Cell Phone Use in DR

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I got it...

DAKRA, From my experience being T-mobile customer few years back, all T-mobile (USA) phones come in LOCKED.

Just call T-mobile and ask them for unlock code. I have heard if you have been using the srevice for at least 3 months they will give you the unlock code.

As a last recourse any good store "reparacion y venta de celulares" will unlock it for you. RAZR phones as well as all new Motorola phones are not easy to unlock, so it will cost at least 1000 pesos. Better try to get the unlock code from T-mobile.

You can also check Remote Unlocking Codes for Motorola Razr-V3 Mobile Phones - Unlocking Phoneand
Motorola V3 Razr Unlock: Motorola V3 Unlock Codes

(don't know the sites, I just googled remote razr unlock)

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!

Your info is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I just called T-Mobile and they provided me with the answers that I needed. Basically, the just unlocked my exisiting phone for me at no charge. They told me that when I arrive in DR, to find a cell phone store and buy a sim card and minutes...... Insert the new card and make my calls...... upon returning to the USA, just re-insert my t-mobile card and I am back online!!

Wooo Hooo.. Thanks again for your info.

DAKRA
:chinese:

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Just a reminder!

Orange has a deal for $900 pesos ( good phone & minutes ) takes about 5 minutes and your out the door.
Claro has the same deal for about $750, both are good and no problems. I just gave mine away to my favorite shoe shine boy when I was done.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Orange has a deal for $900 pesos ( good phone & minutes ) takes about 5 minutes and your out the door.
Claro has the same deal for about $750, both are good and no problems. I just gave mine away to my favorite shoe shine boy when I was done.

So the deal was $900 pesos for a phone and minutes??? - - - - Approximately how many minutes? - --- If I need more minues, can I buy more? - - - Also, is the phone really a piece of crap? or can whoever I give it to upon leaving get some decent value out of it?

Sep 19, 2005
So the deal was $900 pesos for a phone and minutes??? - - - - Approximately how many minutes? - --- If I need more minues, can I buy more? - - - Also, is the phone really a piece of crap? or can whoever I give it to upon leaving get some decent value out of it?

yeah those phone will be fine for calls.

they probably dont have a camera nor are even capable of recieved the internet. Plus they probably have limited other features , maybe a short memory for numbers.

if you are goiong to give a phone to someone who doesnt have a phone..it will be a huge gift still!!!

and you can buy cards any place, especially in the cities at any stop light where the street vendors run up and down between the cars waiting hawking items, flowers, phone cards, peanuts, water, phone accessories ect ect..... you can buy time by the peso amount. 50, 100, 250 500, 600....I have never seen a card that had more than 600 peso of value though......you scratch off the coating on the serial number and call the phone company and give them your number.. they activate that moneys worth of time right there....

bob

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
With Orange I forgot how many minutes at the start, but I used it alot even called the US quite a bit. It lasted me about two full days. After that you need to purchase a new card $60 -$250 pesos. The phone, new... not great but a Dominican would'nt turn it down.

With Claro the phone was phone was sort of crappy. Just keep the reciet if you have a problem they'll gladly exchange it. Same deal just puchase new cards as needed. Neither one has resale value, But I've sinced called back and both phones still working.

Oh yeah, the cards are everywhere!

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Thanks! - - - I really don't like to take my RAZR out when I am in the DR. - It is nice to have in my pocket, but I don't want to chance loosing it with all of my phone numbers, etc.

So, it is sellled! - I will just get one of th phones that you guys are talking about. On 2 September, whoever can find me can have it!!!!

DAKRA
:bunny:

Feb 7, 2007
Orange:
===========
Alcatel E105 sells for 750 pesos, plus 200 activation, plus 100 airtime.
Total: 1050 pesos.

Motorola C122 sells for 990 pesos, plus 200 activatio, plus 100 airtime.
Total: 1290 pesos.

Both are very basic phones, no camera, no color screen, but OK to make phone calls and send occasional text message.

ALSO, NOTE, PLREASE:

- It is not that easy to just "donate" your phone. If you give it out without a SIM card, it will NOT be activated with a new SIM card (local regulations to prevent phone theft).

- If you donate it along with a SIM card, bear in mind SIM card is registered to your name (they've got your passport number and its copy), so anything that happens with the phone (used in crime, etc.) you may get into a trouble later.

- Also, bear in mind Orange allows only 3 different SIM card activations (3 different numbers) for each person (passport number) so if you keep giving phones and SIMs away, you may find the 4th time Orange will not activate more numbers (a new SIM card) under your name.

If you have time, TAKE THE TIME to go to Orange dealer along with the person whom you want to give the phone, and make the "trespaso de servico" - "service hand-over" to the new person. They've got to have cedula or passport to put it under their name. That way, you are realesed from the phone/SIM ownership and free to get a new one on your next visit to the DR.

Just keep that in mind... giving away phones to street kids may be noble, but consequences may be not... If you want to give it away, do it right!

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Orange:
===========
Just keep that in mind... giving away phones to street kids may be noble, but consequences may be not... If you want to give it away, do it right!

Good information - Thanks again. Now I have decided to just use my phone and throw away the damn SIM card that I bought specifically for the DR...

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Dude, if you plan on calling the states often take your phone and do the whole sim card schuffle routine.

If your just calling local, save your self some time and money and purchase the phones we told you about. ( no SIM CARD ).

As for giving it away, trust me they will know a least a 100 ways to benefit from the phone.

Don't spend your vacation over thinking simple things.

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
I just got my razon unlocked for 15USD in Boston the guy at the phone shop help copy all my numbers to the phone from the sim card, and told me that when I get to DR just to put an Orange sim card it should work fine, my cell phone carrier wanted $3.99 USD per minute to use the romming mode while in DR.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I just got my razon unlocked for 15USD in Boston the guy at the phone shop help copy all my numbers to the phone from the sim card, and told me that when I get to DR just to put an Orange sim card it should work fine, my cell phone carrier wanted $3.99 USD per minute to use the romming mode while in DR.

Thanks Tallman - I will do the same upon arriving in SD. Now I am worried about his damn storm that is arriving soon.

Feb 7, 2007
DAKRA, if T-mobile offers to unlock the phone for free, do it with them. They most likely would give you an unlock code. No need to take to repair shop. It's the safest method of all.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Just to make things even more complicated ! If you don't use an Orange SIM card for about 2 or 3 months the number will be automatically de-activated/canceled. Now I am not sure what happens when you go and get another one, I heard the number can be re-used so presumably it shouldn't count towards your 3 total (although it still might).

Either way I will find out and report back in Sep, as I will be doing exactly that.