paying to clean it up. some of the paints have toxicity levels which are harmful to marine life. i will not go into the exhaustive list of the externalities, but i can link you to seminal works on the harm cruise ships do to shorelines. unless you are getting a hefty return from such activities, you are being exploited.

For starters, the article you found is almost 20 years old. Things have changed.

Tell us how many tons of coral have been uprooted. What if they wanted to bring in cargo ships at Maimon? Do you personally use anything that arrives in the DR on a ship? Or travels on a ship anywhere before it gets to you? If you do, aren't you part of this big problem? What toxic spill? What pollutants? What toxic paint?

But yet if the gov't is getting a big enough check, all of the above is ok???

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think what the poor, negative and nasty posters like myself are arguing here is what benefit is this port going to bring to the general population, especially in POP. somehow i struggle to believe it will generate thousands of job openings and will raise novia del atlantico from its grave. carnival is not a charity, their first priority is a profit to the company rather than to the local community.

in any case, we shall see in the future. no need to get your expensive knickers in a twist.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i think what the poor, negative and nasty posters like myself are arguing here is what benefit is this port going to bring to the general population, especially in POP. somehow i struggle to believe it will generate thousands of job openings and will raise novia del atlantico from its grave. carnival is not a charity, their first priority is a profit to the company rather than to the local community.

in any case, we shall see in the future. no need to get your expensive knickers in a twist.

ask the guys in Falmouth, Jamaica, if they are seeing any benefits, after the government spent 167 million on infrastructure. ask the Haitians how much they are getting from Labadee.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net

I snorkeled and spear-fished that area many times before they started dredging, there was nothing there worth saving. Any type of pollution from the ships will dwarf whats coming in from the garbage dump nearby. I wish some people were upset about that, we sometimes have toxic smoke drifting over to Cofresi and it stings our eyes. Modern ships have exinirators (sp?) for garbage and they have to abide by strict regulations on their use. Anyway, if you can't see that this port will have more positive benefits than negative, then you need to change your glasses.

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013

My comments were not aimed at you at all dv8. I have nothing but respect for you. :classic::classic::classic::classic::classic::classic: You have every right to wonder what benefit the cruise port will bring to the general population. But you answered your own questions by saying " their first priority is a profit to the company rather than to the local community." There will be minimal benefit to the general community but the majority of the profits as you know will be kept by the cruise lines and the business on the island that they have their hands in.

On another note their will be significant tax, license and fee revenue collected by the Dominican government. And don't forget all that bribe money they have already received to grease the wheel!!!! So someone in the community has already benefited :bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:!!!

May 5, 2007
I was on one cruise in my life 30 years ago. We watched as the guy from the kitchen at 10:00 PM threw 3 bags of trash into the ocean. I asked the burser if this was standard procedure and he called me a liar to my face. Said they do not throw trash over board. So the next night We were on the same deck at the same time and saw the same thing happen. We asked the one throwing the trash and he did the "No speak English." thing.
Don't have any idea if all cruise ships do that or did once do that. BUt it is out of line.
Der Fish

Kind of odd. What does three bags mean compared to the amount of trash that ships generates daily? Maybe it was a special trash dumping demonstration? I wonder when they “threw over” the other 2-300 or so bags?