Celebrities in DR? no big deal

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
I have always enjoyed the difference in celebrity in the DR compared to the US. (except when it is two women fighting over a baseball player at Ambis).

Comparing my experience while hanging out with Polonia in DR and in the US. In the DR - it was always "hey how's it going... good job on the game" and that was usually it. In the States (especially when he was playing with the Yankees) we all went out one night (some of his teammates and me and my friend) we were bombarded whereever we went, guys and girls. The women had this "I know he is a ball player" antenna on and the guys just wanted to sit and talk and talk and talk.

Jan 5, 2006
I think that you have to consider the context of these experiences.

If you put any of these guys at a corner fritura in some barrio, where most poor kids see playing baseball or being in a band as way out, I'm sure that you would have a totally different situation.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
laurapasinifan said:
because it is not life or death...it is just baseball.....when they win I win no money, when they lose I lose no money.....but I always WANT my team to win......and thats where it ends....I actually rooted for the SOX to win the year they did, because I had the feeling, "hey let them win one, get the monkey off their back and maybe the red sock fans will lighten up a little"

hopefully it works......

if you had a daughter who came in second in the miss universe paegent

would you berate her?

no you would be THRILLED for your self and her....you would look at it like a HUGE victory...second out of all the countries!......not damm she didnt win!

same goes for the yanks in my book....hey they did good they were in the playoffs

bob

I agree with you Bob!!! :classic:

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
I feel that DR is not as obsessed with celebrities like Americans. Dominicans feel that they are regular people just like everyone else. They don't waste their time photographing a celebrity who just urinated behind a tree. People are entitled to their privacy and they have more important things to focus on.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
My experience with celebrities in the DR is that most people don't want to bother them and would rather leave them alone, which is quite considerate. However, and I've seen this numerous times with some of my friends that are doing well financially speaking, is that "they're not that important, who gives a sh!t about 'fulanito de tal' and his cars, they are scandalous, etc, etc......." y'all catch my drift? Sometimes it's a social strata thing for some people. I don't give a flying fudge about that. Personally, after working in Antena Latina, I got used to them and would approach them as I would a normal person, with respect. Just my experience....

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
suarezn said:
The main reason why Dominicans don't go wild for celebrities is that they don't want to be called "Lava Sacos"...

Damn, I didn't see this one. Took the words right outta my mouth....