Casa Benita or Coral Sol?

Feb 15, 2005
Hotel Maria Montez is not much different than Gran Hotel Barahona which you mentioned. I only added Maria Montez because it has a full restaurant and a family traveling on a budget can save some money. Dona Gladys, the owner, will try to accommodate a family in a room if she has to.

Other than that, your reviews are very good. Do you have a website? I have one, castillosdelcaribe.com which is dedicated to Barahona.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
More on Pedernales

For any people who like to go Southwest, we are here to help you. Tourist Service like Hotelreservation or Reservation for Excursions is for FREE!

People who like to stay in Barahona and enjoy the evening life on the Malecon we can recommend this Hotels:
Hotel Caribe (~860 RDS Single room incl breakfast)
Hotel Gran Barahona (~1000 RDS; little noisy during weekends, La Casita is the hot spot)
Hotel Gazique (~650 RDS, low standard, but clean and economic)
Hotel Costa Larimar (~2000 RDS Double room, AI package available but not recommended here)

To stay a bit outside from Barahona and enjoy more the seaviev and nature:
Hotel Playazul
Hotel Casablanca
Hotel El Quemaito (new owners, complete remodelated and soon best standards (Sauna, Jacuzzi, Gym, huge Pool...)
Casa Bonita (most exclusive Hotel right now; will be a very nice romantic hotel in San Rafael very soon)

To stay around Los Patos, we will recommend
Villa Morinda (Pool, Poolbar, dominican Food Restaurant) in Ojeda
Oasi Italiano (Los Patos)

For people who go to Pedernales, please stay in
Villas del Mar

For those who like to be independent, since June 2008 Barahona has also a rent a car station.

People who like to have photos from Hotels / Areas / Exkursions may ask me via PN

Great info but why only the Villas del Mar in Pedernales? Yes, they do have a pool and the rooms are clean but when I was there, there was no food at all. They had contracted with some locals to do catering but I made the mistake of inviting friends over for dinner and was served the absolutely worst fish dinner I ever had in my four years here. It was embarrassing, really. That was two years ago - maybe things are better now? Otherwise, it is a long walk for the morning cup of coffee.

So, since I enjoy swimming in the ocean, I usually stay either at Dona Chava or D'Oleo Mendez. D'Oleo Mendez has one of the best restaurants in town.

Be aware that Pedernales only has about 50 hotel rooms available and they are usually booked solid every weekend so be sure to call in advance.