Casa Marina Beach/Reef

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Just got back Monday morning, and the weather was just great. We booked at the beach club and they gave us a room at the reef, it is supposed to be more expensive at the reef so it was a little bonus. The room was nothing spectacular, but all we cared was that the toilet and shower were working properly and they were. Our room was close to just about everything including the water cooler. We brushed our teeth with tap water and rinse with the potable water with no side effect so far.

There was 3 pools and 3 jaccuzi, in wich we spent most of our time in the latter. Beach towells were suplied in the room and we used them to mark our spot early in the morning, if you wait to long, you might not get a chair after breakfast, it seems that there was not enough chairs for everyone, so we did like everybody else and marked our chairs, with the risk of getting your towells stolen while having lunch. Well it did happen to us, and it cost us US15.00 per towells. I would strongly recommend that you pack your owns cheap towells and leave the supplied towels in your room.

There was also two buffet and 3 a la carte restaurant on site. We did not booked any a la carte as we did not want to be on a schedule and the buffet restaurants had all kind of good stuff to satisfy the most difficult person and I am one of them, I hate like a pig all week long on my own schedule. Breakfast was between 7 am to 10:30 am, lunch was between 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm and dinner was between 6:30 pm to 10:30 pm, so it was flexible to anyone schedule. And if you missed lunch, there was a snack area located at the Jalepino restaurant with all kinds of stuff to snack on, including pizza, chicken wings, fries, all sorts of fruits, salads so there is no way someone will starve at the resort.

There was also several bars, all well placed around the resort, so there was always a bar close by anywhere you might be on the resort. The only thing missing was a sitting bar.

The gift shop at the resort was better the expected as far as prices are concern, for someone that do not want to venture out of the resort. Cigarettes were 59 pesos for a single pack of Nacional to 525 pesos for a carton. In town it was 50 pesos for a pack and 464 for a carton. There was all kind of stuff also if you do not want to go shop in town.

Of course we like to go out of the resort, this is why we booked in Sosua again. We did a pub crawl of our own on Monday, actually we left the resort at 11 am and did not come back till around 8 pm, we had a blast and watched the Canadian woman hockey team win the gold medal from the Brittania pub, nicely renovated by the way.

The wife Carol has a friend that she used to hang out with while in high school, that owns the Checkpoint pub and we spent quite a bit of time there, it seems that it was the only place busy in the middle of the afternoon, they have fantastic burgers. We also brought them clamato juice bottles for their ceasars, old glasses and stuff for the Sosua kids. If anyone has anything they don't use anymore, bring it over to Mark and Collen of Checkpoint, they will make sure it gets distributed accordingly.

In front of the resort, there is a baseball field, and the kids are using stick for baseball bats, there was only a few real bats and on our next trip, will pack some equipment for the kids, bats, gloves and balls.

Anyway, back on the resort, I would recommend it to anyone, hell we even ran into a couple that lives 3 block from us, and a gentleman that lives in Santiago, that use to work with Carols Brother in law 30 years ago in Simcoe Ontario. Small world indeed.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself at Casa Marina. That is my favorite resort. I love the location, the staff, the jacuzzis are the best!!!!!!

So now they supply beach towels in the rooms? When we were there last December, we were supplied with towel cards, which we had to present at the "towel pickup" and then return them to get our cards back and when we left the cards had to be returned to the front desk. So they don't do that anymore?

How were the shows? Did the audience participate? When I was there they had a hard time getting people to go on stage after the shows?

We are planning to go back in June. I can't wait.

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
beach towels

Beach towels were supplied in the rooms, becaused we booked with Sunwing, and they had a vip deal in wich included the towels in the room upon arrival. The deal included also a welcome drink, except it is all inclusive so, we got welcome drinks all week long lol.

The shows were not that great, went to the first 3 and it was mostly dancing. I got on stage on the second night, and they made me do all kind of stupid stuff, the wife was in tears laughing. The rest of the week we did not bother to go, it was not that great as far as entertaining. But I must admit, there was a couple of chubby guys on the show and it was funny just watching them dance.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
We booked with Sunwing also last Dec. We got the free drink as well(lol), but not the towels, you also get a 12% discount on jewellry at Harrisons if you mention Sunwing. I thnk there is some kind of conspiracy with these towels ,you would think that it would be okay to leave one on a chair, but next thing you know, it's gone and you are out $15. We usually go early and one person will save the seats. I try to take small things, like school supplies and stuff, but I think that next time we will take some baseball equipment, we have some left over from little league. It's nice to see the kids play baseball across from the resort. 90 more days for us .

Sosua Gal

Jul 7, 2005
checkpointsosua.spaces.live.com
Hey Bert- it was great to meet you and Carol and what a blast from the past for Mark! It's kind of cool that you stumbled across us doing Sosua research- the world is getting smaller, I think, because of the internet.
Anyway, make sure to keep in touch, ok? It was fun metting you and hanging out.
Say hello to Carol and e-mail us soon!
Colleen

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Will do

Sosua Gal said:
Hey Bert- it was great to meet you and Carol and what a blast from the past for Mark! It's kind of cool that you stumbled across us doing Sosua research- the world is getting smaller, I think, because of the internet.
Anyway, make sure to keep in touch, ok? It was fun metting you and hanging out.
Say hello to Carol and e-mail us soon!
Colleen

It was great, Thanks again and yes, we will keep in touch.