Cash or Credit

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Cash for everydaystuff,small notes and loose change.

Debit card, european for monthly trip to supermarket. I dont quite grasp difference creditcard/debit card......

When I need to pay several thousand pesos worth of stuff ie car insurance, buy batteries, install regulator, change car tires....... I send myself cash from europe, it arrives in pesos often with a better rate than here , delieverd to the house and, they charge only 5chf by transaction up to 5000chf. Downside is u need someone back home to send it, thankfully my parents and brother will do it for me.

Apr 13, 2011
Use cash - take out with ATM with debit card as needed - only use ATM that is attached to a real bank.
Make sure you tell your bank ahead of time that you will travelling in the DR and using your card for withdrawals or they may put a Hold on the card.

shunch

Nov 21, 2012
We mainly use debit. CC at large chain grocery stores. Definitely let your bank know you will be out of country. This happened to me about 4 years ago. I had to call my bank outside a business. They immediately let me access money but felt like an idiot.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Where in Puerto Plata can I cash a cheque from myself to get cash on hand.??? Debit card is not working now.
What ID do I need ? Passport enough ? Thanks in advance.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Where in Puerto Plata can I cash a cheque from myself to get cash on hand.??? Debit card is not working now.

Unless you have an account @ a bank or a relationship with a cambista, your check will be held for 7-10 days.

May 29, 2006

You might be able to use the Debit card at a bank with your passport. Call the 800 number on the back of your card to check to see if there is a block on it.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I use cash for 99% of purchases: have a local drop USD bank account, and withdraw USD / convert to DOP as needed. Using $10K size for wire-ins and $50 for wire fees on both ends, the $ loss is about 0.5% which tends to be better than when using ATMs or credit cards.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Withdraw money from an ATM. Be sure to inform your bank that you are going to the DR and will be using the card there. This is sometimes a security issue for banks in the US or Canada. If you use your credit card at restaurants most will charge you a high fee. Good luck

LTSteve

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I imagine this question has been asked and answered on dr1 before...Please indulge another go-around. Can you open a local scotiabank or whatever account as a tourist without residency/cedula? All I want is a ATM card. disappointed to learn in another thread that Bancopopular is a name only relationship.

Define extended?

Open a bank account, deposit the US$, use a local debit and credit card.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mofongo... answer is "Yes" , been asked before and "Yes" it can be done.... bring a letter of recommendation from your bank, passport and cash to deposit

Be prepared to try a few banks... not all application processes are the same - some easier than others

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Thank you.

Mofongo... answer is "Yes" , been asked before and "Yes" it can be done.... bring a letter of recommendation from your bank, passport and cash to deposit

Be prepared to try a few banks... not all application processes are the same - some easier than others

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
For day to day living expenses on an extended stay in the the DR how do you find it best to pay for everything.
Credit cards or taking cash out of ATMs/cashing checks at cambios.
I would think credit cards with incur more fees.
Opinions?
You might want to try the Search function, as this topic has been covered in nauseating redundancy.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
This is like drinking, then go driving...If here for a while, better to use a US Bank, take cash as needed in case your robbed..Its a catch 22 really, both has their fare share of fees, but I would think CC'S have much more...My US Bank charges me 2.50 US per transaction, the DR hits me with between 120 - 200 pesos for each, total of about 6.00 US bucks per transaction..However, you can also cash advance at Popular with a Passport ID...Truly cannot recall the fee, but it was nothing because I would remember. I also tried other Banks, Bank Of Leon, and Reserves, they did not offer such services, but this was back in 2009. I did quite a few transactions with Popular in the Quisqueya mall strip, but not since moving to POP..

So, those two options work out pretty well if you're wanting to use cash..Also, since my card has been compromised 5 times in 7 Years, just be careful about skimmers on ATM machines, that's how they got my info..Before you use one, check for any exposed wires where you put your card in and make sure its not loose..If so, go to another!

Anthony

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Yup, I think Popular is the best of Banks here so far.And they always have at least one person that speak Engish upon request..

Scotia Bank took us FOREVER to open an account!
Worst experience moving here was opening up a bank account!
Good luck!