"Category 6 Hurricane"?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It will have a short term impact on our tourism here. Last minute specials may go unfilled from the USA. Often times people don't think ahead or plan ahead. They just see a great special in the newspaper and it's oh we should go............ Now that won't happen as frequently until people get their passports in order. Well they won't be able to come here, instead how about Hawaii or Florida where they don't need one.....

Also it will effect Canadians flying thru the USA. They will have to have a passport as well.

I think most of the complaints I have heard are regarding the unfairness of this rule not being applied to all forms of transportation. Why not? Why an advantage to some forms and not others? The argument that airports are better set up - well all the more reason to implement where it is NOT set up. Seems they have a higher security risk.
How will it affect Canucks? It applies to US Citizens/residents.

I would speculate that there is a very active effort to get ports and border crossing points properly set up. Everyone knows those are vulnerable. But that does not mean it should not be implemented in airports where tight security already exists.

There is 3 months before implementation takes place. Other than sloth, I don't see any reason why folks wanting to travel after 1/7/07 shouldn't have their passport by then.

I'll tell you who I think it affects most: folks in the US who have overstayed their visa or had no visa. If they leave, they can't come back. Sneaking through Immigration/Customs with bogus documents (BC/DL) easily obtainable will become VERY difficult to do. These folks don't take cruise ships or drive to the Carribean/SA/CA anyway.

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
It will have a short term impact on our tourism here. Last minute specials may go unfilled from the USA. Often times people don't think ahead or plan ahead. They just see a great special in the newspaper and it's oh we should go............ Now that won't happen as frequently until people get their passports in order. Well they won't be able to come here, instead how about Hawaii or Florida where they don't need one.....

Also it will effect Canadians flying thru the USA. They will have to have a passport as well.

I think most of the complaints I have heard are regarding the unfairness of this rule not being applied to all forms of transportation. Why not? Why an advantage to some forms and not others? The argument that airports are better set up - well all the more reason to implement where it is NOT set up. Seems they have a higher security risk.

Planner;

I must disagree that this rule is "unfair" to the occasional traveller. Moreover, I fully support this method as representing the proof that the travellers are, in fact, bonafide citizens/residents of the country which they profess to be coming from or re-entering. it is but an extension of the safeguards being implimented to further safeguard the US from "sneakers" into the society.
I have apertinent question,,,If a stranger showed up at your door requesting entry, would you invite him/her in, or would you demand proper identity before doing so? The same rule applies on a National scale, so where is the REAL gripe. Are yor Rights being violated, or, are the circumstances merely an individual inconvenience who hasn't taken the time to acquire proper identifying travel papers??
The main source of travel, at present, is that of "Air"; the travel by land andby sea will be forthcoming, I'm sure. Be patient.

Texas Bill

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Texas Bill I think you are failing to understand what Planner is trying to convey.

Why should a person that attempts to FLY into the US be required to fulfill a requirement that a person driving, walking or sailing into the US doesn't.

The question I find strange is why have these people that are walking, driving and sailing into the US gotten a two year extension on the requirement to have a passport? Travel is travel be it by car, ship, plane or walking. Why should a traveler by other than plane be allowed more freedoms then by plane? With that mentality then I assume that the US has determined that illegals only enter by plane to the US.

Unless there was a special consideration done by congress for someone or something I don't see how the requirement for having a passport till Jan 2009 was allowed for all means of travel into the US except by plane.

Rick

A law is a law and should be applied across the board.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Rick, Et Al;

I'm not defending the decision, but can understand the intent of this new ruling.
In the past, terrorists have entered the US exclusiely by air. That avenue is attempting to be closed by this measure, I think> Not sure, but logic would point to that.
While, at present, there are fewer travelers coming into the US by auto, walking and by water, I would assume that is not immediately seen as a threat source, since a majority are "round trippers", and I refer to water travelers here.
Exactly what the logic is behind this exclusion to methods of travel other than byair, I really couldn't say.
I agree it seems to be some sort of descrimination in excluding those methods and THAT, I agree, isn't fair. Who knows what the bureaucrats minds have concocted here. I certainly don't know.

Texas Bill

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I can see where so people who live in the DR may be affected. I have a friend who lives here and flies to PR. every couple months to avoid the res. visa. I guess he'll have to go to the States for a while till he gets his passport. Oh well.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Texas Bill I think you are failing to understand what Planner is trying to convey.

Why should a person that attempts to FLY into the US be required to fulfill a requirement that a person driving, walking or sailing into the US doesn't.

The question I find strange is why have these people that are walking, driving and sailing into the US gotten a two year extension on the requirement to have a passport? Travel is travel be it by car, ship, plane or walking. Why should a traveler by other than plane be allowed more freedoms then by plane? With that mentality then I assume that the US has determined that illegals only enter by plane to the US.

Unless there was a special consideration done by congress for someone or something I don't see how the requirement for having a passport till Jan 2009 was allowed for all means of travel into the US except by plane.

Rick

A law is a law and should be applied across the board.

Actually Rick the change came due to extensive lobbing by the Border states, and Canada, as well as businesses whose goods must cross the border to get to customers. The plan to have to have passports...etc by the date proposed by congress would have cost border residents, tourism...etc on both sides of Canadian/USA Border billions. It was the shortness of time that was the main concern. Is it fair to have different rules for fliers, no, but life aint fair.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Until the late 1980s British citizens needed visas to visit the US. The requirement was lifted, and to begin with only applied to people coming in on flights.

Overland travellers (don't know about passengers on ships) still needed visas, as I found to my cost, while travelling through Central America en route to the US. Luckily the folks in the US Embassy in Guatemala City were very sympathetic, and granted this particular pinko (especially then!) a multiple-entry, indefinite visa.

My point? I can't work out what the logic is, but there are precedents for different travel documentation requirements applying to different modes of transport.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I've never understood what the big deal is. It's not like they are asking hungry homeless people to get a passport. If you can afford to get on a plane you should be able to afford ($87 for 5 year Canadian passport). That's about $17 a year.

I think a lot of businesses close to the border on both the Canadian and US side are worried that the weekender's crossing to shop will slow down. But in the overall picture I think it's for a the best and people will get used to it.

I do not think the measure affects Canadians. Canadians will still be allowed into the Caribbean with just birth certificate and valid photo ID. Remember this is about re-entering the US, not entering the Caribbean.

This is very serious matter for the Caribbean. I remember reading that only a quarter of US travelers to this day have passports.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Very true but unless Canadians take a charter flight they will have a stop in the US.

A passport was always needed to get into Cuba which is in the Caribbean. ;)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Anna,

Do both Air Canada and Air Transat stopover in New York?

I understand these have flights to Punta Cana from all these Canadian cities.

Air Canada (Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Thunder Bay, Toronto, Winnipeg)

Air Transat (Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal, Quebec City, Saskatoon, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg)

These are supposedly regular flights, not charter.

In addition, from Punta Cana-Canada there is charter service from Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Thunder Bay, Toronto, Halifax, Hamilton, Kitchener-Waterloo, Winnepeg Kitchener/Waterloo

I don't have on hand the updated list for other airports. But I would think these are direct flights, not with stopovers in US. Please correct me if I am wrong.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Both Air Transat and Skyserice are a charters used by the tours companies. I don't think you can book directly.

Air Canada is a regular flight and does fly directly into the DR.

Canadians use AA for the cost savings but I see that Air Canada's prices aren't as bad as they used to be.

I was searching for prices if say I wanted to come to the DR for a month. AA is around 800 Cad but I can't seem to get a price for Air Canada.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
lets face it folks, it doesn't matter which airline you travel on, if the flight stops anywhere in the States you must have a valid passport in order to transit.
Fair or not, doesn't matter. Its now the Law and everyone, US Cits included must have a valid passport in order to enter the US if coming in by air, regardless of the final destination.
Eventually, this rule will apply to all manners of transportation, walking, driving, sailing, or ait travel. Just bite the bullet and get a passport. That way you'll always be legal and can travel by whichever mode suits you.

Texas Bill

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
the good business strategy is for the caribbean tourism related associations to get together and come with a comprehensive plan to facilitate the process for potential visitors and make it as seamless as possible. ..a website with 24/7 live help would be a good first step

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Aegap that would be the sensible thing for them to do.

As they failed to get the necessary lobbying done before the lastest bill was passed that extended the time frame for implementation of passport use another plan should be implemented.

Let us hope that such a plan is in the processing phase.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
With the current travel document requirements, if you can get a kid through Dominican emigration then you can get that kid in the US with no problem.

When I exited the DR with my son (1 year old) with only his US birth certificate the DR agents gave me a hard time. When I went through US custom it was easy as cake. They looked at his birth certificate and asked me for his date of birth and gave it right back. And that was it, no stamp, and no further questions.

Now I wonder how many Dominicans kids were brought to the US with their cousin's birth certificate before the DR crackdown.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
seems to me like all the US is doing is merely reciprocating DR's own policy ..

Passports needed for US air travel
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]The US State Department has announced that as of 8 January 2007, US citizens and US legal residents using air travel for re-entry to US territory will need to carry passports. This is a change in requirements for air travelers to the Caribbean, Mexico and Bermuda. The US already requires passports for travel to other parts of the world. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html [/FONT]

Doesn't DR have the same requirement for its citizens and residents?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
May give a boost to the ferry business from Santo Domingo to Puerto Rico. US citizens will still only be required to present a birth certificate and photo ID for entry into Puerto Rico for the next 2 years (sea arrival). Once into Puerto Rico they are home free.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
And then from Puerto Rico take the yola express into the US? :laugh:

Sounds like a lot of work compared to just getting a passport. ;)

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
E-mail from Viva-Wyndham Resorts today:
Viva Wyndham Resorts - 15% Off Passport Promotion
Did you know that effective January 8, 2007 all travelers going to the Caribbean are going to need to have a passport? With Viva, we offer you savings that will allow you to update your old passport for your next trip to one of our Viva Wyndham Resorts in the Bahamas, Mexico and the Dominican Republic!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Its time for Americans and Canadians to catch up with the rest of the world where the citizens have to get a passport to travel to other countries. Don't complain, you've had it good for such a long time.