Cash crunch takes Santo Domingo?s subway to the abyss

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Maintenance was always "the something" I was concerned about for a system like the Metro in the DR. The country has so much of the mentality of "Oh well, It used to work.", that I will be surprised if they overcome it even for the Metro. Is this just the beginning of maintenance issues that will continue to plague that system as funds are diverted into politicians pockets? Time will tell.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Maintenance was always "the something" I was concerned about for a system like the Metro in the DR. The country has so much of the mentality of "Oh well, It used to work.", that I will be surprised if they overcome it even for the Metro. Is this just the beginning of maintenance issues that will continue to plague that system as funds are diverted into politicians pockets? Time will tell.

Hmmm... Not!

This is about a change of administrations with a deal in the books for which the gov is trying to slow the fund's before it signs anything. The Metro Line maintenance is spotless, more so for services.

All that's happening is the usual use of media by the head administrators to see their budgets provided faster than usual it would be (about 90 days after the bills are due is the norm for most ministries) from the gov.

The Metro can't be handled the usual way as the above MO by the gov, it's a system that's not so good on running behind its budget. This new administration needs to place the budget as it was before, on-time, so it can function as it has been doing since it entered operations.

As far as subsidy, the Metro's subsidy from the state has been reduced ever so much, as the revenues are sent to the gov and all the gov does in reality is add the difference to complete the budget from those funds. Keep in mind that the revenues the Metro sends back to the gov, are used by the gov as short term money stock for other ministries and not properly allocated back to the Metro first hand.

When Line 2 enters operations, the revenues will more than cover the whole system's operations and create capital returns, which SHOULD be made available back to expand the system further.

This is on the shadows of having the Metro system linked to a renewable local supplied power grid, which will further cut the need for foreign currency to cover the power tab of the Metro operations.

Danilo is not Leonel, but neither is him free from the master plan that's backed from the party base that supports Medina's administration. He can be late, but the end result will continue to be the master plan as laid out under Leonel, until his return to power in 4 years...

Danilo has 4 years to win the hearts and minds of the Dominican citizens, gain as much popularity and charisma as he can. Once Leonel returns in 4 years to power, Danilo must retain that support to come back in 2020-24, with another round of Leonel for the 2024-28 (possible Mama).

This is laid out for the master plan to bring mass transit to the DR to a new level, all under a single plan set to be a multi-administration effort. Danilo is just the captain of turn in the ship, but the crew is set already to a beat.

The Metro of Santiago is also due to start by 2016...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I wonder how much what he is smoking costs????

the 650 million produced by revenues is not half of what it costs to maintain that system ...How on earth can Pichardo even thing that Metro 2 will "improve" the situation???

All it will do by 2016 is reduce the value of the peso to 50 or 60 to one and then what will their argument be against the PRD>>>

Of course with 1/3 the electorate on the dole, why not? They are not paying for anything.

But what is going to happen. Capital will leave, and even worse, human capital will leave and they can go back to being the Third World country that they are mentally...

144 out of 144...the worst in the world....and few if anyone takes notice...

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That's how thing "GO", or in most cases, "Don't "GO" in the DR!
Seen it MANY times over the last 25 years.
They buy 400 busses from Brazil, get the "Kick Back" from the money spent, and the busses turn to junk in a couple of years, so they buy more.
The transportation union gets busses, and cars, that they are supposed to, but NEVER do, pay back the gov. for.
The "POOR" get free apartments, then sell them to people who can actually afford to live in them.
Huge hospitals are built, equiped, but never open, and the equipment "disappers" into private clinics.
NOTHING is EVER maintained, yet more of the same is bought or built.
There is no "Free Money" in maintaining ANYTHING, only in building,or buying,NEW STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dec 26, 2011
they can go back to being the Third World country that they are mentally...

144 out of 144...the worst in the world....and few if anyone takes notice...

What is this mindset to be attributed to? Why can't they seem to shake it? Is it fatalism? I think so. But who knows?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
That's how thing "GO", or in most cases, "Don't "GO" in the DR!
Seen it MANY times over the last 25 years.
They buy 400 busses from Brazil, get the "Kick Back" from the money spent, and the busses turn to junk in a couple of years, so they buy more.
The transportation union gets busses, and cars, that they are supposed to, but NEVER do, pay back the gov. for.
The "POOR" get free apartments, then sell them to people who can actually afford to live in them.
Huge hospitals are built, equiped, but never open, and the equipment "disappers" into private clinics.
[B]NOTHING is EVER maintained[/B], yet more of the same is bought or built.
There is no "Free Money" in maintaining ANYTHING, only in building,or buying,NEW STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I agree with all and a little more.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
What is this mindset to be attributed to? Why can't they seem to shake it? Is it fatalism? I think so. But who knows?

I, as anybody else, can only guess. There is some fatalism in it (esto se jodio, aqui nada va a servir nunca, etc), but I think the main reason is that the concept of collectivity is almost non-existant, you know, the greater good and all that. Most people are kind and helpful, yes, but as long it doesn't imply sacrifice. Most people want good things for the country, but never before better things for themselves are secured. Much of this comes from poverty, some comes from being a tropical country (weather does influence people, believe it), some comes from the lack of a leader who could impose that collective way of thinking. Of course, I won't try to explain this country in one paragraph, these are just loose thoughts at best...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Same as it ever was:

Hmmm... Not!

This is about a change of administrations with a deal in the books for which the gov is trying to slow the fund's before it signs anything. The Metro Line maintenance is spotless, more so for services.

Spotless except for some leaking stations and cars where the air conditioning isn't working. I get it. Good enough for the DR.

All that's happening is the usual use of media by the head administrators to see their budgets provided faster than usual it would be (about 90 days after the bills are due is the norm for most ministries) from the gov.

OK. That is likely to be part of the story.

The Metro can't be handled the usual way as the above MO by the gov, it's a system that's not so good on running behind its budget. This new administration needs to place the budget as it was before, on-time, so it can function as it has been doing since it entered operations.

And the Metro is going to change how corrupt government officials think just because the Metro exists? Give me a break on that one.

As far as subsidy, the Metro's subsidy from the state has been reduced ever so much, as the revenues are sent to the gov and all the gov does in reality is add the difference to complete the budget from those funds. Keep in mind that the revenues the Metro sends back to the gov, are used by the gov as short term money stock for other ministries and not properly allocated back to the Metro first hand.

I see, corruption.

When Line 2 enters operations, the revenues will more than cover the whole system's operations and create capital returns, which SHOULD be made available back to expand the system further.

Wow. Dreaming in Technicolor.

This is on the shadows of having the Metro system linked to a renewable local supplied power grid, which will further cut the need for foreign currency to cover the power tab of the Metro operations.

Danilo is not Leonel, but neither is him free from the master plan that's backed from the party base that supports Medina's administration. He can be late, but the end result will continue to be the master plan as laid out under Leonel, until his return to power in 4 years...

One cannot wait. Tell him to fix the electricity sector as well as eduction when he returns.

Danilo has 4 years to win the hearts and minds of the Dominican citizens, gain as much popularity and charisma as he can. Once Leonel returns in 4 years to power, Danilo must retain that support to come back in 2020-24, with another round of Leonel for the 2024-28 (possible Mama).

This is laid out for the master plan to bring mass transit to the DR to a new level, all under a single plan set to be a multi-administration effort. Danilo is just the captain of turn in the ship, but the crew is set already to a beat.

I say the beat goes on, Same as it ever was, Same as it ever was. ..

The Metro of Santiago is also due to start by 2016...

Yippee. More Jeepetas!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Time for a musical interlude

Once in a lifetime -- You may find yourself in another part of the world, same as it ever was, Water flowing underground, same as it ever was, You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile. Same as it ever was:

[video=youtube;I1wg1DNHbNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU[/video]